User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    STP

Default minimalism, nomadic lifestyles, and low-profile living arrangements

have you ever lived or thought of living a nomadic lifestyle? these are the people who reside in a mobile dwelling place, like a mobile home, RV, or truck camper. I plan to live this way in the coming months for about a year to save money and partly as an experiment of what it's like (I've found apartments just end up as glorified storage space apart from sleeping and cooking, I spend my free time outside and don't like TV) and I'm looking for criticism about the details. As far as I know, I think I have all the basic needs covered, but I may be wrong. Also, feel free to use this thread as a general discussion if you'd like, I think it's an interesting topic especially for young people like myself.

Currently I plan to use a Chevrolet Silverado 2500 diesel mounted with a truck camper (not determined) and at some point attach 300-400 or more watts of solar panels to the roof, meaning I could remain self-sufficient until I have to dump waste water and refill fresh water somewhere with RV hookups once a week or so ($0-$15 per)

I estimate the absolute total cost of living for this including gasoline, food, and cell-phone is $500/month which means one could theoretically live on a meager $6,000/year and all else would go to savings and investments. Considering apartments where I live start at $900 for a 1-bedroom not including utilities, this seems like a good way to save money until I build a house. I'm wondering how my idealization will differ from the challenges one would face once they actually live this way, though. Your thoughts are appreciated.
    Last edited by Sanctus Iacobus; 07-17-2011 at 07:52 AM.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I subscribe a newsletter of a guy called Tynan that is as adventurous as he is smart. A rare combination, if you ask me. He talks about the advantages of living in a RV here: http://tynan.com/living-in-a-small-rv-introduction . I actually don't plan to do that, but he inspired me with his minimalist lifestyle. He gets more specific on this on other articles.
    Before I began sloughing off possessions and obligations, I let the tide rise and carry all of my boats with it. I had a Mercedes, so I needed a nice big house. I had a big house so I needed to put a movie theater in it. With such big closets and regular attendance at nightclubs, I needed a huge expensive wardrobe. Even things I didn’t really care about, like china, needed to be a big deal. I bought two sets of Wedgewood bone china, so that I could serve 16 if necessary.

Minimalism helped me understand that imbalance can be a good thing. I live in 80 square feet on the side of the road. Space isn’t important to me, and neither is permanence of abode. So I scrape those to the absolute minimum. The function of clothes is important to me, so I have really high quality “outdoors” clothes. But I have only two shirts and a pair of pants. I don’t need to signal my status with my shirts.

Minimalism has given me focus. In the time I’m not raking my non-existant yard and not shopping for the latest fashions, I am doing things that I care about. My spending becomes as focused as my time. Most of my expenses involve healthy food and getting places (vehicles / plane tickets). Those are things I care about, and because of my experimentation with minimalism, I’m able to enjoy them more. My time and money are spent efficiently.

Minimalism should be a tool, not a cult. I think it’s a good default, too: when in doubt, don’t accept obligations or buy things. But if you’ve really thought something through and want to buy it, even though it might not fall in line with traditional minimalist dogma, go for it.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

my one thought is, laundry? lol

MBTI
    STP

So it turns out I will likely invest in a truck camper instead of a shell. I'll be building a home somewhere down the road and it will be worth the investment. This should make things far easier but I wonder how the cost will work out if I have to bring it to hookups which can cost up to $50/night. On the other hand I could just do it like once a week to fill the water tank (~30 gallons), keep the freezer stocked with dry ice instead of using the battery, and then try to find some 120v plug somewhere out in public to use so I could plug things in without paying a hotel fee for what is basically a glorified drive way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I subscribe a newsletter of a guy called Tynan that is as adventurous as he is smart. A rare combination, if you ask me. He talks about the advantages of living in a RV here: http://tynan.com/living-in-a-small-rv-introduction . I actually don't plan to do that, but he inspired me with his minimalist lifestyle. He gets more specific on this on other articles.
    Excellent reference, thank you sir.

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    my one thought is, laundry? lol
    I have become a fan of laundrymats because the industrial equipment gets the job done faster and can handle very dirty loads. Just by pulling up it would be like having my own washer and dryer. Similarly to Tynan I've invested in a lot of expensive outdoor clothes so I have enough to go 2+ weeks without washing, I can was like everything in one load and dry in 15 minutes because it's lightweight materials.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    it's hardly a rare combination. adventure goes hand in hand with creativity, imagination and a need for mental stimulation
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yeah, why not? That's cool.

Another alternative to minimalist lifestyles and ways to save money is shared living, like living in a more communal household rather than a traditional one-or-two roommates setting or living alone.

Of course, you have to have a certain personality for that, and a certain vibe in the household, just as you need a certain kind of personality to live in a camper or RV, and the two ways may not be within the same person.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    it's hardly a rare combination. adventure goes hand in hand with creativity, imagination and a need for mental stimulation
    Many people I classify as adventurous are quite busy using steroids, doing drugs, risking their lives at insane speeds and contesting with their buddies who gets to hook up with more women, all of which which I personally do not associate with smartness, but let's not derail the thread with this discussion.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

do you work from home or plan to? i would consider something like this if i didn't have to report to work in some fixed location because the only draw to me would be the traveling part....sounds very interesting tho.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    STP

I work on a contract basis (3 to 6 months in various places across a given metro area)

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Yeah, why not? That's cool.

Another alternative to minimalist lifestyles and ways to save money is shared living, like living in a more communal household rather than a traditional one-or-two roommates setting or living alone.

Of course, you have to have a certain personality for that, and a certain vibe in the household, just as you need a certain kind of personality to live in a camper or RV, and the two ways may not be within the same person.
    it's called so/sx or so/sp
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire