User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Then you should take your head out of your ass.

With the entirety of my love; you left yourself wide open for that.
    Get your "entire love" away from my open ass.

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Thanks for your contribution LeftKick. In your case, when compared to your peers, your IQ perhaps provides you with a better 'well-roundedness' and places upon you the burden of solving more difficult problems. Do you find yourself to be a substantively different person than those coworkers whom you perceive as less mentally gifted?
    I don't always see it as a gift. I over complicate things,and set personal boundaries for myself based on what I perceive as possible. (ISTP- there ya go). In that way I'm different. I also get the glazed over eye look from people sometimes. "Hey, did you watch the documentary on String Theory last night on Nova?" or "I'm looking up charts on suspension spring rates based on wire diameter,coil circumference and number to reduce understeer with more camber." isn't what people use for small talk on a regular basis. It is isolating as CrystalViolet mentioned. Anyone else get "Why do you know that?" comments?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Smile! Now!

Some people are like Slinkys.
    Useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

We are the music makers,and we are the dreamers of the dreams.

End of line.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I smell something funny.
    I was thinking of describing the smell in a different manner.

MBTI
    FREE

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I was thinking of describing the smell in a different manner.
    I assure you no odor was intended, funny or otherwise.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

what is the point of this thread? it seems more like the type that one would expect to see on intpc... but that isn't going to work <- possibly maniacal cackles, but only possibly... I've been eating icing and it's DELICIOUS!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    FREE

Well, bionic mentioned that IQs below a certain level would be unacceptable in a mate. Evidence seems to suggest that a person with an IQ below that level would be capable of intellectual discourse, success in intellectual pursuits, etc. So I was curious about whether there are substantive differences between two individuals with high but different IQs (140 and 160 for instance). IQ is simply a numerical result of a series of problems on an examination, and is only useful insofar as there are other things about a person which might be correlated with such a result. It is apparent that going from an IQ of 90 to 120 would produce substantial and obvious differences, but would a jump from 120 to 150 produce the same (or, if we consider percent increase: 120 to 160) degree of difference? Are those of us with lower IQs incapable of comprehending the ways in which a genius thinks?

I did not intend for this thread to be a pat yourself on the back, feel better than / superior to others fest. I'm genuinely curious about what types of things might be related to having a high IQ.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

In our family of 7, 5 are in the superior to above (sb tested) categories. One of my brothers is in the near genius/genius level, a natural with math, natural sciences and tech. He's also the one with the most social difficulties and is the most isolated. He cannot function in the real world alone so he lives with my parents.

What it's done is to make it easy to attain goals within career paths. What it hasn't done is make anyone any happier than others. The one with the most functional relationship is one of the two who falls in the above-average category. On the otherhand, the other one in the above-average category is in the most dysfunctional relationship.

IMO, what this means is that setting minimal arbitrary numbers for partners won't necessarily gain relationship happiness. It's no different than choosing only to date men or women who fall in the physical 10 category.

People are multi-faceted concepts. Laundry lists fragment these concepts where focus is steered away from meaningfulness, instead targeting the trivial.

Having said that, people's dating preferences are their own. It's their choice whereby they're also the ones who have to live with their choices and as long as there's no whining, it's all good. The minute they start whining about how few "good men" or "good women" are around, after they've reduced their dating pool to 1% of Earth's population, I lose all sympathy and tolerance.

ThatGirl

I think it would be hard to have meaningful conversations and mutual understanding in a relationship with someone under 120 (ball park). My ex was an idiot, and I felt as though I may as well have been alone the whole time. I prefer men over 140 not because I am genius, I am just complex/odd, and they have a good way of sorting it out without taking me the wrong way.

MBTI
    FREE

So, might it be possible that, with some individuals, sacrifices are made in other cognitive functions to allow for the higher test score? Losing the ability to understand the complex nuances of social interaction in exchange for quickly recognizing subtle patters, for instance; akin to being an idiot savant, but not as extreme.

I suppose there would be two things which might vary: overal cognitive capacity and allocation of those resources. One individual might have a higher cognitive capacity but a lower IQ than another person, simply because his or her resources are allocated in a more well-rounded way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]