Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Gloriana View Post
    Whether the OP is in serious trouble or not, this thread is starting to make me feel more than a little sick.
    He makes fun of my weaknesses, I'll make fun of his. My Fi is nice like that.

Of course, if I thought this was truly serious, I'd be concerned. But what I'm seeing here, as I said, appears to carry more listening to the Cure weight than actual death-wish weight.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

maybe find a new approach? get a ladder and a sledge hammer or somethin??
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    I just don't know anymore... Those things which are beyond my ability to comprehend, beyond my ability to take hold of. They flicker in the expanse of my mind, taunting me most cruelly, teasing me to reach for what lies beyond. But my approach is immediately stopped by the ceiling which they sit above, a humbling reminder of the limitations placed within this world we call life. Even when the ever ironic Fate seems to spit on you from above with an unrelenting rain, does one become a fool for still trying to rise above the forbidden firmament to seize such lofty dreams? Or do you sink to where the bedeviling glare of abandoned aspirations can no longer find you to drown in your sorrows and regrets, a fool by no question... a sunken ship in Fate's sea, where the sky begins and ends.
    Cheer up, that's not very enneagram nine of you.

ThatGirl

....I thought this thread was going to be about Risen's 'junk'.

Incidentally Risen, there is nothing (as far as I know) in nature, that exists as an impenetrable shield. If you aren't getting where you want to be? You are doing it wrong!

* Anticipates, "penetrate this!" comment*

I just don't know anymore... Those things which are beyond my ability to comprehend, beyond my ability to take hold of. They flicker in the expanse of my mind, taunting me most cruelly, teasing me to reach for what lies beyond. But my approach is immediately stopped by the ceiling which they sit above, a humbling reminder of the limitations placed within this world we call life. Even when the ever ironic Fate seems to spit on you from above with an unrelenting rain, does one become a fool for still trying to rise above the forbidden firmament to seize such lofty dreams? Or do you sink to where the bedeviling glare of abandoned aspirations can no longer find you to drown in your sorrows and regrets, a fool by no question... a sunken ship in Fate's sea, where the sky begins and ends.
    Shift your fall into a dive 'cause either way, you're meeting the sea.

"The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    That's one reason why I'm glad I am not INFJ. But you really shouldn't fret over some stranger being self destructive on the internet. Most of the times it's just some cry for attention or depression fit that blows over and rarily if ever it is something we can do anything to help with. That's for him and the people close to him to sort out.
    I'm not fretting over one entry, one post, on one message board, from one or two people. I feel sick because this kind of stuff is everywhere, and it happens all the time. And what if it IS just a cry for attention? I think people need a little attention now and then, y'know? Not saying everyone has to rush to advise or comfort everyone who posts their troubles or worries, but why take the time to be purposely derisive? If some person who posts on the net is having a really hard time, we're not RESPONSIBLE for that person, we're not their parents, or psychiatrists, or spouses. It's one thing if you walk away, but why make a point of mocking or being cruel? Tough love and trying to snap someone out of it is one thing, devaluing them and being dismissive or gratuitously cruel is another.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    He makes fun of my weaknesses, I'll make fun of his. My Fi is nice like that.

Of course, if I thought this was truly serious, I'd be concerned. But what I'm seeing here, as I said, appears to carry more listening to the Cure weight than actual death-wish weight.
    I've only ever been around here for short stretches, I'm not a regular, so I don't know if perhaps there is an understanding between the original OP and all of you that I'm missing. Perhaps I am. Maybe you're good friends with Risen and you have way more insight into whether or not he or she is serious or not, I don't know. I could very well be missing perspective on dynamics here.

I have heard so many justifications for this kind of thing, and most push the idea they're harmless, that you can't take the net seriously, that it's not their responsibility, that if someone chooses to show weakness or ask for help on the internet they should know to be prepared for getting crap handed to them, etc. This particular post isn't some beacon of horribleness to me, it's just one out of many. Even now, I'm well aware that most people read posts on the internet and simply don't make any cognitive connection to a real human being and it's all dismissed, it just rolls off the backs of people the way anything I write here right this second may just roll off most of yours. I get that. I just think it kind of sucks.

Is it the end of the world? Not at all. I can exit the situation, I can leave, I can remove myself because it's my responsibility and my choice. I'm not sitting here holding any one, two, or even ten members here responsible for how I feel about this, it's bigger and stretches wider than one post on one forum.

I just think it's one thing if you literally can't help, and I'm not begrudging anyone for not wanting to 'get involved' in certain things because I understand that. I just don't understand the pleasure some people seem to get at making a point to be purposely and (I think) needlessly derisive and critical. Why not just walk away? What result are you looking for by doing it, or do you not care one way or the other? If someone ISN'T serious, and they're just having a momentary lapse of some kind, whether you write a supportive comment or a derisive comment, it makes no difference. If the person IS serious, the choice of making a supportive comment or derisive one CAN make a difference, and have an impact. It's not our responsibility if someone were to, say, commit suicide. That's their personal choice in the end, but do you really want to potentially be a push in that direction for that person? Do you really want to be that kind of person? Who are any of us to play God and visit anyone's internal world and motivation?

Again, if you're close with the OP and I'm missing something, that's fine. If my lack of participation around here has me blind to dynamics between y'all that I'm not a part of, that's fine. I understand ribbing, kicking someone in the pants, tough love, and all of it. I'm not such an asshole I think I've got any one of you figured out or know exactly what's going on here, I'm not making a conviction about any of you based on this because I'm simply just not here enough to know. This is just where I'm coming from right now, and like I said before, it's not so much it's this ONE post that's bugging me, it has just been yet another instance upon many other instances I've come across that snowballs into a trend that causes me to feel perplexed and concerned. That's all.
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

And the end result is... never give up.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx