User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Iq is like Mbti, it's a categorial system classifying people based on a variety of measurements. A variety of measurements that are, to me, very incomplete.
    Well, unlike MBTI, IQ seems to have a "better/worse" element... MBTI uses complementary functions, whereas I fail to see what are the unique advantages of having low IQ (besides being less susceptible to ostracization from your peers).

I do not mean to sound contentious, I was just pointing out what I perceived to be a flaw in the analogy...

MBTI
    STP

In my experience IQ is a measure of one's aptitude in inferred logic, but only one of many aptitudes a person needs in life. Because it's measurable people tend to place more value in it, and those that have an aptitude for inferred logic often find their sense of value in this. Because they find their sense of value in it they also tend to invest themselves into that, and can become bored with other aspects of life because they don't register as particularly valuable in that person's strongest aptitude.

So I find this kind of thing to be very narrow-minded because it's only one aptitude of many. I score at a genius level and this is reflected in my life "success" as well so I am not just saying this out of envy or contempt. I honestly think that it is a very narrow-minded assessment and there is really nothing about inferred logic that makes it inherently more valuable to life than other less rigid or measurable aptitudes.

If anything, it's hurtful to society because it segregates, one side feeling outcast and finding an empty sense of superiority in their strongest aptitude and the rest possibly not realizing or taking advantage of their strongest aptitude because it's not measurable, which is even more of a shame.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    Wow-- that one sentence holds everything I wish I'd been able to say! I feel like a lot of personal development is about throwing stuff against the wall & seeing what sticks-- i.e., it's very physical & maybe even violent to the self in some way, & the 'abstracted intellectual' part is merely the pattern observable in what you've thrown against the wall... it can be a chaotic & fearful perspective but usually leads you toward being less dismissive of other people, because you realize the chances are low that someone's lived their entire life & not become intelligent in SOME way, even if they aren't aware of how..

But that's going way too far down the NF trail for the comfort of this thread..

'xactly.
    <--- I've just gotta throw one out there before this gets banned.

stupid is as stupid does.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I know I generally don't notice people's intelligence level unless it's markedly higher or lower than mine--as in noticeable in conversation. The standardized IQ test I took in high school indicated that mine was "at least" 140, because that's the highest the scoring went on that particular one. I know I'm intelligent in certain ways, but, for instance, I absolutely suck at math and other technical, dry subjects, and I felt quite average at the graduate level in English. I knew I had above average aptitude, but I also know there are people who are much smarter than me, and/or have an aptitude for thinking in that specific, academic, deconstructionist way. Additionally, I know plenty of people who aren't academically inclined at all, but blow me away with their intelligence in other ways. I think as far as dating goes, if I don't notice how remarkably smart or dumb you are, it's probably a good fit.
    Yeah, I mostly feel the same way.

I do remember reading somewhere that in more successful relationships, partners are separated by no more than 5 points. Personally I think a separation of 10 points wouldn't be that much worse but I do agree that too much of a large spread in IQ between a couple (more than 20 or 30 points say) would be problematic as the differences become more noticeable.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I remember an INTJ schoolmate explaining me how he was using a sort of pavlov conditioning method to make the teachers end the classes at a certain time. Not very complex, but I wondered how many people could he have that kind of conversation with without making the other person feel stupid or, perhaps more likely, making the person think he is weird.
    I don't think IQ is the exact answer, as anyone can practice those exercises and greatly improve their results, but I believe people on a similar intellectual level understand and relate to each other much better. Sometimes I have to pretend I'm less smart than I am to relate to some people and this is really draining.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by jwn86 View Post
    In my experience IQ is a measure of one's aptitude in inferred logic, but only one of many aptitudes a person needs in life. Because it's measurable people tend to place more value in it, and those that have an aptitude for inferred logic often find their sense of value in this. Because they find their sense of value in it they also tend to invest themselves into that, and can become bored with other aspects of life because they don't register as particularly valuable in that person's strongest aptitude.

So I find this kind of thing to be very narrow-minded because it's only one aptitude of many. I score at a genius level and this is reflected in my life "success" as well so I am not just saying this out of envy or contempt. I honestly think that it is a very narrow-minded assessment and there is really nothing about inferred logic that makes it inherently more valuable to life than other less rigid or measurable aptitudes.

If anything, it's hurtful to society because it segregates, one side feeling outcast and finding an empty sense of superiority in their strongest aptitude and the rest possibly not realizing or taking advantage of their strongest aptitude because it's not measurable, which is even more of a shame.
    This post is very insightful. The person in my life that I think could be "genious level" IQ actually happens to be dysfunctional in this world. I don't score a very high level, but can relate to/ be fascinated by someone who is supposedly "average" , even "MR" because they appear to have a different viewpoint than myself.

I don't know if IQ is "inferred logic"- but I suppose that is the closest description that we can get- (I haven't actually studied IQ in depth) however, I agree that it appears to favor one quality over another.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Yes, I do agree that there seems to be a logarithmic relationship between IQ and its own importance in terms of overall accomplishment. Probably, you won't see strong difference in life outcomes anywhere beyond 120, and intellectual ability will be strongly influenced by a person's willingness to learn (or lack thereof). Plus, since school occupies such a big part of our lives, there might be a strong sense of boredom and lackadaisicalness in someone whose IQ allows for very little effort (I have a friend which I personally deem quite a lot smarter / mentally quicker than me, and he is academically quite unsuccessful, mostly due to these reasons).
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    FREE

Quote Originally Posted by jwn86 View Post

I'm not sure if a number segregates a people any more than wealth, business success, beauty, etc. I do agree that if a person restricts himself to IQ in his analysis of himself and others that he would miss much; however, this thread is about how IQ might be associated with certain other meaningful characteristics. Since you are the first person in this thread (of whom I know) who has an IQ in the 164+ range, I wonder if you could provide some details about your life experiences. I've heard it mentioned in the past that a 20-30 point difference in IQ makes conversation difficult, and my guess is that your IQ is probably 20 or 30 points higher than my own and many of those who have posted in this thread. Do you find it difficult to talk with most people? Any additional insights would be most appreciated.

P.S. - If you find that there isn't anything meaningful correlated with a high IQ, don't hesitate to say so; but please include reasons (such as personal experience, study, observations). I'm hoping to learn something here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I'm hoping to learn something here.
    Danger Warning: Correlation does not imply causation never mind the small sample size.