User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: After Humanity

MBTI
    type

K, these do look like my "Through" litho!

Thanks!
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by outmywindow View Post
    Some of these are photos of the worker's town right outside Chernobyl, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    Some look like that abandoned luxury hotel in Vietnam.....
    Some are from Japan.

Fortunato - Yes, I've seen "Session 9". Nice. Carson Daly in charge of soundtrack - which was unusual. I was actually visiting with the dealer who sold me "Session 9" today, coincidentally. I used to explore abandoned places myself in an "Urban Exploration" group. It got fragged in an odd way eventually, mainly because this one weird guy ( who was not a veteran member ) got busted in one of the underground tunnels by the Feds, and his hacker friends thought someone in our group must have snitched - not true. So they destroyed the site we used to coordinate meets and aliases etc.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by HilbertSpace View Post
    Some years ago, National Geographic magazine did a spread on an artist's interpretation of what major cities would look like if they were abandoned for hundreds of years.
    I'd really like to see that. Anyone know what issue this was?

My overall impression is that, if you're going to let your city turn to ruin, you're going to wish you had built it in marble rather than steel and glass.
    This brings to mind the Long Now Foundation (which I think is a really interesting initiative). I'm really hoping they do get their clock built at some point. Though I'm guessing there's no rush.
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Martoon View Post
    I'd really like to see that. Anyone know what issue this was?
    I've tried a few different ways of googling for it, but no luck so far. The best place to look is probably under the corner of a bookcase in my parent's house, where it serves to keep things level.

I'd really appreciate it if someone can track it down, though.

This brings to mind the Long Now Foundation (which I think is a really interesting initiative). I'm really hoping they do get their clock built at some point. Though I'm guessing there's no rush.
    I was at a conference about ten years ago where Danny Hillis made a presentation on it. I think it's a fascinating project from any number of perspectives.
    JBS Haldane's Four Stages of Scientific Theories:

1. This is worthless nonsense.
    2. This is an interesting, but perverse, point of view.
    3. This is true, but quite unimportant.
    4. I always said so.

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by HilbertSpace View Post
    The best place to look is probably under the corner of a bookcase in my parent's house, where it serves to keep things level.
    Thanks. I'll give that a try.
    I was at a conference about ten years ago where Danny Hillis made a presentation on it. I think it's a fascinating project from any number of perspectives.
    Are you referring to the foundation, or the clock (or both)? What kind of conference was it, out of curiosity?

(Very compelling thread, btw Kuranes.)
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Martoon View Post
    Are you referring to the foundation, or the clock (or both)? What kind of conference was it, out of curiosity?
    It was the clock, but it was more about the motivation behind the project than the technology itself. He did go over the thought process behind the design, both in terms of how it would be built and how they would ensure that it could be meaningfully read even if there were to be an interruption in civilization, or if it were to be discovered by an alien species.

I can't remember the conference, but it might have been Sun's annual Java conference. I'm pretty sure it was in San Francisco.
    JBS Haldane's Four Stages of Scientific Theories:

1. This is worthless nonsense.
    2. This is an interesting, but perverse, point of view.
    3. This is true, but quite unimportant.
    4. I always said so.

MBTI
    XNXP

Eno did some kind of an album or CD that was inspired by the Long Now, and used electronic processing and manipulation of bell tones for its source material.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Cool pictures, Kuranes.

Did you ever watch the movie "Session 9?" Which was shot in an authentic abandoned asylum? Same sort of stuff going on, as far as appearance -- fascinating but creepy.
    Yes, it was a movie I enjoyed. I was part of an "urban exploration" team once, too. That was what we did. Go around and explore these kind of places.

MBTI
    INFP

I've always found abandoned buildings to be by far more frightening than anything in nature.

MBTI
    INTP

Excellent pictures. Thanks.