User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w3

I don't believe that boredom is repressed anger. I have nothing to be angry about, but I am bored a lot. I find myself constantly doing and saying the same things day after day- and wonder why I don't break the cycle. Perhaps fear is behind the boredom, but I don't believe anger is.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I think I'm often bored, but turns out I am not actually all that bored. When I think I am bored, I'm just free to do whatever I want to do and I'm not experienced in filling up unexpected free time.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Quote Originally Posted by Kriash View Post
    I don't believe that boredom is repressed anger. I have nothing to be angry about, but I am bored a lot. I find myself constantly doing and saying the same things day after day- and wonder why I don't break the cycle. Perhaps fear is behind the boredom, but I don't believe anger is.
    The most important thing about repressed anger is that it is repressed out of consciousness. So naturally we are not aware of our feelings of anger.

And when we have repressed 'bad' feelings like anger we find it hard to experience postitive feelings as well. So repression of our feelings into our unconscious blights our lives. And we experience this blight as boredom.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w3

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The most important thing about repressed anger is that it is repressed out of consciousness. So naturally we are not aware of our feelings of anger.
    It's an interesting theory- I admit, however, I do find it hard to believe. Are you getting this information from somewhere, or is it something that you have came upon yourself that cannot be looked into further? I ask because I would like to read more about it if there is really anything to read. I guess it seems pretty straightforward, but is there any proof? Sorry if this seems a bit confusing, I am slightly tired.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

I consider boredom to be a sign of detachment or rejection of the present moment. I picked that up from some spirituality type book, so that's not really scientific, but it fits for me. It's very difficult to be bored when we are fully engaged.

Of course, *why* we are detached or choose to reject the present moment is the question, and I don't think there's a clean cut answer like "it's repressed anger". For one thing, anger in itself is often a secondary emotion which is a response to a primary emotion such as fear. Still, repression of an emotion can be an explanation for some cases, certainly. If you aren't aware of what you are feeling right now, you aren't fully present in the moment.

Another explanation might be that we aren't challenging ourselves, possibly because we've fallen into comfortable routines and are running on auto-pilot.

MBTI
    GONE

"Detachment or rejection of the present moment" I think that strikes a chord with my 7 self, since 7s run from pain ("boredom") and look to the future to escape the present. I think when I am bored, I am actually anxious because I feel I should be accomplishing so much more with my time. But, to face that and actually plan is too much so I'd rather burn off anxiety through boredom. Maybe I'm bored because I'm lazy. :P
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Of course I do.

That's why I'm looking to share. With one person only.

Sharing it with one person is so fun because full attention is given to you. <3
    C#2-C#5-F#5
    3 octaves, 2 notes and 1 semitone
    Supported range: F#2-F#4-C#5

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Some people are only scripts, ones that they've learned in childhood or adolescence, and just deploy them over and over and have difficulty when they dont fit the situation they are in. Its a lot more common than it should be. Anyway.

Ginkgo

I wish I had no emotion other than outwardly turned anger, basically reduced to the emotional faculties of a reptile, with the intellect of a human.

Other than that, no.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Some people are only scripts, ones that they've learned in childhood or adolescence, and just deploy them over and over and have difficulty when they dont fit the situation they are in. Its a lot more common than it should be. Anyway.
    I agree with this. It's not necessarily on topic with the OP, but I think that a lot of people genuinely don't know if they're feeling real emotions, or just empty and outwardly reacting to things in the way that they think society prescribes. It can be hard to tell if the person's a good actor, but eventually you can usually tell that something is a bit off. As an observer, that is. I think these people often have no idea themselves.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING