User Tag List

First 10181920212230 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    Because they are more capable of finding suitable challenges.
    Then again, are you referring to a type of boredom other than a lack of interest in their surroundings - perhaps a lack of comfort in their surroundings instead?
    I don't really know, actually. This is probably partly why I don't understand them.

A window to the soul

Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by jwn86 View Post
    Just as there is a difference between those who express satisfaction in life and those who have it, I was not so quick to rule out spiritual fulfillment like my friends. I've found that those are actually smart enough to accept that they don't have an answer to fill the emptiness and turn to God usually find what they're looking for. It is to accept the paradox that there is only one truth, but it is outside of me, God is true and only through belief and agreement with God will I have truth. This has a lot more to do with the heart, pride, ego, etc. than with intelligence, though. Sometimes the most intelligent people are also the most prone to the inability to accept such a notion
    Fact: Galileo, Newton, and Einstein deduced there is a God.

Quote Originally Posted by jwn86 View Post
    We're inclined to think of genius in very narrow-minded applications like mathematics despite the fact that Michelangelo was never considered a genius, yet the statue of David is 100% physiologically accurate. It is this accurate reflection of what is which I consider to be intelligent, and when we see it this way, intelligence is not really much of a quality but an awareness of creation as is.
    Fact: Michelangelo was absolutely considered a genius of his time. He was one of the most important painters, architects, and engineers from the Italian Renaissance. Also, he was a well respected mathematician.

With that said, I'm proposing minor tweaks to your theory.-standing ovations-

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    I thought Einstein deduced that there was a causal relationship with the world that he then decided to call that design god. Am I mistaken? Cause there's a big difference between accepting that there is more to this than your ego and letting go to some extent and believing in God. Believing in God means asserting an entity for worship; being in awe of the logical process or design of this world and your paradoxical existence in it is to let go of the ego and attain spirituality.

Or something like that - spirituality is different than worship. I'm pretty sure Einstein was spiritual. Correct me if I'm wrong.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    I thought Einstein deduced that there was a causal relationship with the world that he then decided to call that design god. Am I mistaken? Cause there's a big difference between accepting that there is more to this than your ego and letting go to some extent and believing in God. Believing in God means asserting an entity for worship; being in awe of the logical process or design of this world and your paradoxical existence in it is to let go of the ego and attain spirituality.

Or something like that - spirituality is different than worship. I'm pretty sure Einstein was spiritual. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Lettin go of your ego ? That could explain why I am hazardous to religion
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

A window to the soul

Einstein once said, "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." To put that in the proper context, Einstein did not believe in the Christian God, nor did he have a relationship with God. He believed in a platonic God or God "the creator." However, Galileo and Newton did believe in the personal Christian God, if that gives you some peace of mind about my initial point that some of the most brilliant minds believed in God. Letting go of our ego is a conscious effort isn't it? We choose to go from platonic to personal to become fully integrated and whole.

It sounds like you are making the distinction between a relationship with a personal God/Jesus (psyche) vs. a platonic God the creator (ego), is that correct? I don't dispute that. Keep in mind though, I'm speaking very high level here; I'm talking step one, believing God exists. Step two is opening ourselves up to the psyche to form communication/relationship with God. (As in going from head knowledge to heart knowledge.) Einstein took the first step. Again, Galileo and Newton went beyond that.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
    I think he's legit

and dissing you, lex, kind of :p not in the active sense but he doesn't think much of you

not that you've given him any reason for otherwise
    What do you mean by "doesn't think much of you"? Why should this matter? I find that individuals such as him do not think much about anything.

I simply find it difficult to believe that an individual who displays absolutely no remarkable signs of intellect would fall under the category "genius" (a term I would distance from IQ, as it traditionally describes ability, not performing well on a standardized test). There is a particular "dullness" to his explanations that I do not find consistent with highly developed intelligence.
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    —Bonaparte

MBTI
    FREE

How are we defining God here?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    FREE

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Talionis View Post
    What do you mean by "doesn't think much of you"? Why should this matter? I find that individuals such as him do not think much about anything.

I simply find it difficult to believe that an individual who displays absolutely no remarkable signs of intellect would fall under the category "genius" (a term I would distance from IQ, as it traditionally describes ability, not performing well on a standardized test). There is a particular "dullness" to his explanations that I do not find consistent with highly developed intelligence.
    Understand that we are using the term genius to refer to those individuals who score 164+ on an IQ test, per my OP; this is the only reason why the term is being used. Whether or not everyone who scores 164+ on an IQ test would be inclined to spend much time giving what you deem to be acceptable answers to the questions of strangers is another story.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Talionis View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily go so far as to assert that it is high IQ which results in alienation, but rather introversion.
    I agree that that's closer to the truth.

MBTI
    INTJ

Einstein once said, "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." To put that in the proper context, Einstein did not believe in the Christian God, nor did he have a relationship with God. He believed in a platonic God or God "the creator." However, Galileo and Newton did believe in the personal Christian God, if that gives you some peace of mind about my initial point that some of the most brilliant minds believed in God. Letting go of our ego is a conscious effort isn't it? We choose to go from platonic to personal to become fully integrated and whole.

It sounds like you are making the distinction between a relationship with a personal God/Jesus (psyche) vs. a platonic God the creator (ego), is that correct? I don't dispute that. Keep in mind though, I'm speaking very high level here; I'm talking step one, believing God exists. Step two is opening ourselves up to the psyche to form communication/relationship with God. (As in going from head knowledge to heart knowledge.) Einstein took the first step. Again, Galileo and Newton went beyond that.

One of Einstein's most eagerly quoted remarks is 'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.' But Einstein also said,
    It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed this clearly. If something is in me that can be called religious then it is unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.
    {snip}

Here are some more quotations from Einstein, to give a flavour of Einsteinian religion.
    I am a deeply religious nonbeliever. This is a somewhat new kind of religion.

I have never imputed to Nature a purpose or a goal or anything that could be understood as anthropomorphic. What I see in Nature is a magnificent structure that we can comprehend only very imperfectly, and that must fill a thinking person with a feeling of humility. This is a genuinely religious feeling that has nothing to do with mysticism.
    The idea of a personal God is alien to me and seems even naive.
    {snip}

Let me sum up Einsteinian religion in one more quotation from Einstein himself:'To sense that behind anything that can be experienced there is something our mind cannot grasp and whose beauty and sublimity reaches us only only indirectly and as a feeble reflection, this is religiousness. In this sense I am religious.' In this sense I too am religious, with the reservation that 'cannot grasp' does not have to mean 'forever ungraspable.' But I prefer not to call myself religious because it is misleading. It is destructively misleading because, for the majority of people, 'religion' implies 'supernatural'. Carl Sagan put it well: '...if by "God" one means the physical set of laws that govern the universe, then clearly there is such a God. This God is emotionally unsatisfying...it does not make much sense to pray to the law of gravity.'
    Source: Dawkins, Richard. The God Delusion, pp.36-41.

Einstein was a pantheist.
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    —Bonaparte