User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

ThatGirl

But I didn't think we were measuring worldly intelligence. I agree, just because someone has a high IQ doesn't mean they are an ideal person to date. However, that doesn't mean people with high IQs cant be seen as an asset for having that characteristic either.

Its a matter of preference, just like whether you are a butt or boob guy. Some people prefer the qualities associated with IQ scores. I don't see why people get overly sensitive about that. I will never have a small ass, but that doesn't mean I am going to try to disprove the attractiveness of a small ass, and get butt hurt if someone talks about them as a personal preference.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Personally, I'd rather be with someone with a lower IQ than Me. There's nothing I hate more than feeling inferior.

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    What is your IQ, ThatGirl?
    My IQ isn't brag worthy, but I have a preference for people with higher IQs.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    A really good way to learn about yourself is to play games. I've gotten into being roped into playing various games of strategy over many years on a lunch hour. I come off a bit of a ditz in playstyle and people have a tendency to interpret it as being below par IQ-wise, but once my intuition starts clicking in I start kicking ass. It started that I was ripped for being a ditz, but it has turned into a running joke, because I win.
    Exactly, that (if I understand you) really is the best way to advance your mind... to put the whole "intelligence" horse-race completely outside your concern-- actually to view it as more or less a joke. People who do that are always the best to be around & communicate with, because they can effortlessly see everything in an open field, with infinite approaches to understanding. To the intellectual observer, that person looks like someone playing a trick, someone who doesn't take anything seriously. To me it's worth striving for.
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I don't really see much value in something that is as easily manipulated as IQ scores. You can take courses/study for it and improve your score. There is nothing on that exam that can't be learned, and anyone with enough determination can increase their IQ by a measurable amount. It's nothing more than an intellectual dick-measuring tool. Sure, you've got a big one, but what can you do with it? That's what matters. I don't care what your arbitrary number says you are. I care what you've done, what you can do, how driven to succeed you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Being capable of processing information a certain way that is perceived as above average, does not an intelligent person make. :P
    This.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    But I didn't think we were measuring worldly intelligence. I agree, just because someone has a high IQ doesn't mean they are an ideal person to date. However, that doesn't mean people with high IQs cant be seen as an asset for having that characteristic either.

Its a matter of preference, just like whether you are a butt or boob guy. Some people prefer the qualities associated with IQ scores. I don't see why people get overly sensitive about that. I will never have a small ass, but that doesn't mean I am going to try to disprove the attractiveness of a small ass, and get butt hurt if someone talks about them as a personal preference.
    The part people get sensitive about it setting a certain set minimum, whilest it's obvious that, even if the qualities often associated with IQ scores are prefered, it is not impossible for someone of a lower IQ to bring those same qualitites to the table, and perhaps even more.

And I'm going to shoot myself in the foot with this analogy, but even if your ass is big, you can still dress in certain ways to minimize its robustness. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    It's nothing more than an intellectual dick-measuring tool. Sure, you've got a big one, but what can you do with it? That's what matters.
    OMG!! OMG!!!

first.
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I don't have a cut off point, but the people I have had the best conversations with, and a mutual mental respect and understanding, have all been tested over 140. Maybe it is a coincidence.

The way I can tell round about where someone is, is in their ability to accurately follow, understand, and assess certain thought processes and conversations, approaches, analysis, while dealing with or multi tasking through whatever number of variables are required simultaneously.

IQ helps with that.
    Really? If you were to have a convo with my brother, you would have one of the most disconnected conversation you've probably ever experienced. When he's focused, he's set and deliberate and definitive.

Talk to my father who is also quite a bit over 140 but not where my brother has tested, and while he can be extremely charming and appear agreeable on the surface, underneath it all is a very set way of thinking.

Talk to my sister and she will shred your thought process into tiny, tiny bits and she too is over 140 and bat shyte crazy.

The above 3 are nuts.

One of my exes consistently tested around 200 using Internet IQ tests (which most often score way too high), although he hasn't ever been officially tested using sb or other recognised forms IQ tests. He's quite eccentric, capable of connecting with people but most often, didn't really like people in general since he found them too stupid to keep up.

I dunno TG. Reliant on what IQ test these 140 and over people you're talking about, not all IQ tests are created equally. Not even close. Even the different versions of sb aren't equal.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    Exactly, that (if I understand you) really is the best way to advance your mind... to put the whole "intelligence" horse-race completely outside your concern-- actually to view it as more or less a joke. People who do that are always the best to be around & communicate with, because they can effortlessly see everything in an open field, with infinite approaches to understanding. To the intellectual observer, that person looks like someone playing a trick, someone who doesn't take anything seriously. To me it's worth striving for.
    Yeah, I guess that was part of what I was saying.. though mostly I was just exploring. Once you quantify something and put a lot of stock into that label you loose a huge dimension of what it actually is. It's a simplification. I think you end up screwing yourself if you count too much on it with people. You use numbers to calculate answers, but when it comes to life and people we can't even come up with the right question.

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    The part people get sensitive about it setting a certain set minimum, whilest it's obvious that, even if the qualities often associated with IQ scores are prefered, it is not impossible for someone of a lower IQ to bring those same qualitites to the table, and perhaps even more.

And I'm going to shoot myself in the foot with this analogy, but even if your ass is big, you can still dress in certain ways to minimize its robustness. :P
    Lol, that is true. To be honest I do not know anyone who sticks so concretely to their potential-mate wish list, and isn't willing to compromise for someone who makes them happy. Having a standard is a starting point, not an absolute. I think a high IQ is a reasonable standard.