User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

MBTI
    FREE

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Danger Warning: Correlation does not imply causation never mind the small sample size.
    Haha, you're talking to a amateur statistician here buddy. Correlation may not imply causation, but it is useful in prediction.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Haha, you're talking to a amateur statistician here buddy. Correlation may not imply causation, but it is useful in prediction.
    With one sample point? *wiggles eyebrows* I'm cynical. Be careful with using labels I can flaunt lots of those myself if I wanted and none of them are amateur, but I try not to, lets allow the technical merits of the sample and the information win through. It was a warning not a, sacre bleu! impossible!

MBTI
    FREE

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    With one sample point? *wiggles eyebrows* I'm cynical. Be careful with using labels I can flaunt lots of those myself if I wanted and none of them are amateur, but I try not to, lets allow the technical merit to win through.
    Bwahahaha! Of course I'm not going to infer something about the population from a single person, but it is nonetheless interesting to me. This is to enhance my working knowledge of IQ, and to stretch the brain muscles a bit. You're absolutely right though, NOBODY USE WHAT IS SAID IN THIS THREAD TO CONCLUDE ANYTHING ABOUT THE POPULATION AT LARGE!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Smile OE (Over-Excitable)

The interesting thing about the gifted is that they are different. They are different intellectually and they are different emotionally.

Most of us can understand intellectual difference but few of us appreciate emotional difference.

So what is the emotional difference?

Well, the gifted are formally said to be over-excitable (OE). This means they have a very high response to stimulae, and in this case, emotional stimulae.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Well, unlike MBTI, IQ seems to have a "better/worse" element... MBTI uses complementary functions, whereas I fail to see what are the unique advantages of having low IQ (besides being less susceptible to ostracization from your peers).

I do not mean to sound contentious, I was just pointing out what I perceived to be a flaw in the analogy...
    Actually, the analogy as to how MBTI and IQ tests work is still valid. I made an analogy that a pear and an apple are both fruits, whilest you say that they both do not have the same shape. Both are correct, both are valid, but the flaw you perceived in my analogy was your own understanding of said analogy. So maybe this analogy clears things up a bit. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    This thread is the lovechild of my thoughtful nature and bionic's rigid standards for choosing a mate. In the thread entitled Too ugly for a "beautiful people" dating site?, bionic asserted that she would be unwilling to take a lover with an IQ lower than 130. This got me thinking about those qualitative properties that might be associated with having a higher IQ.

I notice that for the most part all occupations are well represented by individuals with IQs lower than 130. In terms of ability to understand complex materials, succeed in intellectual environments, converse with peers, etc., an individual with an IQ at around 120 should (given sufficient interest and drive) do reasonably well. Furthermore, if one were to look at those correlations with IQ which might be useful in choosing a mate (heath, propensity for criminal behavior, job performance, income, etc.), one would note that such relationships are modeled well by nonlinear (logarithmic) regression; and that although there is correlation between IQ and these variables, such a correlation approaches 0 when one deals exclusively with IQs from the upper limits of above average to genius levels.* This effectively means that increases in IQ after a certain point are not substantially correlated with those quantitative factors which might be useful in mate selection.

This brings me to the main topic of this thread, which deals with those qualitative aspects of a person which are associated with having a higher IQ. What positive traits might a person gain by those 10, 20, 30 point increases in IQ, once said person is already well above average? Could it be that the mathematics professor with an IQ of 150 has an easier time accomplishing his work objectives than the professor with an IQ of 125? Would the very superior professor accomplish more or be able to devote more time to his spouse than his above average counterpart? Could there be less stress for Mr. Very Superior, which affords him a lifestyle which promotes kindness and warmth?

I'm curious about how different the experiences would be when dealing with someone with a genius level IQ as opposed to a similarly inclined individual with just a superior IQ. Once a certain level of intellect is reached, what differences might we observe when looking at individuals with markedly different IQs (130 vs. 160 for instance)?

Also, if anyone has had his/her IQ officially tested, it might be interesting if you'd share it and provide some personal anecdotes about your relationship style, life success, etc.
    First of all, IQs above 160 are dubious at best due to the lack of standardization. It becomes rather arbitrary at a certain stage.

Second of all, personality is an important component of intelligence, in my opinion. IQ is nothing more than raw processing power (a rather coarse measure at that); it does not reveal how an individual approaches and interprets life.

Hence, in my not so humble estimation, a high IQ INTJ, for example, is more "intelligent" than an ISTP with the same score because the personality is more "intelligent."

Individuals generally connect with those of similar intelligence, as is the case with almost all other traits. A stupid individual tends to bore an intelligent individual (and just as often vice versa).
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    —Bonaparte

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Talionis View Post
    Hence, in my not so humble estimation, a high IQ INTJ, for example, is more "intelligent" than an ISTP with the same score because the personality is more "intelligent."
    I wouldn't go that far... he might be more 'intellectual' or have more interests where IQ is a major factor in performance, but the ISTP is going to be just as awesomely quick at picking up skills and solving problems in his area of expertise.
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The interesting thing about the gifted is that they are different. They are different intellectually and they are different emotionally.

Most of us can understand intellectual difference but few of us appreciate emotional difference.

So what is the emotional difference?

Well, the gifted are formally said to be over-excitable (OE). This means they have a very high response to stimulae, and in this case, emotional stimulae.
    Evidence?

Granted, I have come across my share of hyperactive nerds, but they have been the exception to the rule. I figured that they were simply the results of poor parenting, ADHD, or neurosis. Most of the truly gifted individuals that I have come across in life (professors) are rational introverts. A far cry from being "over-excitable." That strikes me as the type of nonsense one would encounter when watching one of those silly documentaries about "gifted" children.
    —Bonaparte

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
    I wouldn't go that far... he might be more 'intellectual' or have more interests where IQ is a major factor in performance, but the ISTP is going to be just as awesomely quick at picking up skills and solving problems in his area of expertise.
    You are conflating acquired skills with intelligence. Area of "expertise" does not interest me.
    —Bonaparte

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Talionis View Post
    You are conflating acquired skills with intelligence. Area of "expertise" does not interest me.
    Watch out; next they'll be wanting gold starts for coming last.

I've noted that people underplay the INTJs ability for both crystallised and fluid intelligence at an appropriate level of detail and relevant to the task at hand.

You will also note that EQ is actually a very high scoring trait for INTJs, there is merely a misconception regarding NF EQ where they believe that EQ = emotional acceptance. EQ is a measure of the ability to guage the emotional state of others accurately, it is not a gauge of sycophancy but a gauge of observation. Infact, INT with a Je tends to have very high EQ because they mechanise observation and picking up emotional cues.

The trick: learning to disregard information which you have no interest in indulging whether it is intellectual or emotional and keeping it relevant to the task at hand.

Learned skills/experience are a much simpler to track phenomenon. The statistic that I remember in the back of my mind is that if you spend 10,000 hours dedicated to a task you become a virtuoso. I don't see this as a cognitive consequence, merely learned experience. A high IQ individual who does not spend 10,000 hours dedicating to a task will not learn the same skills as someone with a low IQ who does so.

As I said to Jonnyboy, there is a reason I'm not flaunting my qualifications; because I can easily trump others, but that would stifle debate and even I might learn something new from the thread.

I recommend that someone does a qualitative analysis of the Cattell-Horn-Carroll theory versus MBTI type. That would tick my box.