User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Default what were your favorite family traditions growing up?

I'm having a baby soon and my upbringing was unstable and didn't have much tradition during the holidays or weekends. I was just wondering what ya'll enjoyed so I can do some fun stuff for my daughter when she is older.

Oooh I love traditions like that!

On the weekends we would have fried dough... just bread dough or pizza dough, fried. So delicious with cinnamon and powdered sugar or with just salt. Mmmm.

Thanksgiving my littlest sis started making "gratitude turkey" which is actually super adorable. She cuts out a bunch of feathers from paper and we write things we're grateful for on the feathers and stick it to the turkey's butt, then on thanksgiving we read them off. Things like "Mom giving me a ride" "having a really yummy dinner" or whatever.

Christmas day we make pirogi (my Ukranian grandma's recipe), roll the dough out by hand, fill with potatoes and cottage cheese and onions, and boil, then fry with butter and top with sour cream and green onion - and this fried pork stuff that I don't eat.

Birthdays we have a dinner somewhat near the person's actual bday when everyone or as many people can be there as possible. We tell funny or embarrassing or sweet stories about the person. It's always fun when a guest or boyfriend or girlfriend is over, because then we get to hear new stories. We also hold a special memorial roast when somebody dies too, remembering all the fond and funny and fun stories about the person.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Jelly View Post
    I'm having a baby soon and my upbringing was unstable and didn't have much tradition during the holidays or weekends. I was just wondering what ya'll enjoyed so I can do some fun stuff for my daughter when she is older.
    I don't think the actual traditions matter too much, as long as there are traditions and a lot of love. We played golf on the game cube, watched football and macy's day parade, ate at half time, and went walking on the beach. Then there was my mom's special apple pie, and Christmas tree decorating. There was always tea and dessert about an hour after dinner. No big deal, but good memories none the less. I just went to a friends house this last thanksgiving and theirs was quite grand. They cooked a massive turkey on the grill, food everywhere, invited about 40 people, and had a long table with all our names on pumpkins at our seat, and then we used a slingshot to sling the pumpkins at trees later. Pumpkin smashing. These people were a higher economic class than my family, and seem to be about keeping up appearances. (The friend actually invited me so that she would have someone to talk to, and this is an esxp, how weird is that??) and I thought it seemed a bit empty, I thought it was missing the love that my family had. Of course, they are not my family, so maybe that's why I didn't feel the love.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Birthdays and Xmas were huge in my house as a child.
    Dad would take me to the allotment as a wee lass which allowed us to bond.
    Mum would cook from scratch and i had a stool so i could cook with her so that was our time.
    Every year we would go camping which was soooo cool.
    Oh and every sunday i would watch the Money Programme with my dad. I think it was on BBC2.
    Then they divorced.

I didn't really have traditions with my boys other than making b-days and xmas really fun. I would attend the kids school and help out with crafts and i HAD to attend when they went to the space museum (obviously to support the teachers, yeah right), oh and i made a big deal when they took part in the primary school xmas productions.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Going to Vail/Aspen for Christmas. Skiing and snowmobiling were a blast.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Toast on the open fire and stories by the range and lighted candles during power cuts.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Jelly View Post
    I think whatever you two think up to make your time together special will be cherished her whole life.

My family and I were a bunch of NPs (3 NPs in a pod! hahahaah) and we had our own weird ideas for holidays and weekends.

The past few years we started a new tradition of making Thai food for our Christmas dinner. This last Christmas my dad and I started a new tradition of going to a movie together and then pouring through Cooks Illustrated magazine to create a sumptuous dinner consisting of food we had never tried before.

On weekends growing up, all three of us devoted time to our own projects and interests. When I was 3-4, I used to design my own sewing patterns and my mom would help me stitch them up. I have always loved astronomy, and my dad would take me outside late at nights and teach me different constellations.

If I ever have my own family I plan on doing stuff like that with my child. I think this kind of stuff should flow organically from whomever the people are that make up the family.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Having Christmas on Christmas Eve instead of Christmas day.

It's all very pagan...okay well it's actually very German (linked back to German grandma) ...but it's pagan at its roots...I've always liked night better than day, anyway. We'd have a party and food and everyone would come over, and the tree looks so much better at night, all of the lights, and we'd open presents.

Christmas day is boring, and I can't get past that in my mind. When I still went to chruch, I always went to the Christmas Eve services even.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Oh okay...after my grandfather remarried, he was married to this ESTJ woman, and she actually used to do something really neat: on minor holidays (like Valentine's day) I'd wake up and everything would be covered in hearts and I'd have a box of candy. Similar for St. Patrick's day. She wasn't a very warm woman so this provision of material things was one of the ways she showed love, and it was very cool to me as a child, you know, when I was like in elementary and middle school. It was fun.

Also, when I was in high school (after the kiddie stuff stopped) my ISTJ grandfather would send me flowers at school on Valentine's day.

We also always had dinner in the afternoon on Sundays. I think that's a Southern thing.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

haha ...okay last post...my mom started a new tradition of making brie baked in phyllo dough with berries on every major holiday

I also love Halloween. I've always dressed up and watched horror movies on Halloween. When I was with my ex we would go all out. Carving pumpkins, dressing up, scaring children, watching horror movies. That's my own personal adult thing, though. Kids seems to really like Halloween, though.