User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you like to argue?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • No! Conflict makes my stomach churn

3 3.75%
  • no

12 15.00%
  • not really

5 6.25%
  • occassionally

5 6.25%
  • arguing: no; debating yes

28 35.00%
  • only if they're intelligent

9 11.25%
  • when I'm bored

4 5.00%
  • YES!

2 2.50%
  • I enjoy a good conflict

6 7.50%
  • only when I need to put a filthy invalid in his place

6 7.50%
First 34567 Last

violaine

Not typically. But I love the feeling of standing up for myself and for ideas/people/situations that I care about.

I like engaging in conversation where people passionately make a case for their ideas, but I don't think of that as arguing. What I like most in a discussion of ideas is trying to build from everyone's input, rather than a battle of dismissal because each party is primarily trying to defend their stance or embarrass/discredit the other party. Those conversations are pretty pointless and uninteresting to me.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Surprise, surprise.

What's this crap about "deep/productive conversations?" I like arguing precisely because it's fun and the pressure of the situation makes all of the parties involved sharper than they would otherwise be in calm conversation. Honestly, a calm exchange of ideas is something you do to pass the time with others (and perhaps to learn...though not really, since this doesn't happen with most people that you talk to...and yes, even in academic settings), but an argument is competitive and therefore more engaging, fun, and satisfying (to me, at least.) Even the frustrating ones with 'tards and morons. It's a hell of a lot more interesting than the fake agreeing game that passes for a rational exchange of ideas. Person X: "Oh, yes, that's probably true, too, but this is what I read..." Person Y: "Sure, sure, that makes sense, but you know I read this and he says [insert bad summary/misinterpretation of some irrelevant crap.]" IME, it's usually a shitty back and forth in which no one listens to the other person but is more interested in appearing to be knowledgeable. Especially in college settings.

There are a few people that are capable of having a good intellectual conversation, but aside from them, I'd rather argue/debate with people because then I have a higher chance of salvaging something enjoyable from the exchange.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    It's a hell of a lot more interesting than the fake agreeing game that passes for a rational exchange of ideas. Person X: "Oh, yes, that's probably true, too, but this is what I read..." Person Y: "Sure, sure, that makes sense, but you know I read this and he says [insert bad summary/misinterpretation of some irrelevant crap.]" IME, it's usually a shitty back and forth in which no one listens to the other person but is more interested in appearing to be knowledgeable. Especially in college settings.
    yeah that's a good point. i'd rather debate given a college setting. people actually listen to each other in that scenario, waiting for logic gaps and flaws, as opposed to everyone sitting around waiting to make the point they want to make because they can make it.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I get an adrenaline rush from debating, too.

How is this different from you getting an adrenaline rush doing MMA?
    hahahhaahh because there is no immediate threat whatsoever.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

only if they're intelligent

Nothing better than a good argument with someone who knows what they're talking about. There's always something to be gained from being made to defend your position on an issue. I feel like I learn better through debate because it forces me to be critical of my own position.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I will bicker and squabble sometimes with men because of sexual tension, or as kind of a love/hate button pushing thing...but not even always that, once I have bonded with someone, like we get to know each other, I really don't like the arguing anymore, and I prefer for it to move on to much milder teasing and playful barbs rather than real arguments.
    Just outta curiosity--why does getting to know someone make you want to debate them less? If anything, I'd feel more comfortable expressing my opinions to them.

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    hahahhaahh because there is no immediate threat whatsoever.
    Then you evidently don't ever debate subjects that hold real meaning for you. A challenge to someone's fundamental belief is a challenge to their perception of reality. That can be as imminently threatening as a gun to the head. If it wasn't why would people ever die for, kill for, or even go to war over ideas?
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-up Rex View Post

Just outta curiosity--why does getting to know someone make you want to debate them less? If anything, I'd feel more comfortable expressing my opinions to them.
    I didn't say getting to know them makes me want to debate less. I'll debate anybody. IT MAKES ME WANT TO FIGHT WITH THEM LESS. The kind of arguing and fighting I do with guys I'm attracted to, in the beginning, sometimes has absolutely no grounding in debating what-so-ever. It's much more like pushing each other down on the playground.

NO U.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post

What's this crap about "deep/productive conversations?" I like arguing precisely because it's fun and the pressure of the situation makes all of the parties involved sharper than they would otherwise be in calm conversation. Honestly, a calm exchange of ideas is something you do to pass the time with others (and perhaps to learn...though not really, since this doesn't happen with most people that you talk to...and yes, even in academic settings), but an argument is competitive and therefore more engaging, fun, and satisfying (to me, at least.) Even the frustrating ones with 'tards and morons. It's a hell of a lot more interesting than the fake agreeing game that passes for a rational exchange of ideas. Person X: "Oh, yes, that's probably true, too, but this is what I read..." Person Y: "Sure, sure, that makes sense, but you know I read this and he says [insert bad summary/misinterpretation of some irrelevant crap.]" IME, it's usually a shitty back and forth in which no one listens to the other person but is more interested in appearing to be knowledgeable. Especially in college settings.

There are a few people that are capable of having a good intellectual conversation, but aside from them, I'd rather argue/debate with people because then I have a higher chance of salvaging something enjoyable from the exchange.
    Exactly. I agree with this.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-up Rex View Post
    only if they're intelligent

Then you evidently don't ever debate subjects that hold real meaning for you. A challenge to someone's fundamental belief is a challenge to their perception of reality. That can be as imminently threatening as a gun to the head. If it wasn't why would people ever die for, kill for, or even go to war over ideas?
    Maybe a debate that involves immediate attention or decision making could be a threat but not one over the internet LOL. Getting too wound up about what someone says online is just sad. There is more to life than debating that's for sure.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I do like arguing to a degree. I can get pretty bored and frustrated with it after a while - for example if the other person is not open to a different perspective or competing to win. Maybe discussion is a better word than argument. I can also get bored and frustrated if everyone is nicey nicey all the time. So, something in-between is good.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

As long as I have a feeling that the there is an anticipated outcome of constructivness or creativity to the discussion.