User Tag List

12 Last

A window to the soul

Default List the Teachers That Changed Your Life

I thought it would be interesting to hear about some of the teachers that changed your life in a positive way and why, so please share.

I'll start:

When I was around 4, my frazzled elderly preschool teacher taught me never to ask someone why they're old. That moment made me realize I have to be careful about the things I say because I unintentionally hurt people. She taught me forgiveness because she was still my friend after that and I was still teacher's pet. She also taught me not to give my jewelry away to fellow classmates in exchange for their friendship. She said I just needed to be sweet and be a friend.

Ms. Cox, my Biology teacher in High-School, didn't put up with my BS. Her eyes were like lasers that pierced my soul. I was stronger and more serious after a year in her class. She taught me how to effectively study and kiss up by making A's. The study skills helped me in college. I wonder how she's doing now.

Dr. Levin my Biology professor at the University of Texas recognized my after class attempts at brown nosing and taught me that there's more than one way to skin a cat; figuratively speaking. I've referred back to his words a few times. He left an impression.

A window to the soul

I'm hanging out on a limb here y'all!

I'm the only nerd here that has any love to show for their teachers?? I read one really awesome post in this thread last night and today it's gone. Why?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Ms. Kelly
    Mrs. Reagre (for the worse though)
    Mrs. Hone
    Ms. Oliver
    Ms. Galvin

I don't care to write why.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    Ms. Kelly
    Mrs. Reagre (for the worse though)
    Mrs. Hone
    Ms. Oliver
    Ms. Galvin

I don't care to write why.
    No problem. :)

Here's a parting gift, to show my appreciation for your participation in this thread: a miniature pet turtle named, "mocha lata"...

I hope you like.

MBTI
    INTP

Mrs. Smith - senior English. We were reading Hamlet for the umpteenth time in my scholastic life and I loath the character. So I wasn't paying attention and she asked me why and said "I hate Hamlet - the guy is a nebish". She gave me a copy of "Much Ado" and told me to read the first act that night. I've loved Shakespeare ever since AND I learned that bored doesn't mean "bad student".

Dr. Saddaro: Taught me to be rigorous in my work. Dig for the extra source, use the right word, THINK about what it is you are writing... great prof.

Dr. Zebelski: He gave me the passion for my proffesion and started to make me think like a scientist. Very demanding, very rewarding.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

Anew Leaf

My 5th grade teacher, Mrs. Hoeve. Probably an ENFJ. She rocked.

She had us read "Where the Red Fern Grows" and cried along with us when the dogs died. She made us little clay puppies (I still have mine) to remember the book by. I was the sad geeky girl in the corner wiff no frenz. She taught me that so long as I was ok inside, the world was all right.

Insert Snarky Quip Here Stigmata's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I never had a teacher changed my life or inspired me like in those uplifting movies about a student overcoming some type of adversity. Most of them just made me sit out in the hall, called my parents with negative remarks, or sent me to the principal's office .

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Ms. Darling, my teacher for both Junior and Senior AP English. She pushed boundaries, asked us tough questions, even got in trouble with parents for the books and concepts she introduced to us. A very tough, fascinating woman with a good heart. She won teacher of the year for the entire state the year after I graduated. She went on to teach at the university level, though, because she felt she no longer had any room to move in the public school system in terms of REALLY teaching and challenging students.

Best teacher I ever had, hands down. I believe I was capable of making a perfect score on the state AP Lit exam my senior year because of how she taught me to think critically and write.

I also remember her telling me, in a one-on-one conversation, that I needed an anchor in life. She said I needed an internal anchor, even if it was a funky tie-dyed anchor, within my self so I wasn't always so emotionally pulled by external events.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

5th grade teacher, Ms. Hanks (The Tank)
    Hands down one of the best teachers ever. Focused alot on creative writing and was REALLY good at getting EVERYONE in the class to feel kinship.. (even the weird kid no one talked to who smelled like pee). She was just extraordinary at finding each students strong points and helping them manifest in group activities. I think that just about every kid walked out of her class that year feeling like a special, important, unique person with the world at their fingertips. Got us into Mark Twain and made us do alot of critical thinking about politics and the Rodney King incident.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

Glycerine

Mr. P.
    prof. B
    prof K.
    Dr. R.