Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by jimrckhnd View Post
    The problem is for me I have many early memories but I can't really be certain which one is the actual earlies memory I have. Moreover, some of them may be prompted by family stories. However, as best I can figure my earliest memory is shortly before my 2nd birthday.
    I know which ones of mine are real because they aren't anything someone would tell a story about. Who the heck would tell a story about the nightgown I had when I was three, the toys I played with in the living room in the afternoons when my dead grandmother was still alive, or about that time I started screaming for a Barbie in KMart?

Usually when adults tell stories about children they remember "important" things...like oh remember the time you fell down the stairs or on your 4th birthday or when you fought with your sister and broke my good china?

One of my grandfather's favorite stories was the story of when I almost died when I was two of a fever, I went into convulsions, and had to be rushed to the hospital. He'd never forget that, or the time he took me to Disneyworld.

You can probably discern which of your memories are your own in a similar manner.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

My earliest memory is playing with a blue and green plastic screwdriver and saw when I was somewhere around 2-2.5 years old. I can't actually remember which color went to which object, though. I can only place age because when I was about 4-5 I thought about that memory and realized that the room I was in for it was the room used at the daycare center for 2 year olds. My earliest image is a gorilla mask that my dad had apparently used when I was a little over a year and half old and which had terrified me. I didn't realize it was such an old memory until I asked what an image of a gorilla mask was supposed to be from.
    Ne > Ti > Si >> Te > Se >> Fe > Fi > Ni
    5 so/sp
    Chaotic Neutral/Evil

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I know which ones of mine are real because they aren't anything someone would tell a story about. Who the heck would tell a story about the nightgown I had when I was three, the toys I played with in the living room in the afternoons when my dead grandmother was still alive, or about that time I started screaming for a Barbie in KMart?

Usually when adults tell stories about children they remember "important" things...like oh remember the time you fell down the stairs or on your 4th birthday or when you fought with your sister and broke my good china?

One of my grandfather's favorite stories was the story of when I almost died when I was two of a fever, I went into convulsions, and had to be rushed to the hospital. He'd never forget that, or the time he took me to Disneyworld.

You can probably discern which of your memories are your own in a similar manner.
    That is a very good point. I can probably filter out some of the memories as suspect following your approach. I still have to figure out how to put them in order however. I can't put my finger on it but I just have this nagging suspicion that my memory of my memories is faulty. If that makes any sense.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

My earliest memory is about the neighbours house that burnt down when I was 4:

That does prolly explain the 50 propane gas canisters I have here and the twitching right eye that wants to burn something
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by jimrckhnd View Post
    That is a very good point. I can probably filter out some of the memories as suspect following your approach. I still have to figure out how to put them in order however. I can't put my finger on it but I just have this nagging suspicion that my memory of my memories is faulty. If that makes any sense.
    Well my memories I remember "being there." Like looking at the objects or feeling the presence of certain people. If your memories aren't that visual or auditory or whatever then it might be harder for you. I remember strange stuff like the irregularity of the wood patterns on the paneling in the hallway in our log cabin that I lived until I was 9, and that our clothes hamper was olive green, blah blah blah. That kind of stuff people don't tell you, and you just remember it as if you were there, looking at or touching the thing.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I have at least a couple of memories from when I was about two and a half. One was at the swimming pool where my older brother was taking lessons. My mom and I were up in the stands and I dropped this board book with a teddy bear on it over the railings. I remember feeling scared and seeing this tiny little face on the board book looking up at me.

I also remember my brother pushing me in the baby carriage, or stroller...not sure which...and he let go of me down this tiny little slope and the damn thing turned over.

In other words...two traumatic memories. Faint, but my parents have confirmed that they were real and not because I'd been told about them. I think I have a couple of other pre-reading memories, and I learned to read at age three. Like, being at our place of worship and not being able to read the words in the song book.

I find it really hard to quantify memory. Sometimes people tell me things that they experienced with me, or whatever, and it comes flooding back but till then I'd forgotten about it. I have tons of childhood memories, and a pretty vivid memory from about age 4 or 5, but I don't know how my memory compares to other people.

We were travelling from before I can remember and a couple of memorable early trips were to communist Russia for a few days - just before I turned 6, I think - and a sort of mini-grand tour of Europe my parents took us on just before I turned 8. While I think there are quite a lot of things I have forgotten from this trips too, I have a ton of extremely vivid memories from them. I will never forget being lifted up so that the guy at customs at the Finland-Russia border could compare my face properly to the passport pic. He smiled at me - Russians love children. He just looked like an adult to me but he was probably no more than 20. I remember that and sometimes wonder what his life became.

I have loads of memories of childhood toys, experiences, feelings, etc, at least from 4 or 5. Although I'm INFJ and it might not fit in that sense, I would think then that my sensory memories are quite strong, as I certainly have pictures in my head - more like film really or pictures flashing very quickly - and memories of how things felt to touch, etc. I even remember how the ticking of the clock in the downstairs hallway in my grandmother's house in Finland sounded/felt and the feeling it gave me, and it brings back a rush of nostalgia and emotion.

Since books are so important to me and have been since early childhood, it's common for me to remember what book I was reading or looking at in some pivotal moment or when I got some piece of news or whatever. I remember that when I found out Princess Di had died I was reading The Beethoven Medal by K M Peyton (of course, I was 18, I think.) Often when I listen to songs that my brother loved when I was young I remember reading a certain book or playing a certain computer game while listening to it - that sort of thing.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INTP

Well my memories I remember "being there." Like looking at the objects or feeling the presence of certain people. If your memories aren't that visual or auditory or whatever then it might be harder for you. I remember strange stuff like the irregularity of the wood patterns on the paneling in the hallway in our log cabin that I lived until I was 9, and that our clothes hamper was olive green, blah blah blah. That kind of stuff people don't tell you, and you just remember it as if you were there, looking at or touching the thing.
    One of my earliest memories is being very young and my mother and father going to one of her profs house to hang out at the pool and I feel in. I remember looking at all the bubbles and finding it very interesting - and my father blasting into the water close by and snatching me out of the pool. It happened so fast I was never frightened - but I do remember those bubbles.

I don't know how usual or unusual this is but some of my most powerful memory triggers are aroma. I also remember embarassment (which probably says more about my mental health than anything else ). I will have to attempt filtering out memories that are of significant events and then try to focus on auditory and visual memories as you suggest.

One of my earliest food memories was when I was four - we were stationed in Germany and we went to the Nurnburg christmas festival and I remember standing in line for wursts - it was cold and a little snowy and the smell of those sausages... sometimes if I try very hard I can bring that actual aroma back. It's a good memory and maybe no coincidence I love wurst to this day.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj

I kind of divide my life that way..this experience happened during the XYZ Era ...
    I do that too, but I don't nearly have as strong of memories as you do.
    MBTI: INFP
    Enneagram: 6w7, phobic
    Tritype: 6-9-2
    Instinctual Variant: Sx/Sp
    Temperament: Pure Supine
    D&D Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: Solid Liberal
    Religious Views: Atheist

Fi > Ne > Ti > Fe > Se > Si > Te > Ni

"Forgiveness means letting go of the past." ~ Gerald Jampolsky
    "I am justice!" ~ Light Yagami, Death Note
    "The choices people make tell you a lot about a person, but the reasons [...] tell you even more." ~ Albus Dumbledore (paraphrased)

Tatiana ♥

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    i remember this from third perspective(like i usually remember memories, older further away and newer closer) [...]
    What the...? Are your dreams in third-person too? Because I have an INTP friend that claims that all his dreams are in third-person, I'm just like . Is it an INTP thing? Or a 'T' thing?
    MBTI: INFP
    Enneagram: 6w7, phobic
    Tritype: 6-9-2
    Instinctual Variant: Sx/Sp
    Temperament: Pure Supine
    D&D Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: Solid Liberal
    Religious Views: Atheist

Fi > Ne > Ti > Fe > Se > Si > Te > Ni

"Forgiveness means letting go of the past." ~ Gerald Jampolsky
    "I am justice!" ~ Light Yagami, Death Note
    "The choices people make tell you a lot about a person, but the reasons [...] tell you even more." ~ Albus Dumbledore (paraphrased)

Tatiana ♥

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Hazashin View Post
    I do that too, but I don't nearly have as strong of memories as you do.
    Your memories may simply not be as sensory as mine, because you give priority to other kinds of thinking, I don't know. As I grew older I shifted into different kinds of thought, read more and reflected more, so I still have intense sensory memories from my entire life, but it's also mixed in with periods of being more "internal" in my head so of course my memories of certain events or time periods aren't going to have as much sensory detail.

It's not a photographic memory because I don't look at a page and memorize the words printed there like a snapshot.

I'm only left to presume it has something to do with more strongly preferring sensing or "being in the moment."

I remember in high school my ENFJ bff saying that she had a hard time conjuring up sensory imagery very strongly when she tried to meditate, when I told her about how I could meditate like say on an orange, the feel, the sight, the smell, and the taste of it.

I don't want to suggest it's absolutely linked to cognition though, but it might suggest that yes, you give more preference to sensing...or not.