User Tag List

First 334142434445 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by hel View Post
    This is interesting. I wonder how many people involved in this thread have been given an IQ test by a professional in person as opposed to taking a test online. I had to take one when I was thirteen. For one question they asked me to draw a straight line. I couldn't. My hand shook because I'm sick. It's nice to know that anyone who would've answered all of the questions exactly the same as me but would've been able to draw a straight line because they're healthy would've gotten a higher score than me, and would be considered smarter.
    I was given one periodically from age 3 to age 19 last score was 110.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I was given one periodically from age 3 to age 19 last score was 110.
    Why did they give you one periodically, do you know? I got 129 but they only tested me that one time when I was in ninth grade because I wasn't doing well in school anymore.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

This is interesting. I wonder how many people involved in this thread have been given an IQ test by a professional in person as opposed to taking a test online. I had to take one when I was thirteen. For one question they asked me to draw a straight line. I couldn't. My hand shook because I'm sick. It's nice to know that anyone who would've answered all of the questions exactly the same as me but would've been able to draw a straight line because they're healthy would've gotten a higher score than me, and would be considered smarter.
    I had the MENSA test when I was 8 because my dad wanted to find out how intelligent I was. Didn't complete the whole test (I think I had a test aimed at adults) but I still scored an IQ of 168. Yes, I'm really good at some stuff, but not everything. Besides for you, I don't think drawing a straight line would be an indicator of intelligence of anything much. Are all tests flawed anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Luke O View Post
    I had the MENSA test when I was 8 because my dad wanted to find out how intelligent I was. Didn't complete the whole test (I think I had a test aimed at adults) but I still scored an IQ of 168. Yes, I'm really good at some stuff, but not everything. Besides for you, I don't think drawing a straight line would be an indicator of intelligence of anything much. Are all tests flawed anyway?
    Are all IQ tests flawed? Probably. There have been some studies to support this: IQ tests are 'fundamentally flawed' and using them alone to measure intelligence is a 'fallacy', study finds | Science | News | The Independent

In terms of actual IQ tests versus online IQ tests, I do tend to score about 30-40 points higher on online IQ tests than the score I got on the one actual IQ test I was given in person, so this makes me think that something really wonky is going on with the online ones. But in terms of the validity of the in person one, I don't know how accurately we can pin all of this down. And if the IQ test itself is flawed, then I don't know if it makes sense to take it to the next step and try to associatite qualities and life trajectories to people with high IQs.
    Likes Luke O liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

Are all IQ tests flawed? Probably. There have been some studies to support this: IQ tests are 'fundamentally flawed' and using them alone to measure intelligence is a 'fallacy', study finds | Science | News | The Independent

In terms of actual IQ tests versus online IQ tests, I do tend to score about 30-40 points higher on online IQ tests than the score I got on the one actual IQ test I was given in person, so this makes me think that something really wonky is going on with the online ones. But in terms of the validity of the in person one, I don't know how accurately we can pin all of this down. And if the IQ test itself is flawed, then I don't know if it makes sense to take it to the next step and try to associatite qualities and life trajectories to people with high IQs.
    i actually score lower on them, but i think i'm an anomaly based on everyone else claiming they score higher
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes magpie liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

You can use test results as evidence definitely, but they don't show the full picture. Besides for IQ, all you get at the end is a number, it isn't much of a result in terms of telling you much about a person.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    Probably anecdotal based on illusory superiority. Everything I've read in behavioral psychology/economics suggests the opposite is more often the case, and that the causation flows both ways.
    Of course

Thank you for your input.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

That's because online tests are not 'real tests'.
    Also keep in mind an IQ test's ideal setting is in front of a psychologist they're probably meeting for the first time, and done one time without 'trial runs' - because that's the normal testing environment the measurements were based on. Not the best score someone managed on his/her best day in his/her ideal environment on a low-quality test made mostly to make people money (ie: buy the super package to explain WHY he/she's such a genius in detail makes more money if you inflate scores).

Most self reported IQs are bullshit. (because it's designed as a base 100 test with a normalized/gaussian type distribution these days, and if you ask random people you'd get an average of 120 or something - which is obviously not possible as that's something like the 90% percentile)

I also suspect that an environment such as this forum leads people to inflate their scores even further (the bs scores I mention in most cases - so wrong in the first place) given that there's a higher population of high iq indidividuals. Even in case of professionally administered tests, I doubt most people go to a specialized psychologist who can count IQ test assessment as their specialty.

Anyway, a few thoughts.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

... In theory.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Luke O View Post
    You can use test results as evidence definitely, but they don't show the full picture. Besides for IQ, all you get at the end is a number, it isn't much of a result in terms of telling you much about a person.
    Well true. But that's not the purpose of the test I guess.
    Then neither do the MBTI, enneagram etc. IQ show a huge amount of correlates, predictive power (statistical rather than personal of course) than the aforementioned don't.
    There's no perfect framework, so I think it's more constructive to see them as complimentary without dismissing them on the sole ground that they're not some all-encompasing human assessment tool. Because individually, they're not meant to be.

Keep in mind IQ scores are broken down in several components (depending on the test, but traditionally you'd get mathematical, spatial, verbal, working memory etc.).

Taking the example of Ashkenazi jews, which show medium-high verbal IQ and slightly below average performance IQ, it does result in different flavors of 'intelligence' than an individuals with the opposite trends (don't quote me on the numbers though, read that a while back and didn't check the study's methodology - the performance iq might be av.)

... In theory.

Likes Luke O liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Strictly speaking of IQ scores, I would not be surprised if the average IQ of the forum is somewhere around 120. That's my impression anyway, the vast majority of people here are quite intelligent. Personality forums by their nature tend to attract more people of higher intelligence due to the very nature of the material. It's highly subjective, requires a lot of conceptual thought which isn't easy to get right, and the strong introspective requirement lends to people of higher overall intelligence being more interested in it, and wanting to understand it further (as well as being capable of being fairly proficient at it).
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Likes Bush Did 9/11, Punderstorm liked this post