First 23456 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

How can I become Eurotrash without actually living in Europe?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    How can I become Eurotrash without actually living in Europe?
    An understandable but ambitious wish.

Start by smoking like a chimney, drink wine instead of beer and watch a load of arthouse films. Next, get a pair of jeans that look like glued to your body, have a gay or metro friend help you with your wardrobe selection . Sell your car, riding to work on a bycycle (public transport only allowed on rainy days) should help with that. Learning the basics of some foreign language you'll never need (Craotian is very fashionable at the moment) is optional but helps.
    And don't forget to post some very, very deep pseudo-intellectual thoughts on facebook on mondays, wednesdays and fridays and vent your anger on American politics and how much better you would handle everything on tuesdays, thursdays and saturdays. Sundays are off, but only ironically of course.
    There, now you are Eurotrash (albeit a beginner). That entitles you to go to enjoy our nudist beache or create one right in your community, they will thank you later.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    An understandable but ambitious wish.

Start by smoking like a chimney, drink wine instead of beer and watch a load of arthouse films. Next, get a pair of jeans that look like glued to your body, have a gay or metro friend help you with your wardrobe selection . Sell your car, riding to work on a bycycle (public transport only allowed on rainy days) should help with that. Learning the basics of some foreign language you'll never need (Craotian is very fashionable at the moment) is optional but helps.
    And don't forget to post some very, very deep pseudo-intellectual thoughts on facebook on mondays, wednesdays and fridays and vent your anger on American politics and how much better you would handle everything on tuesdays, thursdays and saturdays. Sundays are off, but only ironically of course.
    There, now you are Eurotrash (albeit a beginner). That entitles you to go to enjoy our nudist beache or create one right in your community, they will thank you later.
    hahahaha

ok..... and now I have to go and delete some things on my facebook page
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

How would a self-described tree hugging pinko deal with a crackpot like Muammar Gaddafi?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    I zink ve need to haf a serious talk, comrade!
    Oh I have no doubts about that. Don't worry, your top secret work is safe with me.

figsfiggyfigs

Why are you so cool???

<jelly>

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Would you say your views are actually typically representative of the majority of people in your country?
    If not, provide one example of a political or cultural opinion that you think is starkly opposed to the majority opinion.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Sniffles

So tell us Red, where are you hiding Yvonne?

[youtube="V0yoLpWJ7X0"]Germans love cows apparently[/youtube]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    How would a self-described tree hugging pinko deal with a crackpot like Muammar Gaddafi?
    Him in particular or nasty dictators in general? As an internationalist I can get behind a UN mandat to protect civilians from their own government, but I don't think things are quite as clear cut in Lybia. The rebels are apparently a very mixed motley crew.
    The problem as I see it is not the intervention itself but
    -when to intervent (there are so many oppressive regimes and it often seems very curious when and why other nations and/or the international community decide(s) to intervene or not
    - who intervenes
    - why
    - how (using what degree of violence)
    - and with what objective

...a lot depends on those factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Would you say your views are actually typically representative of the majority of people in your country?
    If not, provide one example of a political or cultural opinion that you think is starkly opposed to the majority opinion.
    If I were absolutely typical the thread title would simply be Ask A European. I do know that I am somewhere around here --x-------- in my country. The majority is more conservative than I am but there is also still quite a lot of space to my left.

BUT there is pretty much a public consensus that:
    - death penalty is barbaric and medieval (if you want to join the EU, you've got to abolish it)
    - a gun does not belong in a home unless you live in the country and are a hunter or memner in a shooting club (those are mostly for socializing and preserving local folklore)
    - war and violence can only be an absolute last resort
    - the military is a neccessity but nothing glorious or something to be proud of
    - equal rights for LGBT folks should be a given
    - religion is a private affair that should definitely stay out of schools and has nothing to do with politics, those who are church members (many aren't) often only go once a year if at all
    - even the most religious wouldn't defend creationism
    - there is a certain awareness that our ressources are limited and consumtion has to be reduced. Germany had the first Green party and was the first country to have a green party in the government, we are currently starting to finally shut down all nuclear power plants and the country is a leader in alternative energies; in my town the green party has won almost ab third of the vote and the federal state I live in is currently run by the Greens as senior partner in a coalition with the socialdemocrats (and this is a very conservative state!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    So tell us Red, where are you hiding Yvonne?
    I'm not telling.

Actually, I have heard about that cow but don't think it's as big a thing as the video suggests. It's summer, there are no news to report and the media try to kindle a story similar to that of Bruno the Bear (I even posted an article about him in my blog back than after finding out that even the Economist reported about Bruno)
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Why do so many Germans hike in the nude?

What Eurotrash cigs do you prefer to smoke?