User Tag List

First 17252627282937 Last

Results 261 to 270 of 444

  1. #261
    Energizer Bunny Resonance's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Furthermore, since the logical steps to 'proving' that rationality is objective are 0 (it is in the definition) it isn't necessary to even apply rationality to the proof.
    If you define 'rationality' that way, then human minds are not capable of it.
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

  2. #262
    null Jonny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    FREE
    Posts
    2,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
    If you define 'rationality' that way, then human minds are not capable of it.
    Correct, humans are incapable of being absolutely rational by our very nature, and I believe this is the prevailing philosophical thought on this topic. However, for practical purposes it is useful to think of ideas and thoughts in terms of their relative rationality, and apply a degree of confidence to a particular conclusion in proportion to how close the argument supporting said conclusion is to the rational ideal. Since by its very definition pure reason/rationality is considered to be absolutely objective, we can be practically certain that it is in fact objective; to reject this notion is to reject a fundamental axiom of logic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  3. #263
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,390

    Default

    I tend to have more difficulty when communicating with low IQ individuals via a written medium than a spoken one.

  4. #264
    null Jonny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    FREE
    Posts
    2,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    I tend to have more difficulty when communicating with low IQ individuals via a written medium than a spoken one.
    I don't understand...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  5. #265
    Energizer Bunny Resonance's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Correct, humans are incapable of being absolutely rational by our very nature, and I believe this is the prevailing philosophical thought on this topic. However, for practical purposes it is useful to think of ideas and thoughts in terms of their relative rationality, and apply a degree of confidence to a particular conclusion in proportion to how close the argument supporting said conclusion is to the rational ideal. Since by its very definition pure reason/rationality is considered to be absolutely objective, we can be practically certain that it is in fact objective; to reject this notion is to reject a fundamental axiom of logic.
    Cool. Now get Lex to stop talking in absolutes about it and we'll have ourselves a resolution.
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

  6. #266
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
    Cool. Now get Lex to stop talking in absolutes about it and we'll have ourselves a resolution.
    You say you want a resolution? Well, you know...

  7. #267
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
    No, I'm saying that you basically repeated yourself.
    Then you are incorrect.

  8. #268
    Energizer Bunny Resonance's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Yes, it can be good for some. But for others, it imposes guilt and internal conflict.
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
    Well, yes, that's the trouble, isn't it. Whereas atheism can be freeing and help one to cherish what one has in this life, but can also lead to nihilistic depression and, in rare cases, amorality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    The same can be said for religion. The beliefs which can be used to promote social harmony can also be used to justify the worse acts of inhumanity imaginable. It depends on the person.
    ?
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

  9. #269
    null Jonny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    FREE
    Posts
    2,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Yes, [religion] can be good for some. But for others, it imposes guilt and internal conflict.
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
    Well, yes, that's the trouble, isn't it. Whereas atheism can be freeing and help one to cherish what one has in this life, but can also lead to nihilistic depression and, in rare cases, amorality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    The same can be said for religion. The beliefs which can be used to promote social harmony can also be used to justify the worse acts of inhumanity imaginable. It depends on the person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
    The same was just said for religion, actually.
    She isn't incorrect. Is there something I'm not getting here?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  10. #270
    null Jonny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    FREE
    Posts
    2,486

    Default

    lulz, great minds, eh?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Similar Threads

  1. To which level of hell are you going?
    By Virtual ghost in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 145
    Last Post: 07-09-2017, 10:13 AM
  2. Is having a tendency to give someone the benefit of the doubt associated with F?
    By /DG/ in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-04-2015, 10:23 PM
  3. Do you need to sympathize with characters to enjoy them?
    By Ivy in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-07-2008, 03:28 AM
  4. [ENFJ] NT with Announcement to Share about ENFJ Friend :)
    By Usehername in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-24-2007, 03:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO