User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

A common Mennonite last name is Dyck. Unfortunately, some people have over the years altered their spelling to Dick. And even more unfortunately, the family of one of my colleagues named two of the boys Bernard (Bernie) and Harold (Harry). They actually went by these short form names. As time went on the first changed both his first and last name.

I know of two women whose first name just happened to be part of their married last name as well. eg Hazel Hazelmire. A very unimaginative family I know named their son Peter Peters. Another one of my friends married a man whose last name rhymed with her first name. After her first date with him, she said, "He's a really nice person, but I can't see the relationship going anywhere because I just can't see being known as Sheri Cherry for my whole life."

Around where I live there are a number of native people with traditional last names such as Nicotine, Yellow Blanket, Greyeyes, etc. At my mum's school was a family where the mother's last name was Big Ears. The children were named Charles, Batman, Robin (male), Wolfsong (Bubba), Fluttering Sparrow, Shania and Brandi. I'm not sure if they chose to go by their mum's name, or if they looked for a different surname.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I knew a couple named Dick (Richard, but he went by Dick) and Gay Toews (pronounced Toes).

They're quite a bit older than my parents' age and I think they were known to comment "we had those names first", or something
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

I know someone called Richard Head, no joke, poor bugger

MBTI
    IsFJ

I imagine nowadays it must be awkward having "Van Dyke" for a surname...

You know, I remember reading, in a Steven Pinker book, about some Jewish men wanting to change surnames like Koch, Lipschitz and Fuchs - evolving language has a way of creating potential embarassment.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

When the explorer Vivian Fuchs went to Antarctica, a British newspaper reportedly had the headline "Dr Fuchs Off to the Antarctic," and also reportedly a later headline for another expedition, "Dr Fuchs Off Again".

Rumour has it that this may be an urban myth (this was in the 50s, I believe), but I'd prefer to think it really happened.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

My aunt/ uncle/ cousins' last name is Crapper. My uncle is related to the guy who invented the toilet.

And the word "crap" came about *because* of his name Crapper. So, crap wouldn't mean what it does if the toilet had been invented by someone else.

The funny thing is, the guy who invented it was originally named Cropper, but he was ashamed to have such a lowly last name (meaning he descended from farmers), so he changed it to Crapper, hahaha.

He gave his invention, the flush toilet, a really long name that ended with his name. So of course people called it the "crapper" for short, hence the origin of the word "crap".

My last name is vaguely unfortunate, as it is famous for someone notorious, but it actually has the advantage of making it memorable. It also helps break the ice when people make the same joke every time, "any relation"...? So because of that, I don't mind getting the same joke every time. And of course, I always jokingly claim that he's my uncle. It also helps me break the ice whenever someone asks for my name, and it helps me explain the spelling. I say spelled like so-and-so, and they laugh and get the spelling correct.

I also got my luggage back at the airport right away once when it was highly unlikely. It was Christmas, a bunch of flights were cancelled due to snow, and I went to the airport Christmas Eve to see if I could get my luggage before Christmas Day. There was still a lot of chaos and they hadn't sorted everything out yet, but the guy I asked remembered seeing mine because of my memorable last name. So I was able to walk in, ask for my luggage, and walk out, while others had been waiting around for hours.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

at work not too long ago i had to call someone named brenda smells...wth you know your kid will be teased mercilessly with a name like that. it's not that bad and i'm sure ive heard worse but i'd still be embarrassed by it.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I knew a couple named Dick (Richard, but he went by Dick) and Gay Toews (pronounced Toes).

They're quite a bit older than my parents' age and I think they were known to comment "we had those names first", or something
    oh shit...those are both just horrible.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Diving into Ni-space Crescent Fresh's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

My grade 11 English teacher from high school, Ms. Patricia Hipgrave.

MBTI
    ENTP

gay towels hahahahaha