User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Sicko by Michael Moore offers a dissection into America's mostly corrupt health care industry.
    Highly unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    The Power of Myth - Bill Moyers
    Not to be confused with The Order of Myths (2007), a totally unrelated documentary that I examined at the library but decided against. This looks interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    If you have an HDTV, I recommend Planet Earth, a BBC series of documentaries about the natural world that is utterly fascinating. It loses a lot of its appeal when not viewed in HD, which is why I included that caveat.
    I've seen them, they are quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Very well then. The world is made up of two parts: the subject and the object. If one wants to learn about the world, there are two ways to go: first, one can learn about the human mind; second, one can learn about the physical reality. The former, of course, conditions the knowledge of the latter, and vice versa. But we get better every day. So if one is interested in the world, one should be watching documentaries on the human brain and on physics. Then everything else falls into place.
    I agree with the premise here: everything we see is a processed account by our 3 pound fleshy brains of the enormous universe around us. To understand what we see (and don't see) it's useful to understand how we work. Physics holds it all together, apparently.

My interest tends to be pragmatic rather than academic: I want to know how to operate things, or how things operate me. The really intensive physics seems kind of...useless. That said, I just returned from the library with The Elegant Universe. I wonder if it will be interesting, a curiosity, or something to zone out to while electronic music and graphics repeat over and over.

I'm currently reading about Memory and how it works.

(re: Night and Fog) Did you enjoy it?
    I wouldn't say enjoy. I've seen and heard plenty of the Holocaust before. Museums, movies, all that. My grandfather was there for the liberation of Buchenwald, actually. He was a medic. I'm sure he saw terrible things. I've heard about a lot of this before now.

It elicited the same set of reactions that I usually experience. It's also a good reminder: here are things you should avoid. I'm Jewish, so I'm used to the whole 'being the victim' side of the mental experience - most people tend to identify that way if they would have been part of the oppressed group. So there is the caution: don't allow yourself to be herded like cattle.

But there is also (what I find) to be the more pressing caution: don't allow yourself to be caught up in that kind of ideaology. If you find yourself as an architect, do not design buildings like those. If you find yourself as a soldier, fight if you must, but do not herd people to their deaths. People tend to underestimate their own capacities to perform abhorrent acts - if you are cautioned against them can you avoid becoming someone "just following orders."

I got:
    - The Elegant Universe (mentioned above)
    - Time Management from the Inside Out (impulse grab, made by PBS, hope it's not self-help garbage)
    - When the Moors Ruled in Europe. I have no particular interest in the Moors, but I recall finding them a bit interesting back when I took AP World in high school. Maybe it'll be an interesting case study of how cultures ebb and flow.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Sniffles

Does your library have Schama's A History of Britain? Thats a good one.

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Does your library have Schama's A History of Britain? Thats a good one.
    No, but it does have Schama's "The American Future" and "Simon Schama's Power of Art."

It also has "Why We Fight"

If you like big cats, consider BBC's Big Cat Diary. It's fantastic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Cat_Diary

MBTI
    XXFP

The Elegant Universe is 2 parts. I watched part 1. Good to get a refresher on the known forces - Gravity, EM, Strong nuke, weak nuke. I'm guessing we are in one of those quite possibly long periods of human history where we don't know what the hell we are doing in physics or how to get there. I'll consider part 2, but the whole "well we can't really prove anything but we are going to make a whole bunch of elaborate guesses" thing is kinda meh. I see the value in the work, I'm just not all that interested in the work.

When the Moors Ruled Europe is good. It's interesting how history is seen when competing groups are involved. I've always admired the architecture (they leave out how they got their design from Indian trade along with Greek math, which they do mention). But it seems Muslim culture from the 8th to 15 centuries was particularly adept on taking what they could find from everywhere and finding a use for it.

MBTI
    XXFP

[YOUTUBE="enQfejPWnpk"]Moors[/YOUTUBE]

There is a tinge of a reaction to islamophobia that seems present throughout this, if you watch the whole thing.