User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Matt Damon ftw

MBTI
    INTj

I agree with a lot of the views I've seen him promote, but that interview did not show him at his best. I don't know what led up to it, but getting belligerent simply because his views were questioned creates the impression that he had no defense for his position. Imagine someone defending Wall Street bonuses using the same approach.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    I agree with a lot of the views I've seen him promote, but that interview did not show him at his best. I don't know what led up to it, but getting belligerent simply because his views were questioned creates the impression that he had no defense for his position. Imagine someone defending Wall Street bonuses using the same approach.
    I might agree in some cases, but not at this time and place. In present day America I think we need counterweight, we need to fight fire with fire. Being zen is not going to do anything to stop right-wing bullshit.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP

Totally disagree. He managed to create an intelligent rebuttal while underlining just how stupid the question was/is. He is not getting belligerent--he was showing both passion and disbelief.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I might agree in some cases, but not at this time and place. In present day America I think we need counterweight, we need to fight fire with fire. Being zen is not going to do anything to stop right-wing bullshit.
    This. I thought his tone was highly appropriate for the cause and the question. It was an ignorant question. And it was the type of ignorant question that people who've never set foot inside a classroom ask all the time. People like to have opinions on things they completely lack knowledge about (and very often, those people set policy). The attitudes this chick is perpetuating with her line of questioning don't deserve a measured response. They deserve a complete WTF? response. The idea that teachers are doing just enough work to secure tenure, so they can then dick around for the rest of their lives is beyond insulting.

Damon is dead-on.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    GONE

Heeheehee, the camera man was defending the interviewer. I think the teacher was just thinking 'ohemgee too many cameras in my face"
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Totally disagree. He managed to create an intelligent rebuttal while underlining just how stupid the question was/is. He is not getting belligerent--he was showing both passion and disbelief.
    The problem is that the type of reaction he displayed is commonly associated with the closed minded. Even if he isn't, the impression is created by association.

If his goal was to provide moral/emotional support for educators, then he did a good job. He was able to vocalize the collective frustrations without restraint.

But if he was there to sell an idea to a wider audience, then I think he could have used his celebrity status to do more than simply berate the opponents for daring to question his view.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

But if he was there to sell an idea to a wider audience, then I think he could have used his celebrity status to do more than simply berate the opponents for daring to question his view.
    I think he already achieved that. Pure logic isn't persuasive for most people, unfortunately. I agree with the other points.
    Damon's argument is pretty flawed. There are people in every profession that would rather be doing something else. But the cameraman was pretty inconvenient. He was supposed to film. He really acted like a shitty cameraman.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INTP

The problem is that the type of reaction he displayed is commonly associated with the closed minded. Even if he isn't, the impression is created by association.

If his goal was to provide moral/emotional support for educators, then he did a good job. He was able to vocalize the collective frustrations without restraint.

I hear what you're saying, and usually I would agree--but I think he actually reached and moved a pretty giant audience with both the speech and the questions afterward. This thing has gotten more press than most of his movies do, seems like, and the reaction has been overwhelmingly positive.

Maybe it's because the issue is an important one to me, but I've watched that clip several times, and I never see it as him getting belligerent or upset that someone has dared question him. He's willing to answer the question, but these aren't serious inquiries. As the son of a teacher, he has probably heard that accusation time and time again, as well as the implication that teachers are largely lazy and unmotivated. Both of those ReasonTV people come across as ill-informed idiots, one step above TMZ. I would have zero patience for that, too. Frankly, an extremely calm response probably wouldn't have made it to the Yahoo homepage, either, so I'm kind of glad he gave an impassioned response. People need to hear about these issues, and we need to fix the way we're running our schools and treating our teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I think he already achieved that. Pure logic isn't persuasive for most people, unfortunately. I agree with the other points.
    Damon's argument is pretty flawed. There are people in every profession that would rather be doing something else. But the cameraman was pretty inconvenient. He was supposed to film. He really acted like a shitty cameraman.
    Sure, there are people in every profession who'd rather do something else. But as a teacher, I can tell you he's right. MOST teachers are in it because they love to teach. The cameraman threw some BS statistic out that he couldn't even back up. Sure, there are some teachers who hate their jobs. Why should the few bad apples spoil the whole bunch? Why punish teachers as a whole? Teachers love their jobs because they love their subjects and their students. Almost no one goes into teaching for the money, and certainly not the prestige. I will tell you one thing, though. The more they are demonized and taken away from their real jobs by the endless bureaucratic hoops they're made to jump through, the less they will love their jobs. There will come a day when there will be a major teacher shortage, because love of the craft will not be able to trump the other BS anymore.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Sure, there are people in every profession who'd rather do something else. But as a teacher, I can tell you he's right. MOST teachers are in it because they love to teach. The cameraman threw some BS statistic out that he couldn't even back up. Sure, there are some teachers who hate their jobs. Why should the few bad apples spoil the whole bunch? Why punish teachers as a whole? Teachers love their jobs because they love their subjects and their students. Almost no one goes into teaching for the money, and certainly not the prestige. I will tell you one thing, though. The more they are demonized and taken away from their real jobs by the endless bureaucratic hoops they're made to jump through, the less they will love their jobs. There will come a day when there will be a major teacher shortage, because love of the craft will not be able to trump the other BS anymore.
    Tbh I don't know much about the scenario that makes academic tenure in US a good or bad thing, I was just talking about the logic consistency of his argument. But let's disconsider these bad apples and accept that ''Teachers teach because they love to teach''. Does this fact alone make tenure a good thing?
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I'm afraid you don't get anything out of being open-minded toward totally closed-minded people, just like compassion toward the totally uncompassionate.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTj

I hear what you're saying, and usually I would agree--but I think he actually reached and moved a pretty giant audience with both the speech and the questions afterward. This thing has gotten more press than most of his movies do, seems like, and the reaction has been overwhelmingly positive.
    Perhaps. It did draw my attention to this thread which gives me a better understanding of how teachers feel about the bureaucracy that they are subjected to.