User Tag List

First 18262728293038 Last

Results 271 to 280 of 444

  1. #271
    Energizer Bunny Resonance's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    lulz, great minds, eh?
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

  2. #272
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwn86 View Post
    Rational thought is an illusion. Everyone has faith, it's just a matter of what they have faith in.
    What you say might be true in the the absolute sense, but that's unimportant to real life. In the context of the world we are able to perceive, events unfold according to rules which we are forever trying to discover. The better we understand those rules, the better we are able to predict events. The ability to predict, increases the likelihood of us achieving the outcome we desire.

    Rational thought help us discover those rules. Rigid adherence to established beliefs in spite of new evidence inhibits the advancement of knowledge. Faith presupposes truth. If you're wrong, you're screwed.

    There is no way that faith is better than rationality.

  3. #273
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
    ?
    I never have conversations like this in real life. This is how I interpret it:

    Statement1: Religion make some feel needlessly bad about certain things they do.

    Statement2 (amorality): The lack of religion can occasionally cause some to not feel bad about causing great suffering to others.

    Statement3: So can religion.

    Perhaps I was inferring the intent of the amorality comment incorrectly.

  4. #274
    Senior Member Lex Talionis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
    You realize this is a judgement loop, right? It's predicated on your own skepticism.
    No, it isn't. It is predicated upon my standards and his falling short thereof. What is a "judgment loop," anyway? Is it some warping of circular reasoning?

    Personally, I think there's a pretty crazy number of factors which will impact adult IQ, so although 'ambition' and 'genetics' may both have significant effects, there's so much more to it than that.
    Perhaps, but this is a matter of indifference to what I've stated.
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    —Bonaparte

  5. #275
    Senior Member Lex Talionis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
    Still circular.

    I'm not saying reason/logic/etc. isn't great - it is, and it's fun to boot. But why can't you see how reasoning that reasoning is objective is a logic knot?
    You have clearly failed to grasp the essential thought of my post. I have specifically stated that reason is "ultimately irrational." Nevertheless, if reason is set against a standard, then it becomes objective in exactly the same way that science does. You are arguing a triviality. I do not care to engage you in philosophical parlor games. Address what I've posted instead of merely objecting with "still circular."

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Lex Talionis your arguments are pretty shitty for such a supposedly smart person, MEH. Take a course on logic, or something.
    I could state the same. You have thus far failed to even articulate a sufficient argument for anything that you have asserted. My argument regarding reason was not much different from what JohnnyBoy has been expounding: that reason, while ultimately impossible to stipulate objectively, can in fact be objectively defined.

    Basically, this boils down to those of us who have any interest in developing a constructive theory versus those of us who are content with playing philosophical games and providing vapid injections.
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    —Bonaparte

  6. #276
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,644

    Default

    Guys, all is well - looks like we are all more or less on the same page. There seems to be less disagreement than lust for disagreement. Peace and love, man. Peace and love!

    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

  7. #277
    Senior Member Lex Talionis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
    Cool. Now get Lex to stop talking in absolutes about it and we'll have ourselves a resolution.
    What "absolutes"? I have basically argued that which you have now agreed with.
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    —Bonaparte

  8. #278
    Senior Member Lex Talionis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Guys, all is well - looks like we are all more or less on the same page. There seems to be less disagreement than lust for disagreement. Peace and love, man. Peace and love!

    Certain personality types are prone to needlessly diverting a topic or approaching it in a roundabout manner due to the fact that what they believe to be relevant insights and interpretations are in fact not so. Resonance is a prime example of this.
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    —Bonaparte

  9. #279
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,644

    Default

    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

  10. #280
    Senior Member Lex Talionis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
    Well, yes, that's the trouble, isn't it. Whereas atheism can be freeing and help one to cherish what one has in this life, but can also lead to nihilistic depression and, in rare cases, amorality.
    You have presented atheism as if it were a mere "alternative" to "faith"; as though selecting between the two is the same as selecting between Christianity and Islam. Atheism is a disbelief in the existence of deities: it demands proof and logical clarity. Atheists are therefore skeptics. Simply finding comfort in faith and other delusions does not make them truth, and if such delusions become truth to the individual, then we typically categorize such an individual as insane, but faith seems to have a special privilege in this regard.

    Nihilism, for example, rejects meaning, and it does so without a belief in disbelief, but through a skeptical critique of our values. It merely asserts that meaning is not an inherent property of the universe. This is a powerful position that one cannot logically refute. Its premise can only be circumvented by invoking a faith in "meaningfulness," which, by definition, eschews proof. Therefore, nihilism is the stronger of the two positions. Likewise, atheism is the stronger of the two with respect to faith in deities.
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    —Bonaparte

Similar Threads

  1. To which level of hell are you going?
    By Virtual ghost in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 145
    Last Post: 07-09-2017, 10:13 AM
  2. Is having a tendency to give someone the benefit of the doubt associated with F?
    By /DG/ in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-04-2015, 10:23 PM
  3. Do you need to sympathize with characters to enjoy them?
    By Ivy in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-07-2008, 03:28 AM
  4. [ENFJ] NT with Announcement to Share about ENFJ Friend :)
    By Usehername in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-24-2007, 03:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO