User Tag List

First 8161718192028 Last

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
    I think he's legit

and dissing you, lex, kind of :p not in the active sense but he doesn't think much of you

not that you've given him any reason for otherwise
    I wasn't dissing Lex. He could have very good reason for suspicion, I just don't understand it myself. It could be I'm like a guy going into 7-11 at 3 a.m. with a ski mask just because I'm cold. lol. Actually I'm sure a lot of people probably claim to be higher IQ than they are. It's not that I don't get that, it's just that I don't really understand why we place such high value on only one type of aptitude when people exhibit so many valuable abilities... that's part of my perspective on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Talionis View Post
    Your motivation is unimportant. Amusement is motivation enough for most trolls.

In any case, what is your recorded IQ? What test(s)? How did you manage to acquire an engineering job at such an age and with no credentials? Which field of engineering?
    See... amusement is motivation enough. Probably true, hey!

So I just found out I totally didn't even come up with this idea I'm talking about. LOL!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_..._intelligences

I'm gonna make a new thread.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by jwn86 View Post
    I wasn't dissing Lex.
    Not on purpose, I'm sure. Nonetheless, I believe he takes your mere existence as an affront :p That's the sort of argument this is.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwn86 View Post
    So I just found out I totally didn't even come up with this idea I'm talking about. LOL!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_..._intelligences
    Gardner's isn't exactly widely respected, although a lot of people use it to make people feel better about themselves (hey, kind of like MBTI!)

You know something's wrong when close to half the article consists of (valid) criticisms :/
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I would imagine that the biggest challenge for a genius would be boredom. Their intellect and ego just grows and grows and eventually nothing interests them.

I find them very interesting (most of the time provided I can understand them) but I would also hate to live such a life.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

As I see it, IQ should be high enough to function in the real world, and low enough to function in the real world.

I used to want to be like William Sidis, who was a brilliant genius with languages AND math/science. He arguably had the highest IQ ever. I always thought, "If only I were...." until I realized he had no social life and wasn't attracted to any human beings whatsoever. And how can you if you function on a much higher wavelength than everyone else? He probably makes the smartest person here look like a dumb ass. I cannot even begin to comprehend how such a mind works. That's something that would simultaneously fascinate me and boggle my mind.

Nowadays, I'm mature enough to realize that maybe having a high IQ isn't all that matters. Of course I want a partner who challenges me, so it behooves me to get a partner who is either of above-average or higher intellect and pushes me mentally or who is a bit lower or the same as me, but in completely different fields to expand and broaden my view of the world. That's enough. And at the end of the day, if you have a 200 IQ but cannot function or communicate or contribute, then what's the point?
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    As I see it, IQ should be high enough to function in the real world, and low enough to function in the real world.

I used to want to be like William Sidis, who was a brilliant genius with languages AND math/science. He arguably had the highest IQ ever. I always thought, "If only I were...." until I realized he had no social life and wasn't attracted to any human beings whatsoever. And how can you if you function on a much higher wavelength than everyone else? He probably makes the smartest person here look like a dumb ass. I cannot even begin to comprehend how such a mind works. That's something that would simultaneously fascinate me and boggle my mind.

Nowadays, I'm mature enough to realize that maybe having a high IQ isn't all that matters. Of course I want a partner who challenges me, so it behooves me to get a partner who is either of above-average or higher intellect and pushes me mentally or who is a bit lower or the same as me, but in completely different fields to expand and broaden my view of the world. That's enough. And at the end of the day, if you have a 200 IQ but cannot function or communicate or contribute, then what's the point?
    Well said, LL.

I supposes we all have our struggles and pitfalls, which I guess was the point of the OP regarding geniuses.

If I were a genius *imagination taking over here* I'd accept that I had flaws and totally want to be around people whose strengths were the complete opposite of mine so that I could grow (provided those people welcomed me). I would throw out the urge to be disgusted and annoyed by them due to our differences, and try to learn from them instead because everyone has gifts to offer and obviously their strength is my weakness. This is what I imagine if I were a genius though and had a humongous ego and appetite for newness. lol

But I guess, after a while, even that'd get boring... so I dunno.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Is it not true that IQ correlates with belief in conspiracy theories and the paranormal? I remember something to that effect, but have lost track of whether or not that was a legitimate assessment.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Is it not true that IQ correlates with belief in conspiracy theories and the paranormal? I remember something to that effect, but have lost track of whether or not that was a legitimate assessment.
    I wonder why that would be. Sounds almost counter-intuitive...
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Do you mean the more intelligent a person is the more they believe in conspiracy theories and the paranormal?

The only thing I've noticed is that the more intelligent a person is, the more they think everyone is out to get them.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

IQ correlates with openness, which would be a more intuitive explanation of the conspiracy theory thing.

I mean, most IQ tests are basically asking you to connect the dots and see patterns in an increasingly obtuse way, which is what most conspiracy theorists also ask you to do.
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    I wonder why that would be. Sounds almost counter-intuitive...
    It seems to me that the IQ doesn't really measure a capacity for critical thinking or a lack of cognitive bias. IQ does however reflect that a person has cognitive skills which would make them much better at defending a false premise, and possibly create a sense of certainty in their own argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Do you mean the more intelligent a person is the more they believe in conspiracy theories and the paranormal?

The only thing I've noticed is that the more intelligent a person is, the more they think everyone is out to get them.
    I meant people with a higher IQ and only people with a higher IQ. I am not touching the word intelligent.
    Go to sleep, iguana.