User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Taming a wasp.

MBTI
    STUF

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_cicada_killer

Seems like they're kind of harmless to people, but they're strong enough to carry a gold ring in flight, so I need tips on taming them.
    Whoops.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Yeah, Wasps sucks ass but they're are worse things to be attacked by. I know because I've been attacked by several wasps at the same time, and stung several times on my head. I assumed that was as bad as bug bites get then I was bitten by a brown recluse.

The brown recluse bite was worse then the combined stings of several wasps.

Either way, these aren't things to play with, I'm not saying you should be scared of it (which you obviously aren't) but you better have a healthy respect for it and it's stinger. Do yourself a service and spray the bastard.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_cicada_killer

Seems like they're kind of harmless to people, but they're strong enough to carry a gold ring in flight, so I need tips on taming them.
    According to that, the males can't sting. What is the sex of your wasp?

MBTI
    STUF

It's a female for sure, too big to be a male. Nearly 2 inches long.
    Whoops.

RDF

Wasps respond well to beatings. And a leash and a muzzle would help.

MBTI
    STUF

Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    Yeah, Wasps sucks ass but they're are worse things to be attacked by. I know because I've been attacked by several wasps at the same time, and stung several times on my head. I assumed that was as bad as bug bites get then I was bitten by a brown recluse.

The brown recluse bite was worse then the combined stings of several wasps.

Either way, these aren't things to play with, I'm not saying you should be scared of it (which you obviously aren't) but you better have a healthy respect for it and it's stinger. Do yourself a service and spray the bastard.
    I'm terrified, just intrigued equally. I kicked a nest of bald-faced hornets once when I was a kid on accident and was stung over 150 times, had an allergic reaction, needed to stay in the hospital a few days. The fear is pretty deep seated.
    Whoops.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post
    It's a female for sure, too big to be a male. Nearly 2 inches long.
    She'll eventually get tired in that cage. When she's sitting at the bottom of the cage resting, reach in with gloves on and let her walk onto your hand. You might want to do that outside. If you don't want her to get away, then it will take two people. One of you has to gently hold her down, while the other ties a string to her back leg.

Edit: You prolly want to make sure she's on a very short string leash tied to the end of a stick or something rigid like that before you let her loose to begin the training.

MBTI
    STUF

I thought about this, but I have to be gentle, because I don't want to decapitate her, I used to do that with flys, except I used hair instead of string.
    Whoops.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default How to Train Your Wasp

Having been in the wasp-training business for years, here's what I've learned so far.

Wasps use constant energy to communicate. (Energy is what I call beingness; who and what you are at every moment.)

Wasps don't know each other by name; they know each other by the energy they project and the activities they share. They also know humans in the same way.

The hive leader always projects a calm, assertive energy. (If you don't know what I mean by calm, assertive energy, think about Oprah Winfrey. She is calm and assertive.)

The key to earning your wasp's respect as the hive leader is to understand the nature of the hive and to duplicate the action and attitude of the hive leader. The hive leader controls everything: when the hive eats, when they play, how far they can walk.

Calm, Submissive Energy

The hive followers return a calm, submissive energy that completes the hive balance. Most wasps are born submissive because there can only be so many hive leaders.

Some submissive wasps who live with humans that do not lead will attempt to right the hive balance by filling what they see as a vacant hive leader role out of necessity.

This is very unhealthy because it creates an unstable state remember, these wasps were born to follow calm, submissive energy and this is often at the root of problem behaviors because you have a submissive wasp trying to lead in the only way it knows how. These wasps are often identified by nervous, fearful, or other unwanted behaviors.

Your goal is to provide calm, assertive leadership to your wasp 100 percent of the time. (Just like s/he would experience in the hive.) This natural balance calm, assertive leadership with calm, submissive behavior nurtures stability and creates a balanced, centered and happy wasp.

The Best Gift

The most loving gift you can give your wasp is to become his/her calm, assertive hive leader. Its a gift that both you and your wasp will enjoy.

MBTI
    STUF

The Cicada Killer is a solitary species of wasp, I'm not sure how much that would change their response to energy.
    Whoops.