User Tag List

First 9171819202129 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I meant people with a higher IQ and only people with a higher IQ. I am not touching the word intelligent.
    Ah yes, thank you. Inserting the word "higher" after IQ answers the question for me then.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    It seems to me that the IQ doesn't really measure a capacity for critical thinking or a lack of cognitive bias. IQ does however reflect that a person has cognitive skills which would make them much better at defending a false premise, and possibly create a sense of certainty in their own argument.
    You mean like robots?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    You mean like robots?
    That's really a whole different ballgame. A computer is presumably more lacking in cognitive bias than any human being. It also doesn't handle most of the kinds of thoughts or issues the human mind addresses every day (yet), so the absence or presence of cognitive bias is moot.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

I would imagine that the biggest challenge for a genius would be boredom. They're intellect and ego just grows and grows and eventually nothing interests them.
    Really? I'm not convinced you've been friends with many certified geniuses.

Social isolation may certainly be a problem but boredom is not. I don't believe a genius is any more likely to suffer from boredom than you or I. The fact is that a greater intellect provides greater possibilities, both humbling and rewarding. The fact is that there is a limitless amount of things to do and discover. We all face the same questions of identity and existence. Is one grain of sand likely to become fed up with life because they happen to be larger than most other grains of sand?

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    Really? I'm not convinced you've been friends with many certified geniuses.

Social isolation may certainly be a problem but boredom is not. I don't believe a genius is any more likely to suffer from boredom than you or I. The fact is that a greater intellect provides greater possibilities, both humbling and rewarding. The fact is that there is a limitless amount of things to do and discover. We all face the same questions of identity and existence. Is one grain of sand likely to become fed up with life because they happen to be larger than most other grains of sand?
    If that's true (and it could be) then how do you explain all these really smart people who say nothing ever fulfills them? which like LL touched on was something William Sedis also suffered from.

And, no, I haven't seen certified tests for anyone.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

If that's true (and it could be) then how do you explain all these really smart people who say nothing ever fulfills them?
    Same as ordinary people for whom nothing fulfills them: unrealistic expectations, human failings, and bad childhoods.
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

If that's true (and it could be) then how do you explain all these really smart people who say nothing ever fulfills them? which like LL touched on was something William Sedis also suffered from.
    Various biases such as confirmation bias - once we have a hypothesis in mind, we pay attention to confirming observations and ignore equivocal observations.

There are plenty of extremely intelligent people whom you've never heard of because they're quite content going about their daily business.
    In addition to the points mentioned above, the lack of fulfilment might not be due to lack of intellectual fulfilment, but rather lack of emotional fulfilment due to having few peers who fully relate to them. This doesn't necessarily have anything to do with inflated ego by the way.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
    Same as ordinary people for whom nothing fulfills them: unrealistic expectations, human failings, and bad childhoods.
    Sure but wouldn't a genius be even more prone to suffer from this, or perhaps it would feel more intense because they want people to live up to the same expectations they have for themselves?

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Sure but wouldn't a genius be even more prone to suffer from this, or perhaps it would feel more intense because they want people to live up to the same expectations they have for themselves?
    Yes, and then it's not boredom.
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
    Yes, and then it's not boredom.
    Why not?

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Why not?
    Because they are more capable of finding suitable challenges.
    Then again, are you referring to a type of boredom other than finding the world uninteresting - perhaps a lack of comfort in their surroundings instead?