User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: After Humanity

For those of you not getting enough creepy in your diet.

1986-2006 (Flash based site)

MBTI
    XNXP

Bumped for Whatever...

"The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    INTP

There's a human left!!!! GET HIM!!!!!
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I saw an hour-long show speculating on this, and according to that, after 100 or 150 years (I think), modern cities won't look like they were ever there. Humbling.

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
    There's a human left!!!! GET HIM!!!!!
    I substituted that one too quickly, when I realized that I had already posted another.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I saw an hour-long show speculating on this, and according to that, after 100 or 150 years (I think), modern cities won't look like they were ever there. Humbling.
    It can be fun to speculate what future archaeologists/anthropologists might deduce about us from our ruins. Parking meters - "..these were likely roadside altars where these people deposited small pictures of their rulers in worship..."
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I LOVE it! Those remind me a bit of the pics that I took in the abandoned buildings in my area when I was in high school (the best were from an abandoned boarding school) but those were all on a manual, non-digital camera

Mostly got into pics of family farms and the suburbs that were encroaching on them in college, since there were very few abandoned buildings there!

I've got my eye on the near south side since I moved to Indy though, not only was my grandfather from there at the turn of the last century, but there's some nice abandoned buildings there!

excellent, excellent pics though!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    It can be fun to speculate what future archaeologists/anthropologists might deduce about us from our ruins. Parking meters - "..these were likely roadside altars where these people deposited small pictures of their rulers in worship..."
    Interesting concept.

Social history studies the everyday behavior of peoples from cultures extinct. It seeks to graft an image of daily life from the physical remnants left behind. Kind of like anthropological "fossil hunt".

All this means, of course, is that relics resistant to environmental degradation are commonly painted as the "language" of the bygone era. Whether our estimation is correct is of greater relationship to the items we find, and is often somewhat off the mark.

As pulled from Wikipedia, here are some interesting points on biodegradability to consider when future generations unearth our remains:

# Diapers 200 – 500 years
    # Tin cans 50 - 100 years
    # Aluminum cans 200 - 500 years
    # Plastic Bottles 70 - 450 years
    # Plastic six-pack holder rings, 450 years
    # XPS Foam cup, non-biodegradeable

These are fast terms that are often cited. What's peculiar to me is the image they could paint of us...

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    # Diapers 200 – 500 years
    # Tin cans 50 - 100 years
    # Aluminum cans 200 - 500 years
    # Plastic Bottles 70 - 450 years
    # Plastic six-pack holder rings, 450 years
    # XPS Foam cup, non-biodegradeable

These are fast terms that are often cited. What's peculiar to me is the image they could paint of us...
    Yet what we want them to find are things like the Eiffel tower etc., which may have rusted away into nothingness by then. Solution - pop artist builds giant tower out of diapers and plastics....

* Kuranes leaves pre-sharded bowls and utensils, and ties down sleeping vampire in peat bog *

I wonder if things like CD/DVD discs would be recognized in the future as "containing information" ? Perhaps we have let arcane sources of information from others slip by ourselves, too, thinking them to be just the equivalent of "ornamental circles".

I've been doing some research lately on finding alternatives to current infrastructure, which would survive the EMP pulse...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    Yet what we want them to find are things like the Eiffel tower etc., which may have rusted away into nothingness by then. Solution - pop artist builds giant tower out of diapers and plastics....

* Kuranes leaves pre-sharded bowls and utensils, and ties down sleeping vampire in peat bog *

I wonder if things like CD/DVD discs would be recognized in the future as "containing information" ? Perhaps we have let arcane sources of information from others slip by ourselves, too, thinking them to be just the equivalent of "ornamental circles".

I've been doing some research lately on finding alternatives to current infrastructure, which would survive the EMP pulse...
    Really provides a powerful example into how unavoidably unimportant we are.

I know that much of our cultural "identity" is committed to electronic reserve.

What it contains is probably best realized as a collection of generationally-specific "bullet points". The atomic bomb. The Moon Landing. The spread of the Internet, etc.

The lifespan (and future permeation) of these catalogs is certainly dependent on which culture endows their records with the greatest safekeeping measures - history is arbitrary in this respect. Power and bravado evaporate from memory if people can't remember what you've done...

In terms of specifics, what items might you want to leave behind, as to commemorate the "soul" of your personal existence?

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    In terms of specifics, what items might you want to leave behind, as to commemorate the "soul" of your personal existence?
    If I were talented enough to do so, maybe a horn or flute made of some extremely durable substance. It would only allow for a couple of notes to be played through it, but those few notes would convey through subtle evocation....the grandeur that was once Kuranes.

Seriously, I guess enough memories in people who knew me that they would perhaps pass on those thoughts as useful anecdotes/suggestions or memes to later generations in similar ways.

If I were a builder, I might have made a structure of some sort, like a pyramid that could survive the storms caused during magnetic poles shifting.

Ozymandias or just plain Oz ? Perhaps leave behind the legacy of a strawman argument..... that may be false, but is still memorable. The flute that plays during "If I only had a brain..." What gives the muskrat his musk ? Courage. What gives Kuranes his Kur ? Will he ever be cured of his ego, ( the filthy cur ) ?

What about you, Night ? It must feel satisfying to know that some of your students will be a sort of immortality for you...