User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. How to appease someone who has that desire to laugh, hang out, cook meals together, etc. Do you have any examples of how to 'be inviting'?
    For me, I always try to search for a common interest. It could be as simple as watching the same show together every week, or eating a dinner cooked at the house. If you're not the sort to propose ideas like this, mayhap see what she is doing and try to engage with her. Simple things like "How are you?" and such help a lot. If you're invisible, you're treated as invisible.. so just simply being seen every so often could be enough too.

I dunno about others, but I'm not a particularly picky extrovert. I watch trash TV because my sister enjoys it. I first got into Starcraft 2 because my brother wanted to play with me. I bought diablo because I played with my father. My best friend and I watch movies together. I think activities are what make that invitation less.. awkward. or off. Maybe. :c But I'm always willing to teach someone a new game or boardgame, or teach them to play magic or watch a series of shows with them if it means bonding with them as a result.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm sitting in a room with another human.

HALP.

All has gone well so far. She seems nice. We've chatted about the basics... Where she's from, and such. She was in the air force, repairing airplanes or something. She doesn't want to do that forever so now she's going to school.

I asked her if she wanted to go out and grab dinner or something tonight since she doesn't have any groceries yet, and she said no.

We're watching some bad girly movie that I've never seen right now. Devil Wears Prada.

So far so good.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

ThatGirl

She sounds like a keeper.

MBTI
    INFP

We're watching some bad girly movie that I've never seen right now. Devil Wears Prada.

So far so good.
    No spoilers -- I still haven't seen that movie yet.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

GOOD NEWS!

We talked about the subject of partying. I left my vodka sitting in the kitchen (I should have thought about that and hidden it) which gave her the impression that maybe I was a partier. I told her I wasn't, and told her the crazy stories about my old roommates. She was like, "Oh good. Because I'm kind of quiet and I hate loud parties."

Exxxxxxxxcellent.

Everything is going better than expected.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

One word, socialize. Spend some time socializing with your roommate(s [depending on your room configuration] .) It could be something like spending a night together, or something more drastic like hanging out often. Find "something" to do every so often.

In a roommate setting like a college campus, some people choose to live on campus for that purpose and to experience other people. After all, you are living with people.... right? .

Dali

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Also, I like doing this thing my friend calls "parallel play" where you and another person or other people are just doing your own thing, but in a shared space. Like surfing the internet, or reading, watching TV/cooking, whatnot. You don't really interact completely just be near each other. You can make an occasional comment or share a funny link or something, but no pressure.
    I love that. Back in university, I was living with two male flatmates (ISTP & ESFJ) and 70% of our time together was spent like that. It was pretty cool.

We then got a female ESFP flatmate for a month. She was funny and lovable and all but... she just wouldn't stop talking.

Dali

Update.

MBTI
    SEXY

• Ask them about their day/week/weekend/holiday etc. when you meet them in the hall.
    • Offer to help them when they're moving in.
    • Have dinner, drinks or play a game together at least about once or twice a month.
    • And off course, the obvious, keep the house clean together. Don't strive for a perfectly clean and spotless house, especcially not if you're living with students, but you can and should point out if they make a mess of things.
    (removed)

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII

I've had A LOT of bad experience with roommates. Admittedly, I have had some very immature and very crazy roommates, but at some point I have to take responsibility over the fact that I am the common denominator, and I'm probably hard to live with to some people.

I think I would be a fantastic roommate. I hide in my room, I barely talk, I don't make much noise. I'm like a ghost. A ghost that CLEANS EVERYTHING. But I have come to the realization that if my roommate were as awkward and introverted as I am, they would love that.... But for an extrovert? That's hell. They're pretty much alone, and they can't even talk to the person they live with.

TL;DR: Give someone who is PAINFULLY introverted advice on how to be a good roommate to an extrovert. Or a good roommate in general.
    What? You don't need to change, you're like the friendlier version of me which is a godsend in a wasteland of shitty roommates. Most of my roommates have been extroverted; they were fuckin' annoying and shat their pants when I'd blatantly ignore them. Have you actually tried looking for introverted roommates?
    “'Fuck', I think. What a beautiful word. If I could say only one thing for the rest of my life, that would be it.”