User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    This doesn't sound good. I've never experienced this myself, but the kind of murmuring/crying etc. you describe sounds like the beginning of hearing voices.

The sooner you address this, the sooner you take meds, the more sanity you'll have. Mental illness, like cancer, will ravage you the longer it's left untreated. It can be contained fairly well if you address it consistently at a young enough age.

I hear songs in my head a lot, but they're in my head, and it's just because I listen to music so much. I don't actually "hear" the music, I just wake up with songs in my head like some people would wake up with other kinds of thoughts in their head.

SO...be sure you're actually "hearing" things because that is different than having a song stuck in your head.
    Hah. Thanks for your concern. I do actually hear the sounds, but it doesn't really threaten my reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia

Have fun. This isn't a symptom of any sort of crazy.

Hey, yeah, this is it. ( We're in Victor territory now). I can pretty check everything here off the list. The real interesting stuff are the ideas I have. I'm not alseep, but I'm thinking and my thought slips into a different state, where things don't stay in their catagories. It feels like synthesia for ideas. I think of something awesome, but I can't translate it to rl. It feels like I'm trying to pull some sort of awesome idea in from a different dimension an it just kind of flops around when it gets here, like a misborn monstrosity.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post

Hey, yeah, this is it. ( We're in Victor territory now). I can pretty check everything here off the list. The real interesting stuff are the ideas I have. I'm not alseep, but I'm thinking and my thought slips into a different state, where things don't stay in their catagories. It feels like synthesia for ideas. I think of something awesome, but I can't translate it to rl. It feels like I'm trying to pull some sort of awesome idea in from a different dimension an it just kind of flops around when it gets here, like a misborn monstrosity.
    Ne.

Ginkgo

I once wrote a fraction of a term paper during a hypnagogic state. Though it received a very high grade, I didn't even recognize some of the thoughts I poured into it while reading it the day after. Since I was curious, I researched a few of the phrases and, surprisingly, they made sense within the context. Strange, huh? The process of writing flowed easily and required only a pinch of effort. If I could write that way all the time, I would.

Also, I know exactly what you're talking about with the murmurs. For me, it sounds like being in a crowd full of muffled voices... It's almost soggy feeling. On a few occasions, I've heard the laughter of some asshole during that inbetween period. Asshole.

It's not uncommon for people to experience hallucinations in sleep deprived states, but that may be an entirely different process.

I think there's a strong link between hypnagogia and intuition, as intuition is perception via the unconscious, and dreaming takes place in an unconscious state.

ThatGirl

The two creepiest for me is when it sounds like a single person speaking in a foreign language, or when I hear my name abruptly shouted and actually fully awake because of it.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I've had that shouting my name thing happen too. It really is disturbing. It's funny that this subject never comes up in usual conversation, I wonder how many people experience this sort of thing. I do wonder how this is, like Ginkgo said, correlated to N.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I've had that shouting my name thing happen too. It really is disturbing. It's funny that this subject never comes up in usual conversation, I wonder how many people experience this sort of thing. I do wonder how this is, like Ginkgo said, correlated to N.
    Well it's like what you said; you were in this nebulous idea blob thing where nothing is definite (lacking definition from a judging faculty), you wanted to carry those ideas out in a demonstrable way, (I think that's what you're getting at, right) which sounds like extraversion. It's like you're tapping into a sea of endless possibilities.

I'm not saying hypnagogia is exclusive to intuitives, but it bears many resemblances to the function and I'm willing to bet there's a strong overlap.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I have hypnagogic episodes quite frequently. One of the worst is when a TV is playing nearby and I start to incorporate the audio from it into a "dream stream". This has to be the worst though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome

Not fun or funny. Scariest shit ever.

MBTI
    ISTx

Yall R Weird

MBTI
    ESFJ

@Ginkgo .. Although i am grateful you know the answer to this, my bubble has been burst Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    I have hypnagogic episodes quite frequently. One of the worst is when a TV is playing nearby and I start to incorporate the audio from it into a "dream stream". This has to be the worst though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome

Not fun or funny. Scariest shit ever.
    Thats fricking scary.

I wonder .. do you guys have any other issues with sleep? Stop breathing, sleep walking, talking aloud, insomnia, etc ..

I am unsure if it is an N phenomenon as i am on the cusp of S/N unless as i fall to sleep or meditate i go into N world .. Actually that may explain a lot .. As i trip out big time while asleep.
    Hmmmm .. Food for thought.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

I had a lot of trouble with this when I was younger. There were a few times where I heard someone shout my name, I'd get up and go to my parents room and ask them why they were screaming for me. They never knew what I was talking about...
    One night I heard growling in my room (and we didn't have any animals) and it made me scared stiff. I've never really been able to know if it's real or not because I've been in that in between state of sleep and waking. I think the most frequent occurrence of this for me is actually physical; my bed being pushed up from underneath and seeing little specks of things running around the darkness, almost little shots of electricity. I have no idea what this entails, but I'm pretty sure I can identify with the OP's original thought.

Edit; This doesn't usually happen while I'm fully awake, just in that in between state. I don't have that trouble much anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.