User Tag List

First 78910 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I can read, too, you know.
    Hooray for a good, free public education system!
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Well, now Nutella just sucks.

In Germany, are swastikas considered "NSFW"?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Well, now Nutella just sucks.
    More evidence that Americans are clueless about food.

In Germany, are swastikas considered "NSFW"?
    Not just that. In Germany and Austria (and apparently a few other states) the use of the swastika is illegal unless it is used for "educational purposes".

I'll just quote Wikipedia:

The German and Austrian postwar criminal code makes the public showing of the Hakenkreuz (the swastika),the SS-Rune(also called Sigrune),the Celtic cross (the variations used by the White-Power-Activists), the wolfsrune, the odalrune and the SS-Skull(which was used by the so called, SS-Totenkopfdivision")illegal, except for scholarly reasons. It is even censored from the illustrations on boxes of model kits, and the decals that come in the box. Modellers seeking an accurate rendition often have to either stencil on the marking, or purchase separate decals. It is also censored from the reprints of 1930s railway timetables published by the Reichsbahn. The eagle remains, but appears to be holding a solid black circle between its talons. The swastikas on Hindu, Buddhist, and Jain temples are exempt, as religious symbols cannot be banned in Germany.
    I know a few people who are into strategy games (war games) and they say it can be hard to import an American game about WWII into Germany because the customs service might detain the package and question you if there are swastikas on the box of a game about, say, Stalingrad.

EDIT: Also, a few years ago there was a court case against a young man who had an anti-fascist badge on his jacket. They look like this and are very common:

(a modification of the "don't litter" icon)

The state I liove in is particularly strict (and conservative). the judge argued that the badge should not be allowed because, brace yourself, it could be interopreted as pro-fascist since was unclear if the figure was throwing the swastika into the trash or picking it out of the trash can. I kid you not!!! I think the guy ended up winning the case though, but I'm not sure.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Ehmm, you do know that I am not a communist, right?
    No.
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=commie
    Derogatory name for a Communist.

Related words : Pinko
    Anyway, the standard answer would be that people have a natural drive to be active and productive and that people going by their natural talents and being allowed to explore those would leave you with a lot of people doing what they are really good at rather than what they could find to pay the rent.
    Interesting. Good answer.

This thread is turning far too serious
    You don't need to answer serious questions seriously. Rasofy has taken this art to a new level.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I have a question:

While you may not agree with the substance of their beliefs, do you see merit in the positions of conservatives? (assume for the purposes of this discussion that I'm talking about Conservatives in the vein of Saxby Chambliss and Olympia Snowe)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sarcasm

I was making fun of people who are so rightwing they call moderate liberals and socialdemocrats "pinko commies". I also thought that was pretty obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I have a question:

While you may not agree with the substance of their beliefs, do you see merit in the positions of conservatives? (assume for the purposes of this discussion that I'm talking about Conservatives in the vein of Saxby Chambliss and Olympia Snowe)
    Yes, I do. Not all positions, of course, but I usually try to understand where they are coming from. In the case of religiously motivated positions that is more difficult (since I am an atheist) than in say questions of different economic strategies. And when it comes to purely academic debate I will always appreciate an intelligent opponent to a dumb ally.
    What one understands by "conservative" can of course vary greatly. In my country, religion is rarely an issue in politics, debate turns more around taxes and welfare reform and foreign politics. Right now it is all about the Euro.
    I am not really familiar with the interna of the Republican Party, but going by the information I have their moderate wing needs and deserves all the support it can get.
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

You also knew Germans have no sense of humor, right?
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Can we share a tree community together and dress like fairies and discuss philosophy? And then go to a nude beach and drink wine and eat little healthy sandwiches, while reading Douglas Adams and laughing every 5 seconds? And then hike nude? Btw, how do you avoid ticks and thorns when hiking nude?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Can we share a tree community together and dress like fairies and discuss philosophy? And then go to a nude beach and drink wine and eat little healthy sandwiches, while reading Douglas Adams and laughing every 5 seconds? And then hike nude? Btw, how do you avoid ticks and thorns when hiking nude?
    That sounds more like Oregon

Not sure about thorns, but these helped me rid my old cat of ticks:

A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari