Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

Question Your Thoughts On Message Boards & Internet Anonymity

First off, I'm not posting this to be a stick in anyone's craw, I'm genuinely curious. I've been researching the Facebook role-playing community and message board communities for an article I'm working on, and in doing so it has just made me more and more curious about the attitudes of those who invest a lot of time in them (with or without the role playing aspect). I couldn't help but wonder what you folks might have to say on the subject.

Just a few general questions.

1. How much time a week would you say you spend on message boards?

2. Do you find the interactions you have with people online to be more rewarding or less rewarding than interactions you have with people in everyday life?

3. Do you regularly meet people you interact with online, or do you prefer keeping interactions strictly online?

4. Do you feel you behave/speak/interact with people online in the same ways you would in everyday life, or do you behave differently?

5. Do you find online interaction to be mostly positive or mostly negative?

6. What are your favorite aspects of online interaction, and what are your least favorite aspects?

I'd love to hear your feedback, and any other comments/thoughts you want to throw into the mix.

Cheers in advance guys!!
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Gloriana View Post

Way more time now than when I was working/going to school. I don't like this though, because I crave real life socializing more, but everyone is just so dang busy or cranky. I don't know how to remedy that. It's hard to estimate weekly time since I come intermittently, but at least 2 hours a day. It lessens when I'm busier.

2. Do you find the interactions you have with people online to be more rewarding or less rewarding than interactions you have with people in everyday life?

Hmm. I think it can be both. It's really rewarding because people tend to be more imaginative and creative online and I very much like that, but that doesn't seem to be the case as much offline (which I hate - ugh!) but where I live is offline, so that's my primary focus and the gripe I have with online. I guess I feel that online interactions don't always translate well to real life and I see that as a negative.

3. Do you regularly meet people you interact with online, or do you prefer keeping interactions strictly online?

No, I don't regularly meet people from online but I have before.

4. Do you feel you behave/speak/interact with people online in the same ways you would in everyday life, or do you behave differently?

Yes, I say the same things offline as I do online, and behave in the same ways I describe on here but I can't account for whatever different way people may perceive me in their minds that I don't know about and have not intended.

My answer to this would be something similar to my answer to #2, except that I'd add that a negative aspect of internet forums in particular (I don't use Facebook) is that there's often large groups of like-minded people on them with certain views, and it can give the false impression that that view is widely-held offline as well, but that's not always true, and that is something I have to remind others of sometimes.

6. What are your favorite aspects of online interaction, and what are your least favorite aspects?

Favorite: Flowing discussion. Lots of variety of topics- I learn things. The anonymity and lack of negative consequence makes it easier to be more open (which can include trolling for S+G!). I can sign off/leave whenever I want and nobody's going to cry.

Least favorite: Things said online sometimes make me feel really down or angry. I develop a strong liking for people who are far away.

I'd love to hear your feedback, and any other comments/thoughts you want to throw into the mix.

Off topic but you didn't say it had to be on topic so I'm gonna throw in that I really like broccoli today.

Cheers in advance guys!!

Have a nice day!
    Answers in bold.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloriana View Post
    First off, I'm not posting this to be a stick in anyone's craw, I'm genuinely curious. I've been researching the Facebook role-playing community and message board communities for an article I'm working on, and in doing so it has just made me more and more curious about the attitudes of those who invest a lot of time in them (with or without the role playing aspect). I couldn't help but wonder what you folks might have to say on the subject.

Probably about 4 or 5 hours. But I'm always doing other things too. I never go online without also watching TV, listening to podcasts, etc.

Generally more rewarding because there is more depth.

I wouldn't say either, really. I've met people in the past and I will again, but never anything approaching "regularly".

I'm usually a bit more bold online, but it's just revealing more of myself and my thoughts than in real life. I don't adopt more extreme viewpoints because of the anonymity afforded online. I think that's an important distinction.

Mostly positive. The main negative to me would be the time suck.

Favorite is hearing POVs I wouldn't otherwise hear. Least favorite is when people make use of anonymity to commit any number of rhetorical and personal offenses without consequence.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

1. How much time a week would you say you spend on message boards? Oh, about 5 hours, maybe more if I'm working on the computer at work.

More rewarding.

No, I have never met anyone online, and as for the second part of the question, I have mixed feelings about it.

The same, probably.

Depends.

FAVORITE: I'm able to keep Myself guarded. LEAST FAVORITE: People don't have a true opinion about Me.

Anew Leaf

1. Too Much. But I am usually doing something else at the time. If it's during the day then I am working on something at my desk and it is a welcome reprieve from the hell that is accounting. If I am at home and on this forum (the only one I visit), then I am probably watching tv/movie.

2. They both have their pros and cons. Encountering someone who is exceptional is always worth it and rewarding regardless of how you meet that person.

3. I have yet to meet anyone that I first connected with online. I am open to it in a few select cases.

4. I am always myself. Differences occur simply based on who my audience is during a particular moment.

5. Interaction is based on what you get yourself into. If I find myself interacting in an extremely negative environment in my 3D life or online... then I extricate myself like a special forces ninja.

6. Favorite: (1)I get to talk to people from a wide variety of cultures, ages, and experiences. (2) I can be more guarded as needed. (3) I talk best through writing stuff down. (4) I can edit myself... sometimes. Least: When I played WoW I frequently had proposals of marriage.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Probably like 15 hours....sick, I know.
    I do multi-task in this time...downloading music, checking emails, and looking up random info.

Neither...just different. I find interactions in person to be more rewarding emotionally. I sometimes find online interactions more intellectually rewarding.

I occasionally meet people I interact with online, but that has been declining over the past few years. The more interaction I have with real life friends/family, the less I am interested in it.

I am different, but not consciously so. I tend to be more articulate in writing and definitely more long-winded. I think my goofy Ne side emerges more in person; I seem less serious & stiff in a way (or I imagine I seem that way online at times). I tend to discuss different things due to the environment; message boards are more conducive to theory discussion & that sort of thing. In person I can be more open about my religious or political opinions ("values" I suppose) because people don't argue so viscously. I'm wary about debate-prone topics online.

I'm more personal in person, but still quite aloof. More of my feeling actually escapes online than in person, because anonymity also makes that vulnerability feel more safe. It was through online interaction in my early 20s that I realized I am capable of a level of empathy & compassion I previously thought I lacked; I think this is because I found people I could relate to at a time when my real life lacked that.

Mostly positive, or I wouldn't engage in it.

I like being able to discuss things I otherwise would not get to discuss - or at least not at the same depth - and being able to meet people I'd otherwise not get to meet (often due to location). My least favorite aspects are how discussions easily degenerate into petty debates, how anonymity emboldens people to be jerks, the fad of updating people on your every mundane activity, and of course, how addictive & time-sucking it is!
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

While at work (at least until the site gets firewalled), throughout the day, intermittently, so total time would be hard to say. During non-work hours, maybe 5 hours total a week.

I can have more rewarding 'convos' online, more often, than irl. But irl the same sorts of convos can happen, it's just less frequently or with a very select number of people.

Reguarly? No. I have no interest in starting or maintaining real-life long-distance relationships, so most people I 'meet' online stay just as online/email people. I have made some real-life friendships and started relationships after having first met online, though, if they live in my area, and assuming I trust them and we've built something or other online.

I behave the same, yes. But irl I'm very quiet and tend not to elaborate much, so online/in writing is where it's much easier for me to do that, so a lot more of my thoughts come out online than in person.

Neutral? Although my personal stance is that I always want to keep my real-life things going, and try to strive for real-life relationships and interactions, so I try to minimize online stuff.

Favorite = Being able to 'talk' via writing (and of course the discussions themselves are interesting enough for me to post in them), which is easier for me than speaking because I have the time to sift through my thoughts and formulate a response. Least favorite is that I can get sucked into it if I'm not careful.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

A few hours a day.

More rewarding, one tends to gravitate towards places where they meet others with similar interests this is is not always the case in real life. After all, who the hell relates to their whore of a next door neighbour or their bastard of a boss?

No, but mostly on account of distance involved.

Falcarius is a lot more open but just a silly when interacting on the internet compared to face to face communications.

Not necessarily either, in some ways and in other way not so. When one communicates on the internet there is more distance so one can be more open honest about worrying about the consequences. The down side is it very easy for one to neglect their dinosaur people skills if they spend too time interacting on the internet instead of doing so face to face.

One comes across a much broader range of ideas which are not so influenced by socio-economic and environmental conditions. On the other hand, it can be more than a bit time consuming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

Insert Snarky Quip Here Stigmata's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

1. How much time a week would you say you spend on message boards? Depends. I login in random intervals and check to see if there's any topics that spark my interest; If something catches my eye it can range from 30 minutes to a couple of hours. If not, I may be logged on for an accumulated total of only a few minutes a day.

2. Do you find the interactions you have with people online to be more rewarding or less rewarding than interactions you have with people in everyday life? I'd say more rewarding, If only because a forum allows for conversation without all the for formalities and social graces, which is a freedom I enjoy. Each thread has a centralized topic, so there's none of those awkward pauses and fishing for something to fill the dead air moments of regular conversations. Also, I like knowing that once I've reached the boredom point with either the topic at hand or just the nature of the interaction itself, I can just leave freely, whereas that may not always be possible in face-to-face interactions.

3. Do you regularly meet people you interact with online, or do you prefer keeping interactions strictly online? Again, depends on the nature of our interactions. In most instances I'd probably prefer to have them stay where they began, but I wouldn't be vehemently opposed to meeting people online if we had a good rapport.

4. Do you feel you behave/speak/interact with people online in the same ways you would in everyday life, or do you behave differently? I'd say I interact in mostly the same manner, except with less inhibition to say whatever is on my mind.

5. Do you find online interaction to be mostly positive or mostly negative? Generally positive. Depending on the atmosphere of the particular board, online interactions tend to scratch both that intellectual and entertainment itch, sometimes simultaneously, that's lacking in lots of real interactions.

6. What are your favorite aspects of online interaction, and what are your least favorite aspects? As I said in my previous post, I like the nature of the intellectual discussions and debates, as I don't see many opportunities to engage in those types of interactions with most people my age in person, yet, in general, I dislike large group discussions and not actually knowing whether people are paying attention to what I'm saying, which is completely contradictory to the nature of forum based interactions. Also, with text being the most simplistic medium of modern communication, there's lots of room for misinterpretation when you remove body language and tone from the equation.

Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

Just wanted to drop in here and thank all of you guys for these responses.

These are all really interesting and helpful to me, I really appreciate you guys taking the time to answer.
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien