MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    it's called so/sx or so/sp
    No, it's really not. I'm definitely sp/sx and I live this way.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

3 words: Tankless water heater.

http://www.tanklesswaterheaterguide.com/
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    XXFP

this appeals to me greatly.

i'm sold on the minimalism but i also see the value in the "make a ton of money so you can basically do whatever you want" approach.

i've considered the idea of moving to a new city and "settling" for 3 month periods, finding work/activities/people/life, and then moving on to the next bit. just a idea floating in my head that never really got fleshed out.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Another alternative to minimalist lifestyles and ways to save money is shared living, like living in a more communal household rather than a traditional one-or-two roommates setting or living alone.

Of course, you have to have a certain personality for that, and a certain vibe in the household, just as you need a certain kind of personality to live in a camper or RV, and the two ways may not be within the same person.
    Yeah. It is not as easy as Elfboy suggested. There are almost mystical elements to this. I've lived with different kinds of people and many can do it for a while but most can't. First you'd think it is about introversion or need of privacy. This isn't really the biggest obstacle I've observed. The people who end up not enjoying communal living are the ones who need to be in control. They don't like it when someone borrows their stuff (their mug or something), they get annoyed by normal noise, and overall, living with a person like this makes me feel like whatever I do, I am in their way.

I've also lived six months on the road, sleeping in tent most nights. The biggest practical issue was laundry, and sometimes it was really cold. With a car, it will get annoying that there are so few nice places to make camp. You'll see that everything is owned by someone, and you'll probably talk to cops some bit more than so far. But if you don't need to come to civilization for some time, I think it can be awesome.

I'm currently exploring living on a houseboat in the Charles River. I like traveling but I also like having somewhere to come home to. It might end up being more of a retirement thing, and maybe I'd choose somewhere warmer, Mississippi River or something.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Meet my friend Jack. 43, currently lives in a garage. Has lived in a trailer, camper, van, tent, etc. He's done this for years. He slept on my couch in NYC for months.
    He's an artist, a dreamer. Reads books about spirituality, but rarely finishes them. Never stays in relationships for long. He drifts all over the place.
    He's like a brother to me.
    Look him up if your ever in Missoula, Montana or Austin, TX. He's tell you how to live on nearly nothing.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I'm currently exploring living on a houseboat in the Charles River. I like traveling but I also like having somewhere to come home to. It might end up being more of a retirement thing, and maybe I'd choose somewhere warmer, Mississippi River or something.
    oooh that sounds like fun....i love the look of houseboat/ floating home communities. i would love to do that at some point in my life....how fun to take your boat into town to do some shopping. right by where i live people drive their boats to go to dinner at this nearby restaurant with a huge boat dock. i think it's the coolest thing.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INTP

I don't know what your camper entails, but my two concerns would be showering and air conditioning. But then, I live in Texas, and couldn't get by without air conditioning.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    STP

Apparently air-conditioning is hard to get a hold of, but a vent fan could suffice. A lot of decent sized truck campers have showers as well. I'm interested in the "wet bath" models which basically squish the bathroom sink and toilet into the shower stall for a larger shower and smaller bathroom.

It looks like this may just work out. I'll be taking this out under loan collateral, so it depends on how much is approved for a budget. I'm hoping for $30,000 to cover a diesel 2-ton pickup which with care can last up to half a million miles, and the rest of it invested in a solid camper which will also last with regular maintenance. For another $2000 out of pocket I can outfit it with 400+ watts of solar energy. That reduces my bill down to weekly w/s/g refills, food, and laundry. For internet, I could always attach a hi-gain 802.11 antenna and pick up free internet while parked anywhere in the city, then repeat the signal inside the vehicle and use a VoIP mobile phone setup for my phone. Which cuts down the bill to $300/month plus gas, so around $500/month.

What's significant about this is that for a base $6000/year, this would really open up traveling options. All one would have to do is save up 6 grand plus gas and maintenance costs and they could theoretically spend the rest of the year on a road trip/vacation. Personally I won't be doing this as the monthly cost considerations are strictly for the advantage of my budget, but it's still a cool idea nonetheless for anyone wanting to life such a life.

If I can launch this, I'll definitely write a blog about it here. Thanks everyone for your feedback! Keep it coming.

MBTI
    STP

thread contribution:

http://freegan.info/
    http://www.couchsurfing.org/

free mobile VoIP - getting free phone service since you already pay for internet
    http://trillionth.wordpress.com/2011...e-andor-cheap/