Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecTcelfeR View Post
    But remembering that is still quite impressive, especially at such an early age.
    I don't know if this is related to cognition (sensing and feeling first, so heightened awareness of environment and emotional impact or personal meaning) or genes...my grandfather's ESTJ wife used to express annoyance that he and I, and my great-aunt Kate (and my mother does this too, and so does my uncle) ...have such a loooong memory for the past. My great-aunt Kate could tell you everything that had happened since 1928. My mother is like a walking memory bank of our family, and her childhood. It really bugged ESTJ like we valued something she simply could not understand.

She was a total Si aux, though, and the fact that I am aware of this makes me realize just how much "memory" is separate from Si.

But then there's my one sister, who tests as ENFP (I don't know...she acts ESTP sometimes...) who claims she doesn't remember much until she was about 8. My mother thinks this is preposterous.

I kind of think that way too...someone on here said his memory is bad and that he doesn't remember much of his early childhood at all and thinks people who say they can are lying..and I'm like...I thought people like you were lying, or something was wrong with you.

LOL.

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I don't know if this is related to cognition (sensing and feeling first, so heightened awareness of environment and emotional impact or personal meaning) or genes...my grandfather's ESTJ wife used to express annoyance that he and I, and my great-aunt Kate (and my mother does this too, and so does my uncle) ...have such a loooong memory for the past. My great-aunt Kate could tell you everything that had happened since 1928. My mother is like a walking memory bank of our family, and her childhood. It really bugged ESTJ like we valued something she simply could not understand.

She was a total Si aux, though, and the fact that I am aware of this makes me realize just how much "memory" is separate from Si.

But then there's my one sister, who tests as ENFP (I don't know...she acts ESTP sometimes...) who claims she doesn't remember much until she was about 8. My mother thinks this is preposterous.

I kind of think that way too...someone on here said his memory is bad and that he doesn't remember much of his early childhood at all and thinks people who say they can are lying..and I'm like...I thought people like you were lying, or something was wrong with you.

LOL.
    My memory is weird. Almost all my memories are just vague feelings. There is hardly anything concrete to them. I can summon colors at times, but beyond that it is very difficult for me to form a visual memory. It's weird because from a very early age my very first memories or thought processes were of relationships between individuals. It felt like I understood why they did what they were doing without ever having experienced. If you asked me to recall any memory though... We'd be out of luck. I'm one of those people, hahaha. I can understand why it'd be weird to most, but I don't see why you couldn't have such great detail in thought. I envy my brother for his memory.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecTcelfeR View Post
    My memory is weird. Almost all my memories are just vague feelings. There is hardly anything concrete to them. I can summon colors at times, but beyond that it is very difficult for me to form a visual memory. It's weird because from a very early age my very first memories or thought processes were of relationships between individuals. It felt like I understood why they did what they were doing without ever having experienced. If you asked me to recall any memory though... We'd be out of luck. I'm one of those people, hahaha. I can understand why it'd be weird to most, but I don't see why you couldn't have such great detail in thought. I envy my brother for his memory.
    I can almost TASTE the cherry 7Up my step-monster bought for me when I was 8 when my grandfather went on a business trip to the Dominican Republic and she and I were camping out in the living room to make it an adventure. I vividly remember the smell of my grandfather's old lunch pail, a strange mixture of plastic and orange peels, with maybe just a hint of coffee. I can feel sand under my feet and feel the way wind feels between my fingers driving fast in a car as you get closer to the Atlantic ocean (this is more like from my late teens/early twenties) ...my sensory memory is hella strong.

But I am terrible with a great deal of external organization, linear thought, or technical details..and I'm certainly not cautious about experience or information...for it to be Si.

I was very confused on Si being linked to memory for a long time, just because they do place so much importance comparing new information to similar information.

ESFPs are supposed to be "story tellers" anyway. I really wonder how much this has to do with cognition versus other traits (like simply having the form of intelligence that involves strong long-term memory).

I think it's interesting that some of the people here can pinpoint a particular memory and say "aha! that is the first!" and not have it all run together as a cohesive conglomeration of experiences during a similar time period.

I kind of divide my life that way..this experience happened during the XYZ Era ...

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I can almost TASTE the cherry 7Up my step-monster bought for me when I was 8 when my grandfather went on a business trip to the Dominican Republic and she and I were camping out in the living room to make it an adventure. I vividly remember the smell of my grandfather's old lunch pail, a strange mixture of plastic and orange peels, with maybe just a hint of coffee. I can feel sand under my feet and feel the way wind feels between my fingers driving fast in a car as you get closer to the Atlantic ocean (this is more like from my late teens/early twenties) ...my sensory memory is hella strong.

But I am terrible with a great deal of external organization, linear thought, or technical details..and I'm certainly not cautious about experience or information...for it to be Si.

I was very confused on Si being linked to memory for a long time, just because they do place so much importance comparing new information to similar information.

ESFPs are supposed to be "story tellers" anyway. I really wonder how much this has to do with cognition versus other traits (like simply having the form of intelligence that involves strong long-term memory).

I think it's interesting that some of the people here can pinpoint a particular memory and say "aha! that is the first!" and not have it all run together as a cohesive conglomeration of experiences during a similar time period.

I kind of divide my life that way..this experience happened during the XYZ Era ...
    I don't know if thought actually has anything to do with memory, or at least a direct link. Disorders like PTSD are interesting because it isn't just another part of their memory, but it is emphasized by the emotional impact that occurred which fuels the fit (stereotypically linking it to Fx). That's why they're able to remember it so vividly. I think though part of memory is sensory, because the only thing that should be able to trigger a memory is that same object that first created the memory. I think Si is linked because the sensory stimulus that is being recalled is particular to them. Of course the memory wouldn't always be evoked it would just be the sensation they chose to emphasize and perhaps remember that specific part of the physical memory, thus why it is so detailed. While on the other hand Se is trying to encapsulate the whole event thus in a sense devaluing it specificity. They remember the conglomeration of the event, but things like how the 7-UP felt in comparison to other items would be lost. So I think you could be evoking Si when you retrieve memories like that.

/crackpot

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

My great grandmother scolding me for laughing at the Christian creation myth, getting lost in a forest and walking into a field that had a strange moving witch-house in the middle of it, driving in my uncle's car and being fascinated by the steering wheel, followed by this cartoon, fishing with my grandfather on a boat in early morning mist and dragging my hand in the water as he paddled.

It's difficult to place them on an accurate timeline, but I can still very much feel the way I felt back then.
    Likes Noon liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Watching the "shock and awe" deployments in Iraq on CNN, my mother being scared because my father was working downtown during the Rodney King riots, an earthquake happening and my mother yelling at me not to go too near the sliding glass door because it was buckling, biting one of my nannies and having to apologize for it afterwards, spraying perfume in my eyes at a department store, a boy in my class asking me to marry him because he said I looked like the girl from the Thriller video, eating berries and clovers in the backyard, the sensation of weightlessness when my dad would toss me into my aunt's pool, popsicles.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

i was bit over 2 years old(im born in october and this happened in winter), i had learned how to walk on my own properly. i remember my mom telling me not to put my tongue in metal objects, because it gets stuck on it(she had told me this before and i was aware of this fact, i think i had tested it with moist finger or something since i had some idea how easily it gets stuck). so ofc i had to test the limits and lick a street light really fast, i remember that i thought that it wouldnt get stuck if i did it fast enough, but since it was pretty cold, i was wrong..

i remember this from third perspective(like i usually remember memories, older further away and newer closer) and i remember which street light it was, not just in what place, but which side of the bridge and i think it was third or fourth one.

i remember quite many things from early childhood, i remember some totally random things when we were living this place that we moved out before i was 3. also i remember one dream very vividly from when i was like about 4.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    IsFJ

I can't pinpoint my earliest one, but most of my memories are related to my geekiness.

Playing Pokémon Silver or reading in the benches of the playground... Browsing chat rooms... Raising a friend's eyebrow for watching CCS... Playing my Nintendo 64 (my first console!)... Watching the other kids playing Yu-Gi-Oh (I was never quite into it)... Watching cartoons in the big TV in my folks' bedroom (we lived in an apartment back then)... Reading a big book about the zodiac...

Ah, good times...

MBTI
    INFP

A dog bit me when I was trying to pet it . And then going to a hospital.
    Hot-hearted head

My earliest memories... I can't remember which is earlier than which.

I'll list more than one just to be sure.

1 - I shared a room with my sister. Our beds were side by side, but distant enough for two people to walk between them simultaneously. We lived in an apartment on the second floor near to a street, some street, I think. But somehow also near to a railroad.

At night when it was time for us to sleep, my mother would put on these really beautiful nightlights and play Disney soundtracks for us. Pocahontas, The Lion King, the old ones (in a related memory, I used to own a Pocahontas costume and I'd play as her in my friends' games of make-believe).

Every other night, I'd also hear the train's whistle somewhere in the distance, and that was one of my favorite parts of going to sleep - that and the night air, because it was so cool and calm. I used to dream about hopping on a train, a flying ship (like those in Peter Pan), or a children's car, and traveling to somewhere far away with much more "magic" and wonder than the real world; adults also did not exist there, lol. Funnily enough, I still have many dreams about traveling somewhere far away.

2 - Preschool, I think. A big, reddish-colored but smooth circle track, that I'd go around and around on with one of the tricycles. Inside, I liked to play house.

3 - We were going cross-country by Greyhound (to see distant family). I loved the feeling of being so free and untied down - loved traveling in general for that reason - like every day was a movie or something. I loved the air, the rain, the scenery, and the feeling of being on those buses with so many other people. I had one of my elder sister's cassette players, with many songs on repeat that I probably won't ever find and hear again.

I miss 1 and 3 the absolute most.