User Tag List

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default Decorating Your Personality

Something interesting that came up during that conversation: I really do like myself despite occasional bouts of self-doubt. For a while now, I've viewed myself as a piece of shit art. (haha) I've spent a lot of time decorating my personality with ideas, skills, traits, and knowledge to make my painting interesting. Not to make it better than any others, or to make other people like it, but to make it interesting to me.

Decorations include: humor, silliness, knowledge of fringe theories, the paranormal, psychology, cultivating a certain view and understanding of human behavior (zoological), wisdom (as best I can), compassion, emotional self-intimacy (again, as best I can), sexy-time skills, gentleness, fashion-sensitivity, and an interesting (albeit scattered) job history. I don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

Decorations I'd like to add: good father, psychologist, cook a few basic dishes, bonsai trimmer, craftman, handyman, more voice overs, author, more in touch with history (especially my own lineage), publish some songs, travel a bit more (?), invent something.

What about you guys?

MBTI
    GONE

Alright, I'll get the party started. :pushes up sleeves:

First, congrats on liking yourself! I hope that's sincere. Self improvement is it's own reward (and I think there's another INTP in another thread who could use your advice)

In re: OP -- The term 'decorate' in terms of skills or personality doesn't resonate with me. I don't think I quite get what you mean. When I think 'decorate' I think more superficial and I identify that with appearance (and we can go there if you want)

I have pursued a lot of interests because I personally find them interesting, though I also know that having that skill/interest/experience makes me a more 'interesting/accomplished/well-rounded person'. I feel like I'm collecting skills and levelling up in an RPG -- but IRL!

Honestly, I don't feel more interesting because of them. Or maybe I'm too much of an Enneagram 3 and I want more. While they do contribute in/directly to my personal development I feel like 90% of who I am is basically set and you will either find my core/essence/personality interesting or not regardless of what hobbies, skills, I have... The self-improvement for me is really more selfish and focused on basically feeling better about myself

Though I have met people who have accomplished a lot or have exceptional life experiences and I do think it makes them an interesting person on paper -- like extensive world travel, independentally wealthy at 28, intimate connection to historical event or figure. But...even then, if you were to sit across from them and talk to them and didn't know these things, would you find them interesting? Be more attracted to them? Not necessarily so. There are lots of people you'd find personally boring who've done amazing things or have amazing life stories to share. And lots of people who you are drawn to that resume/life wise don't distinguish themselves.

I dunno, I'm being un-brief again.

So...I'll think about the answer after you explain more what you mean
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Something interesting that came up during that conversation: I really do like myself despite occasional bouts of self-doubt. For a while now, I've viewed myself as a piece of shit art. (haha) I've spent a lot of time decorating my personality with ideas, skills, traits, and knowledge to make my painting interesting. Not to make it better than any others, or to make other people like it, but to make it interesting to me.

Decorations include: humor, silliness, knowledge of fringe theories, the paranormal, psychology, cultivating a certain view and understanding of human behavior (zoological), wisdom (as best I can), compassion, emotional self-intimacy (again, as best I can), sexy-time skills, gentleness, fashion-sensitivity, and an interesting (albeit scattered) job history. I don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

Decorations I'd like to add: good father, psychologist, cook a few basic dishes, bonsai trimmer, craftman, handyman, more voice overs, author, more in touch with history (especially my own lineage), publish some songs, travel a bit more (?), invent something.

What about you guys?
    Are you talking about skills you could buy when you level up - to use an RPG analogy? As in... I gained a year and some experience, I'd like to get "handyman - experienced user" this time?

If so, I'd want to buy :

Amateur Artist (I'd love to be able to paint... I am like a two year old when you give me an easel)

Advanced Traveller/Tourist (I already love to travel, I'd love it to be a full time fun job)

Ancient Historian (pontificator of wisdom of the ages level 3)

Hmm.. and that's just the letter A!

Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Hmmm interesting- I like the description of Decorations that a person has and wants to add.

Decorations I have- Flair, Personality- I am a character, Overactive Sense of Humor, Artistic, True Blue, Sensitivity and Empathy, I pick up on other people's feelings and pay attention to body and face language, Intuitive, can amuse myself easily, am happy go lucky, I like that I wake up in a good mood and wake up happy, am constantly and consciencely making a journey towards personal growth and want my relationships to be on a constant growth journey as well- I want things to be at optimum capacity- not just good but great and getting even better, I love to learn, I like the fact that I do things that make no sense and keep the thinkers on their toes in fascination and frustration,lol, I like my inner megalomaniac bent on house domination.

Decorations I would like to add- stronger confidence in social situations, to not sound like I have the i.q. of mayo when I speak,lol, I am like that with people I don't know well or feel get me, to be able to stand up for myself and speak up more and be more direct, I would love to be able to tell off an ENTJ girl in RL that gets on my nerves to no end-to be able to tell someone off period when they are being a jerk, to be a good mother, to be more well rounded, to not take everything so personally, to actually like people as I don't like most people,lol.

Decorations that others would like me to get rid of but I won't because I enjoy them,
    Neurodic, Tempermental, Complicated, Emotional, Silly at inappropriate times, Love for Rocking the Boat- stirring people up and putting the system on trial
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Alright, I'll get the party started. :pushes up sleeves:

First, congrats on liking yourself! I hope that's sincere. Self improvement is it's own reward (and I think there's another INTP in another thread who could use your advice)

In re: OP -- The term 'decorate' in terms of skills or personality doesn't resonate with me. I don't think I quite get what you mean. When I think 'decorate' I think more superficial and I identify that with appearance (and we can go there if you want)

I have pursued a lot of interests because I personally find them interesting, though I also know that having that skill/interest/experience makes me a more 'interesting/accomplished/well-rounded person'. I feel like I'm collecting skills and levelling up in an RPG -- but IRL!

Honestly, I don't feel more interesting because of them. Or maybe I'm too much of an Enneagram 3 and I want more. While they do contribute in/directly to my personal development I feel like 90% of who I am is basically set and you will either find my core/essence/personality interesting or not regardless of what hobbies, skills, I have... The self-improvement for me is really more selfish and focused on basically feeling better about myself

Though I have met people who have accomplished a lot or have exceptional life experiences and I do think it makes them an interesting person on paper -- like extensive world travel, independentally wealthy at 28, intimate connection to historical event or figure. But...even then, if you were to sit across from them and talk to them and didn't know these things, would you find them interesting? Be more attracted to them? Not necessarily so. There are lots of people you'd find personally boring who've done amazing things or have amazing life stories to share. And lots of people who you are drawn to that resume/life wise don't distinguish themselves.

I dunno, I'm being un-brief again.

So...I'll think about the answer after you explain more what you mean
    Geoff's RPG analogy explains it.

The decorating metaphor flows out of the image of personality being a work of art, akin to a lego project. You collect cool pieces and build this ultra-awesome spaceship, and when it gets kinda boring, you add new pieces and spice things up again.

With that said: where is your space ship now? Do you like it? What pieces would you like to add on?

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Frank Zappa said something like this about our selection of music, how we choose it as a sort of wall-paper for our lives. To reinforce our idea of ourselves. I didn't like this idea myself. The implication seems to be that we are all affectation.

Following your instinctual whims...your small loves and temporary obsessions will round you out nicely, given time.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

MBTI
    INTP

Do decorations have to be positive? Because some negative things can be good for the soul.

Decoration(s): good listener, quiet, respectful of perspective, ideas and people, eccentric, cynical, original, creative (in a fashion sense), humorous, emotional.

Decoration(s) I would like to add: extrovert, easily able to make new friends, more firm with decisions, thinks things out logically, thinks of all the consequences before planning something, analytical, mathematical, better writing skills, positive self-image, more artistic, concentration skills.

That's a lot to load into my shopping basket, yes?
    "I can write better than anybody who can write faster, and I can write faster than anybody who can write better."
    - A. J. Liebling