5 41.67%
12 Last

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Default Essay writing contest

If this were to be started today, can you guarantee that you'd submit an essay within two weeks?
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Would a subject be provided?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    If this were to be started today, can you guarantee that you'd submit an essay within two weeks?
    Without knowing the subject and whether or not it interests me at all (or whether I have any knowledge of the subject)...no.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

I suggest the 'practical applications of typology' as the subject. Where we could write about how it has influenced our thinking. And where it would be requested of us to come up with at least 1 new discovery concerning this matter. The standard for the latter should be relaxed, so basically all you will have to do is just show a sign of innovation or that you've seriously made an effort to come up with a discovery.

Something simple for the first topic should be fitting..

But again our focus should be on showing why typology is worth studying..so as far as coming up with ideas of our own is concerned, that should be of secondary importance..
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

MBTI
    infp

No. I suck so bad at deadlines that I am unsure that I would be finished in time. But it does sound like fun.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Alienclock View Post
    No. I suck so bad at deadlines that I am unsure that I would be finished in time. But it does sound like fun.

Nevermind the deadline... glad you're willing to participate.. .so for the purposes of the Poll your statement is closer to a yes than a no...

I am sure the deadline will be flexible anyways

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Can I? Yes.

Will I? No. Especially since it involves the words "practical" and "applications" right next to each other.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
    Can I? Yes.

Will I? No. Especially since it involves the words "practical" and "applications" right next to each other.

Topic is certainly negotiable... I dont like the idea of practical applications either.. but only suggested this because I thought it could get more people interested than the theoretical...

I guess we shouldnt take practical applications that seriously... one could easily say that this implies whatever ways typology has changed the way we think... those applications certainly dont have to be concrete..

MBTI
    INFJ

I would say yes, but it does depend on the subject. Also how/in what way the contest is to be judged. I don't particularly like the idea of a contest. I did, however, enjoy writing essays (in school, like a million years ago).
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
    -- Unknown

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Crabapple View Post
    I would say yes, but it does depend on the subject. Also how/in what way the contest is to be judged. I don't particularly like the idea of a contest. I did, however, enjoy writing essays (in school, like a million years ago).
    I'd say the essays should be assessed not based on the quality of exposition, but on the quality of insights they provide. So whoever comes up with the most meritorious ideas should win, and merit should be assessed in terms of how much light it sheds on the truth. So in a way, the standard that I'd suggest would be very reminiscent of one applied in academic philosophy.

Though for the first topic, I suggest that we should write about ideas concerning typology, this way more of our members will be granted an acceptable opportunity to participate.