User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

MBTI
    FREE

I think people focus on IQ because it is an easily measured value which has a relatively strong correlation with overall intelligence. In this way, people can use it to assess how intelligence is correlated with other factors, whether or not it can be influenced by education, etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post

If you meet someone who seems like a total GENIOUS-- they're full of interesting ideas, energy, conversation, inventiveness, whatever-- but after a year you find out their IQ is only 110, do you suddenly think less of them?
    Obviously not. That doesn't mean it wont cause problems with understanding each other later down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Iq is like Mbti, it's a categorial system classifying people based on a variety of measurements. A variety of measurements that are, to me, very incomplete.

For example, I don't like the name Inteligence quotation much..

It should be called the intuitive, rather than intelligence. Intelligence to me is a accumalation of all of lifes experiences and wisdom and the ability to use it to its fullest potential, whilest iq tests only measure the ability to potentially use lifes experiences and wisdom. But does not need either of those to be of any significance in order to get a high score.
    Potential is important. Otherwise you may end up asking something from someone they honestly are not capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    For those who believe you can select an arbitrary cut off point for IQ as it relates to dating, can each of you tell what IQ everyone else is?
    I don't have a cut off point, but the people I have had the best conversations with, and a mutual mental respect and understanding, have all been tested over 140. Maybe it is a coincidence.

The way I can tell round about where someone is, is in their ability to accurately follow, understand, and assess certain thought processes and conversations, approaches, analysis, while dealing with or multi tasking through whatever number of variables are required simultaneously.

IQ helps with that.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I think people focus on IQ because it is an easily measured value which has a relatively strong correlation with overall intelligence. In this way, people can use it to assess how intelligence is correlated with other factors, whether or not it can be influenced by education, etc.
    Yeah but it's like the Marxist idea of reification-- something which begins as an abstraction is focused on so extensively & obsessively that it becomes real, & finally replaces what it originally was made to represent. That's the immediate impression I get when people start talking about their 'IQ standards'.

Also it's so vain & narcissistic-- "I took this test which said I was a Genius, now I can only be around other Geniuses", when the person speaking hasn't achieved anything of importance in their life & is a wholly average human being; it's like a narcissist who has an image of his or herself & what's important is not actually DOING anything but simply being seen in that image. It's like, just get over yourself, you're not that great. But I don't mean to seem bitter. It's just irritating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reification_(Marxism)
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

ThatGirl

Ugh, I am so sick of IQ being a politically incorrect topic.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Potential is important. Otherwise you may end up asking something from someone they honestly are not capable of.
    But everyone has the potential, just not to the same extent.

Put someone with an IQ of 90 coupled with a rich life filled with gaining knowledge, insights, experiences and wisdom and someone with an IQ of 140 but who has been sheltered from gaining anywhere near the same level of knowledge, insights, experiences and wisdom together and tell me truely who is the most intelligent of the two people?

Being capable of processing information a certain way that is perceived as above average, does not an intelligent person make. :P

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Ugh, I am so sick of IQ being a politically incorrect topic.
    It's not that its politically incorrect, it's that it doesn't have the weight to be able to carry descisions that are made. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I'm intelligent, I can keep up.. but I'm not very academic. Chances are, the type of person who are very interested in academia, and want to discuss the what all them old dudes thought about stuff might mistake me for being dumb even if the IQ is on par. My ex is pretty damned smart, but she has to Ti through everything.. it's tedious to me and I originally interpreted it as her being a bit slow.

A really good way to learn about yourself is to play games. I've gotten into being roped into playing various games of strategy over many years on a lunch hour. I come off a bit of a ditz in playstyle and people have a tendency to interpret it as being below par IQ-wise, but once my intuition starts clicking in I start kicking ass. It started that I was ripped for being a ditz, but it has turned into a running joke, because I win.

I'm curious how much differing thinking processes is mistaking for low intelligence. I wonder how many people can tell the difference without seeing an IQ test.

What is your IQ, ThatGirl?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

so what do you guys think of a person with a average iq with a strong desire and willingness to learn and understand? how would you treat that person with those desires to grow?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I read posts here and practically everyone has a near-genius or genius IQ. I highly doubt so many people have IQs that high. If 140+ is in the 99th percentile or something, then there are clearly a lot of bullshitters out there.

Having said that, however, My IQ (and I'm not bullshitting) is considered to be in the superior range, but the best job I could ever have is a truck driver or any job that allows Me freedom to maneuver (no pun intended) or otherwise be away from a boss.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by knight View Post
    so what do you guys think of a person with a average iq with a strong desire and willingness to learn and understand? how would you treat that person with those desires to grow?
    Like I said, more intelligent than a person with a high IQ that lacks that same motivation.

edit: Most people on this forum have high IQ's because the forum is dominated by intuitive people, and its intuitive people that have a huge leg up in scoring a high IQ.

Mine's pretty high as well apparantly, but I put no stock in IQ myself. There are more important things I want to keep myself busy with. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf