User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Lets talk about anger and boredom

How do these two relate to one another?
    I am suggesting you are repressing your anger. And so I am further suggesting you express some anger and see if it reduces your boredom.

ThatsWhatHeSaid has done just this and expressed his anger. Unfortunately he has chosen to insult me personally to express his anger. But it is a first step away from bordom.

So what are you angry about?

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Anger is repressed boredom.
    Wait, or boredom is repressed anger. or.
    Shoot.
    Can't seem to get in on Victors mental loop, he probably thinks about this way more than he should.
    I think you are a little angry at me and I can't decide whether to be charmed or alarmed.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I am suggesting you are repressing your anger. And so I am further suggesting you express some anger and see if it reduces your boredom.
    What would be a good (safe) way to express some anger. If what you're saying is true, I can shed some boredom. Even if you're wrong, I'll have something to do

ThatGirl

If I hear the word "loop" one more time I am going to smack somebody.

Also, I am not too bored. Payed some bills while the forum was characteristically down. Life is good, cant complain.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Anyway, let's get back on topic before Victor derails the shit out of this thread and projects all his neuroses onto us.

Must one actively "deal" with boredom, or is it better dealt with passively by just getting sick of it all and shedding the old narratives?

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Anyway, let's get back on topic before Victor derails the shit out of this thread and projects all his neuroses onto us.

Must one actively "deal" with boredom, or is it better dealt with passively by just getting sick of it all and shedding the old narratives?
    I have made a practical suggestion to leave boredom but you just keep on insulting me. I can't help feeling you want to provoke me into insulting you back and so provoking a flame.

This is a bad way to deal with boredom.

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    What would be a good (safe) way to express some anger. If what you're saying is true, I can shed some boredom. Even if you're wrong, I'll have something to do
    The classic way to get in touch with our anger is to hit the bed with a tennis racket.

This is not as easy as it seems as it means allowing the physical expression of anger to translate into felt anger. And having felt the anger we then need to analyse the anger, evaluate the anger and integrate it into our lives.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Hey stupid,

Do you ever feel completely and utterly bored of yourself? I do.

I'm taking this class where I have to reflect on my life and talk into a recorder. When I start talking, I just default to the same old complaints and stuck-points I always do and I feel like a total fake. It feels like a script. It all feels very stale. All the "issues" and concerns and conflicts...BORRRRING.

How about you? Let's bond.
    Heh, I've actually been thinking about this pretty consistently over the past week. It's interesting that I find myself bored with my life, and by extension myself, but it's even more interesting that I can't seem to get my head around what needs to be done to change it.

There are three questions that keep on popping up:

1) Why do I accept a boring life?

2) What could I do to make my life exciting?

3) Why don't I do those things that will make my life exciting?

While perhaps anger plays a role in this, I can't help but to think that it's fear that plays the central issue with number 1 and 3. Although damned if I know what exactly it is I'm afraid of.

And actually, considering that I tend to write down things for number 2) that don't end up exciting me for very long, it's likely fear is sabotaging my answers there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    While perhaps anger plays a role in this, I can't help but to think that it's fear that plays the central issue with number 1 and 3. Although damned if I know what exactly it is I'm afraid of.
    Of course it is the expression of your anger you are afraid of. But why would you be afraid to express anger? Well you couldn't express anger to those on whom you were dependent. Your survival took precedence over the expression of your feelings. So you pushed your feelings of anger out of your consciousness and so repressed your anger. So all this is now mysterious to you and all you feel is boredom.

Now of course you are no longer so dependent. Your survival is no longer at stake but still your feelings remain repressed. And be warned should you take the lid off, you will experience an abreaction you are not expecting.

So in effect, as an adult, you prefer your boredom to your abreaction, and who can blame you?

MBTI
    GONE

You still didn't address my question, which was sincere: who says boredom is repressed anger? I think that's stupid.
    Well, to jump in I think apathy and especially *affected* boredom can hide anger and other unprocessed emotions. I'm thinking about surly emo teens with eyeliner and ill fitting jeans. It's easy to hide behind an unapproachable mask or get unhappy first before someone can disappoint you or point out weaknesses. It's also how gruffness is an easy affectation to ward against getting hurt or being embarassed in public, etc.

Not saying this is you Edahn, but that's how I interpreted it.

I don't think I get bored of myself because I don't think of myself in the third person as someone who keeps myself company. My consciousness is how I experience the world. Do I sometimes (often) wish to experience the world differently? Definitely. That would be more angst than boredom though :P I also get bored easily. Know that wasn't quite what you were asking.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari