123 Last

Thread: The Eye Roll

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Default The Eye Roll

The Eye Roll

In lieu of a post-theater review on Rise of the Planet of the Apes, I have observed the evolutionary differences between apes and humans. No, this won't be a spoiler - you can ask your local nerd at a comic book store for that - this is a thread about the eyes of the two comparable species. Now, eyes were an evolutionary plot device in the movie. Out in the real world, eyes are no less significant. Eyes are important, especially since the human eye is quite different than our banana-eating counterparts. Curious George doesn't have colored irises with a backdrop of white and encircling black pupils. Believe me, I've checked - search him on deviantart - most apes just don't look the same of us (hold the Ron Perlman jokes), but what does that have to do with eye rolling?

Well, in a study by Plank Institute they've come to notice the white of human eyes is not communicated to most apes. Head movements? All the apes notice that. This small difference distinguished 40 ugly human infants from gorillas - aside from the hair - the gorillas just shaved. So gorillas, chimpanzees or bonobos can't follow our gaze. And subsequently, they'll never know when to shut the fuck up about their monkey-shit-throwing stories. Because we all know when someone rolls their eyes - we should think "Hey, I better stop talking about my boring kids" - right?

Why we roll our eyes is circumstantial, but it's safe to say it's because something is stupid. That something could be the person talking. Maybe your mom is attempting to guilt-trip you into sadness about your sexually molesting outcast-ed Presbyterian priest uncle going to jail. And of course, you can't verbally say it, but that circular motion of the eye speaks volumes: "Yes, I'm so sad that the Boy Scouts of America don't make congenial visits." However, this eye-roll becomes annoying when too common.

Enter You's new girl and a reference to a ridiculous article on the criminality of eye-rolling:

Portland, Oregon (PRWEB) August 2, 2010

The city of Elmhurst, Illinois has a problem. Citizens are rolling their eyes. If the city council has a say, they hope to make that against the law. Non-verbal communication expert Sharon Salyer says the council members have misinterpreted the message. Eye rolling isn’t about a lack of respect or a lack of decorum. Instead, it’s a symptom of something larger that cannot be outlawed –feelings of powerlessness.

According to an article in The Consumerist, the issue started at a city council meeting where a woman was thrown out of the room after she rolled her eyes in response to something a council member said. The city council had her removed from the room and is looking at the act as a possible violation of disorderly conduct laws.

According to Sayler, the eye rolling was a sign that the woman speaking did not feel safe expressing her opinion. “The problem for this community is this person (for what ever reason) didn't believe what she was hearing. She "knew" she would not be "safe" for speaking up. Safety is not just physical safety it is about psychological safety such as well fear of ridicule, harassment, embarrassment,” said Sayler.

The city council said they will investigate if eye rolling can be construed as breaking the state’s disorderly conduct law. Illinois state law defines disorderly conduct is "an act in such unreasonable manner as to alarm or disturb another, or to provoke a breach of the peace." One city council member said he doubts the behavior could result in a fine, but it will be investigated.

“Eye-rolling is a symptom not the problem. Eye rolling in this context is about lack of feeling safe to say what you really think. Just as teenagers roll their eyes when their parents lecture them.... it's a sign that there the person doesn’t feel strong enough to express themselves out loud,” said Sayler.

The words that were not spoken send a strong message in this situation. What’s missing in these meetings? The fact that the city’s citizens may not feel safe speaking up when they have an opinion. To Sayler, that’s worthy of investigation.

Send the message you meant to send through your words and your nonverbal communication. Sayler’s new book is, “What your Body Says (and how to master the message.)” Learn more at http://www.whatyourbodysays.com

About Sharon Sayler
    Sharon Sayler is a Small Business and Communication Success Strategist, MBA, and Certified Book Yourself Solid Coach. She coaches small business professionals to help them develop a loyal community through no and low cost marketing. She shows them how to market their business through speaking and demonstrating. “What your Body Says” is her third book.

1. Do you roll your eyes?
    2. What is your opinion on eye rolls?
    3. Any funny stories?
    4. Are you rolling your eyes right now?
    5. Funny thoughts?
    6. Funny gifs?
    Last edited by You; 08-13-2011 at 08:10 PM.
    Oh, its
    You

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by You View Post

• Do you roll your eyes?
    • What is your opinion on eye rolls?
    Hehe Brando is rolling his eyes in embarrassment here because the ladies behind the camera are directing him to turn and pose for them. Interesting how I usually eye roll out of embarrassment as well. I'm wondering if it's type related, Brando being an INFJ like myself.

I asked my ESTJ brother what he's trying to communicate with eye rolling and he said, "That they're stupid." Figured.
    To die would be an awfully big adventure - Peter Pan

INFJ ~ 4w5 sp/sx ~ RLOAI ~ Inclusion e/w=1/0 (Melancholy Compulsive) Control: e/w=0/6 (Supine) Affection: e/w=4/0 (Phlegmatic Melancholy)

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Then in the case of embarrassment, you're the something that is stupid. No need to be embarrassed.

In other news, Marlon Brando is not an INFJ.
    Oh, its
    You

Maybe your mom is attempt to guilt-trip you into sadness about your sexually molesting outcast-ed Presbyterian priest uncle going to jail.
    Which uncle?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Well isn't it obvious - the one on your mother's side of the family. What a fun bunch they are, eh?
    Oh, its
    You

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

The Eye Roll

1. Do you roll your eyes?
    2. What is your opinion on eye rolls?
    3. Any funny stories?
    4. Are you rolling your eyes right now?
    5. Funny thoughts?
    6. Funny gifs?
    Whoah, that's the hottest eye roll I've ever seen.... Shows that it can be anything ranging from flirty and naughty, to being contemptuous.

I probably roll my eyes, but either I'm not consciously aware that I'm doing it, or I don't do it very often, because I can't remember when I do it. Although I think I probably do it when I'm exasperated while thinking something like "oh gawd, not this again"....

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Then in the case of embarrassment, you're the something that is stupid. No need to be embarrassed.

In other news, Marlon Brando is not an INFJ.
    I was actually referring to those times when men have come on to me, where I will eye roll out of embarrassment.

I originally typed Brando as INTJ, then settled on INFJ. What type do you think he is?

INFJ ~ 4w5 sp/sx ~ RLOAI ~ Inclusion e/w=1/0 (Melancholy Compulsive) Control: e/w=0/6 (Supine) Affection: e/w=4/0 (Phlegmatic Melancholy)

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Are you telling me the necrophiliac groupie is coy? I never knew the guy, but I'm sure Brando would roll his eyes at that.

Quote Originally Posted by redcheerio View Post
    Shows that it can be anything ranging from flirty and naughty, to being contemptuous.

I probably roll my eyes, but either I'm not consciously aware that I'm doing it, or I don't do it very often, because I can't remember when I do it. Although I think I probably do it when I'm exasperated while thinking something like "oh gawd, not this again"....
    So, from what I gather, the eye-roll seems to be along the lines of one side of the emotional spectrum: hot and/or bothered; mildly volatile - and for those into color psychology & eastern philosophy - Kundalini red.
    Oh, its
    You

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Are you telling me the necrophiliac groupie is coy? I never knew the guy, but I'm sure Brando would roll his eyes at that.
    That doesn't mean his reaction here can't be embarrassment (of course I'm only speculating, just as you are). Michael Jackson is notoriously shy and easily embarrassed, yet very suggestive when performing onstage.

No need to be cheeky.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Wait, are you calling me a coy necrophiliac groupie for calling the young Brando hot, given that he's no longer alive?

If not, who is the coy necrophiliac groupie that you refer to? Brando himself? If so, how is he a necrophiliac groupie?