User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-up Rex View Post
    Dear Saturned,

Long time reader, first time caller here. I was wondering if you had any advice about giving advice? I feel I struggle when a friend asks me to help I either try to fix the problem for them, or just come off as too abrasive with whatever thought/feeling I relate to them. Please teach me the art of the INFP Gentle Touch Technique (TM).

Bisoux
    Rex

PS--I enjoy organized cuteness

Dear @Wind-up Rex,

I am down with organized cuteness myself.

In honor of your first call I would love to send you a copy of my self-help book How to Avoid Huge Ships. Enjoy!

In regards to your question... Unfortunately I really cannot teach the INFP Art of Empathy to a non-INFP, and this is not a bad thing. I think that every type needs to play to their strengths, even when they are engaging in an activity that uses their "weaker" functions.

However, here are some general guidelines that you can try out:

First, there is one thing every type can do (some perhaps more easily than others), and that is simply to listen to the person. Sometimes that is exactly what that person needs.

Second, ask the person what they need. You can either keep it general like that, or you can try and pinpoint it by asking "Do you want to know what I would do in this situation?" or "Hmm, I think I see a solution, would you like to hear it?"

Third, let the person know that you are there for them now and in the future, and then follow up on that. You can follow up either by asking the person about their problem, "Hey, a couple weeks ago you were stressed out about looking for a job. How is that going?" or by just reminding them "I know you're having some bad days right now. If you need me I am here. We can go out to a movie and get a laugh in, or if you want to talk I am here to listen."

For me, since I know about type stuff, I usually tailor my requests depending on what type the person is. Overall I tend to open up to NTs specifically because I need/desire their unique methods to problem solving. So, don't discount your natural inclinations in regards to this.

I hope this helps you! Make sure to include any of these tips as a complement to your own skills.

~

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Saturned!

How would you caption this image.

And on bunnyshark related notes:
    http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Bunny_Shark
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Permabanned

Saturned do you believe in aliens and UFO's? if so do you believe they have visited our planet? Will you be surprised when the government discloses black projects that have been going on since the 1940's?

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Saturned!

How would you caption this image.

And on bunnyshark related notes:
    http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Bunny_Shark
    INFP says: It is TOO logical to prefer unicorns to pegasi! *sticks tongue out*
    INTP: *skeptical eyebrow raise*

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    Saturned do you believe in aliens and UFO's? if so do you believe they have visited our planet? Will you be surprised when the government discloses black projects that have been going on since the 1940's?
    I believe that the odds that there is life somewhere else in this universe are reasonable enough that the likelihood that they exist is greater than zero.

I do not believe that aliens explain anything that goes on this earth either today, in the 40's, or in the time of the Egyptians. I do not believe they have visited Earth.

I would still be extremely skeptical of any projects disclosed by governments today. Propaganda is a powerful tool, and there is enough weird stuff going on with science nowadays that I am still not sure I would fully believe in "aliens" if they claimed that they had housed one in a glass jar for 60 years.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I believe that the odds that there is life somewhere else in this universe are reasonable enough that the likelihood that they exist is greater than zero.

I do not believe that aliens explain anything that goes on this earth either today, in the 40's, or in the time of the Egyptians. I do not believe they have visited Earth.

I would still be extremely skeptical of any projects disclosed by governments today. Propaganda is a powerful tool, and there is enough weird stuff going on with science nowadays that I am still not sure I would fully believe in "aliens" if they claimed that had housed one in a glass jar for 60 years.
    Interesting most people take your stance. The truth is though that the universe is vast with over 100 billions stars in our milky way galexy and over 100 billions galexy's in the known universe anything is possible. Our beliefs about the type of reality we live in are miniscule yet everyday we fret about the cofee we spill before going to work in the morning.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    Interesting most people take your stance. The truth is though that the universe is vast with over 100 billions stars in our milky way galexy and over 100 billions galexy's in the known universe anything is possible. Our beliefs about the type of reality we live in are miniscule yet everyday we fret about the cofee we spill before going to work in the morning.
    Haha, I know! I love thinking about the possibilities that exist everywhere.

Like, thinking about the fact that light still takes a long time to get here. So many of these deeper galaxies that we see that are millions of years old might not exist at all anymore... wherever they are.

I think it's good to feel miniscule every now and again.

Permabanned

Haha, I know! I love thinking about the possibilities that exist everywhere.

Like, thinking about the fact that light still takes a long time to get here. So many of these deeper galaxies that we see that are millions of years old might not exist at all anymore... wherever they are.

I think it's good to feel miniscule every now and again.
    Like that bunny sitting on the chess board.

NPcomplete

The only lunch an INTP ever needs is hugs.

How did you know?

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by thealchemist View Post

How did you know?
    I have decided it is my goal to hug every INTP the world over. My journey begins today with a single hug.