Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I'd consider my surname to be unfortunate. It's not LOL funny, but it's ugly & always makes people pause. I was planning to change it back to the original family name when I turned 18 (as it's an invention of my grandparents to sound more "American"), but it's actually expensive & a pain to change your name legally (on the birth certificate, as opposed to taking a married name, as the license itself provides the change & you just have to notify the gov agencies). Or at least back then, it seemed difficult...it's probably easier now to do online.

Anyway, I put it off until I had too much of a paper trail, so that it would be even more of a pain. Plus, I've always wanted to marry someday & I figured that I'll just change it then.....

There are far worse names out there too, I've discovered. I went to a HS grad recently & one kid had the surname "Sidebottom". I'll take my name over that.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Stronzo Bestiale is pretty unfortunate, although I suspect it was a pseudonym.

MBTI
    STUF

found this in the local graveyard. fitting for this thread.
    Whoops.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    Why is Dick even a name ?
    How long has it been slang for you-know-what? I don't think I've met any Dicks younger than 70 or 80... But this thread suggests that there may be some out there who are only 40 or 50, which is harder to understand!

In the case of that couple named Dick and Gay, Gay has only been used for homosexual since the 60s, hasn't it? And she would have been born in the 30s or so. But honestly, by the time that Dick and Gay both became names with, er, issues, I think the Dick at least would want to go with Richard or Rick...

They were an absolutely lovely couple - she has died now, sadly. I feel a bit bad about mocking their names, but how can you not find Dick and Gay funny? And a surname pronounced Toes to go along with it... Only Head would have been much worse.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    How long has it been slang for you-know-what? I don't think I've met any Dicks younger than 70 or 80... But this thread suggests that there may be some out there who are only 40 or 50, which is harder to understand!
    I knew an entire family of Dicks (surname) back at an old church. They were very nice. At least the husband's name wasn't Harry.

They were an absolutely lovely couple - she has died now, sadly. I feel a bit bad about mocking their names, but how can you not find Dick and Gay funny?
    I knew a woman named Gay at my last church. She's probably in her 60's now. The funny thing is, she wasn't very happy; she was rather dour.

Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post
    found this in the local graveyard. fitting for this thread.
    OMG. The Gay I mentioned -- her husband's name was Carl too. Go figure. (Last name was different, though.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post
    glasscock is one that always gets me, every time I hear it I fall into a fit of childish laughter.
    Reminds me of that Harlan Ellison story, "Demon with a Glass Hand" (that the movie The Terminator was based on).

Of course, with a slight difference.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    GONE

We had a 3rd grade teacher named Mr. Pugh prononce "P.U" as in "that smells bad". Also knew a lesbian whose last name was 'Faget' and she pronounced it the French way as 'Fah Jzay' but not sure others did. :P Also knew a woman of Nordic descent - very pale, tall, etc. - whose last name was 'Nyggard' which she made sure everyone knew was pronounced "Neigh Guard". Heehee.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post
    I remember this Olympic competitor (trampoline or something) with the last name "Cockburn". The announcers always pronounced it "Coe-burn". I'd lol.
    There is a Canadian singer named Bruce Cockburn, also pronounced Coe-burn.

He is actually a bit of a legend in Canada, so I think Canadians are quite used to his name and unlikely to titter and giggle. However, I can totally understand why people less familiar with the name would be amused by Cockburn.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Yeah, I was surprised by how many people get a kick out of that name when I went outside of Canada.

Two names from our town that are just awkward generally:
    Farkas
    Schwingenschwagl (they shorten it up to Schwing generally)