User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Gloriana View Post
    First off, I'm not posting this to be a stick in anyone's craw, I'm genuinely curious. I've been researching the Facebook role-playing community and message board communities for an article I'm working on, and in doing so it has just made me more and more curious about the attitudes of those who invest a lot of time in them (with or without the role playing aspect). I couldn't help but wonder what you folks might have to say on the subject.

Just a few general questions.

1. How much time a week would you say you spend on message boards?
    Not sure - all told, my internet time is probably about 10 hours a week. I guess I should keep track.

2. Do you find the interactions you have with people online to be more rewarding or less rewarding than interactions you have with people in everyday life?
    I find they are different. Often there is a concentration of different people online than may be available to me in real life. It is really nice sometimes to find people who are interested in discussing ideas in a way that not all of my IRL peer group do. Online is like a sped up version of real life, and people tend to be less inhibited online, so I have found it a useful place to observe interactions and learn more about people. I like getting mail and I don't get a lot in real life, so I suppose there's a little incentive to keep checking what was said. Otherwise, I prefer real life interactions.

3. Do you regularly meet people you interact with online, or do you prefer keeping interactions strictly online?
    Depends on the people, but anyone I interact with regularly, I would like to meet.

4. Do you feel you behave/speak/interact with people online in the same ways you would in everyday life, or do you behave differently?
    Pretty similar. I'm maybe a bit more open with my thoughts than I am with a group of people in person. I also find it less stressful to deal with conflict online than I would in person.

5. Do you find online interaction to be mostly positive or mostly negative?
    Mostly positive. I think as time goes on, I'm better able to recognize what sorts of people are likely to be manipulative/volatile and just steer around them to begin with.

6. What are your favorite aspects of online interaction, and what are your least favorite aspects?
    Favourite aspects - brings people together, you tend to get to deeper topics much sooner and with more people, access to a variety of perspectives and thoughts from all over the world, possibility of meeting online friends when travelling, ability to observe before jumping in, learning more about personality/people's personal experience and how they affect their interactions, exposure to new information and ideas.

Least favourite - people are not right there, sucks a lot of time away, can end up investing a lot of time in people you'll never see, people are more able to represent themselves however they want to be seen because you don't have a well-rounded picture of them, people are more likely to be the worst version of themselves because there are no social consequences, never get to meet some of the people that you spend time with.

I'd love to hear your feedback, and any other comments/thoughts you want to throw into the mix.

Cheers in advance guys!!

Insert Snarky Quip Here Stigmata's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Just wanted to drop in here and thank all of you guys for these responses.

These are all really interesting and helpful to me, I really appreciate you guys taking the time to answer.
    What? That's it? Someone told me that by completing this survey my name would be entered into a drawing for a free iPad...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

First off, I'm not posting this to be a stick in anyone's craw, I'm genuinely curious. I've been researching the Facebook role-playing community and message board communities for an article I'm working on, and in doing so it has just made me more and more curious about the attitudes of those who invest a lot of time in them (with or without the role playing aspect). I couldn't help but wonder what you folks might have to say on the subject.

probably as much as 20 hours one week to 4 hours the next...just depending on what is going on how busy i am...how often i'm at home..how much i work etc..

2. Do you find the interactions you have with people online to be more rewarding or less rewarding than interactions you have with people in everyday life?
    depends on the quality of conversation really...but i would prefer to be in person.

3. Do you regularly meet people you interact with online, or do you prefer keeping interactions strictly online?
    i've met some and would love to meet more.

4. Do you feel you behave/speak/interact with people online in the same ways you would in everyday life, or do you behave differently?
    yes...exactly the same.

mostly positive.

6. What are your favorite aspects of online interaction, and what are your least favorite aspects?
    most favorite is the opportunity to meet and discuss so many different topics with so many different sorts of people that i would never have been able to otherwise.

I'd love to hear your feedback, and any other comments/thoughts you want to throw into the mix.

Cheers in advance guys!!
    answers in bold.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    What? That's it? Someone told me that by completing this survey my name would be entered into a drawing for a free iPad...
    I apologize for the propagation of these vicious lies. I understand your disappointment and suffering over this mistake.

I cannot, at this juncture, offer you an iPad but I am authorized to offer you your choice of either a hug basket, or a smooch bouquet.
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

It depends a lot on the day and how many things have caught my interest.

I like the way OrangeAppled described it.
    Online = mentally rewarding, Offline = emotionally rewarding.

I'm big on communication in general. Anything that allows me to seriously communicate with a wide range of people on a variety of topics I'm personally interested in = mentally rewarding.

Offline, with some people I sometimes have an urge to push beyond things like casual politics & current events or celebrity gossip, and go to something that I find a lot more interesting, but it can be taken as rude or inappropriate. Along with that, the streets aren't exactly bustling with people who are obviously interested in the types of things that I am. It might take some time to even work up to a point of asking.

But there are still a number of offline situations which are unparalleled.

No to the first one, don't really know on the second. They would have to be exceptional in some way. If I regularly interacted with someone who I thought was exceptionally amusing or similar-minded (and safe), and who also happened to live not so far from me, I might try it. Even though I was reluctant at the most recent (and first) time someone suggested meeting up offline (seemed like it involved so much effort!), I don't know if I'd write it off entirely.

Online, I'm more quickly self-expressive.
    Offline, strangers and acquaintances don't usually (it goes very slowly, if it ever happens at all) get past my layer of formality & self-effacement unless I feel like we strongly click. But this can happen online too, strangely enough, even with people who I might consider light friends.

Neutral. Sometimes it feels too impersonal but I like that it's more fast-paced.

Favorite: easier to find similar people, easier to find really diverse people (all in one place), much easier to get into the aspects of people that I'm truly most interested in.

Least Favorite: generally impersonal, easier for most to justify treating people like words, lack of tone + body language = possibly more misinterpretations than can be clarified, friendships made here are not taken seriously by most.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Even if I devise an evil plot to destroy the world and post it on my facebook page, when the FBI knocks on my door I can blame it on my little brother!

Or wait.. I don't have a little brother, that excuse only works on the internet.... I need to rethink this...
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

About 3 hours a week but if I have a PM to reply to it can take me 3 hours just to respond! It varies.

No difference

Haven't met anyone but I wouldn't rule it out.

I'm more outgoing online. Probably friendlier and more careful of offending someone online since intent cannot be seen and tone of voice cannot be heard. It would be very easy to post or reply to people in my natural way but I'm sure it would offend or confuse most so I try to use emoticons and nice-it-down.

Neither. It is what it is.

I like not having to speak. I like reading how other people think about things. No real negatives. If I don't like something I can change the thread.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

People probably seen me on daily, cause I have been, I spend a lot of time online. Its in part because if I'm listening to music, watching DVDs or TV shows I generally do so with my laptop on my knee and browse the net for topics to talk about.

I dont meet a lot of the sorts of people that I do online in person, the topics up for discussion are different, either more sophisticated or things which people dont go into a lot of detail about in person. Nothing like the detail of a long thread that is. Plus if the discussion involves different points of view it can give food for thought without anyone losing their temper, alright that's not always the case but sometimes, in a good thread, it doesnt happen. And you can go away, think about it, produce a decent response instead of emoting.

My interaction online is probably not all that positive, this forum is good, facebook operates in the circle of trust, so its generally fine too, but there's places were there's an awful lot of trolling goes on. It doesnt necessarily have to be stalking, nuisance or abusive behaviour, it can be varieties of social exclusion or games playing which are hurtful.

I dont like that sort of thing, even when I'm not the target, sometimes especially when I'm not the target because I know that while I can handle it the people who are the target cant or wont and they'll get reprimanded as a result or simply choose not to visit. I know one forum in which a small group of about three or four cant understand why newbies are so rare but when new people do turn up they're less than inviting, sometimes making them the butt of jokes, or simply ignoring their attempts to make discussion in favour of the established posters.

I'm always reminded of the episodes of the simpsons in which comic book guy writes a comic which bart and millhouse think is great but he panics online critics will tear to shreads, naming three usernames in particular, bart tells him he shouldnt worry about those guys and millhouse says two of them are him. I think more online contacts than people know ARE actually like that.

I dont know if it was here or elsewhere that I posted about it but I'd not be surprised if eventually some bots are designed with a large enough reportaire of responses which can then be sold to people to provide the sorts of supportive input and responses they need to feel grand. A little like the present "cloud" or phony girlfriend services which I think were available on Amazon for a bit. If you think that's outlandish, well, you can actually hire "friends" in person in China and Japan already.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    You mean if I pester you with e-mails regularly enough you'll want to go for coffee? Awesome!

Permabanned

Too much. I would say it's my main method of entertaining myself. Sad, but it beats TV and video games.

Sadly, more rewarding. In real life people are afraid of being too mean or whatever. Online, people just say what they want to...it's refreshing.

They are always kept separate. I grew up reading about the perils of the internet, so I'm extremely paranoid. Even giving out basic information like my name worries me.

Hells to the fuck yes I behave differently. As evidenced by my previous statement.

Mostly positive. What's not to like about being able to interact with people from all over the world?

You get to say what you want to say. My least favorite part would be the realization that no matter what you have ever thought about, there is always someone somewhere that can take your idea and expand on it and turn into something that is better than you could ever have thought of. I would say that this is also my favorite part.