User Tag List

First 4121314151624 Last

Smile The Normal and the Gifted

Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
    I don't know if "over-excitable" is the term used in the field
    In the field of the gifted there are two indicators - very high IQ and over-excitability.

But what is interesting is that 'over-excitability' is pejorative. So 'over-excitability' is a negative term used by the normal to describe the gifted.

So why should the normal diss the gifted?

It is because the normal feel inferior to the gifted.

Smile Water and Molasses

The gifted flow together like water.

In other words, high excitability calls to high excitability.

Unfortunately the normal find high excitability to be unpleasant and so reject the gifted.

And the gifted find talking with the normal to be like wadding through molasses.

I don't mind a highly intelligent SO, no matter what IQ that translates into. I like the potential for being shown things that otherwise I could have missed.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    I like the potential for being shown things that otherwise I could have missed.
    But what if you keep missing them all the time. Surely this becomes tiresome.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by LeftKick View Post
    Ding fries are done.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    While I personally like challenges that could be an indication of interests or overall mindset mismatch (IQ gap induced or otherwise) which could condition the relationship developing altogether. Whether or not it could be workable only real life scenarios can tell.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    How would you know you missed them?
    Oh, its
    You

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

As I went through the thread it seemed like the reason people want to date intelligent people is that they feel they will be more likely to have intelligent discussions with them. I can see something like this in myself, but I don't think it is IQ really that is the most important factor here. If I want to talk about some complex ideas with people, it isn't their IQ that comes in the way, usually. Most of the time they are just not interested in the same things. I get the feeling that they easily could understand it, but they just don't want to pay attention. And if someone is really smart, I would assume that they also could translate the idea into something that can be understood by the "less smart" person. So, to me it seems like this: The intelligent person is not willing to step out of his language to accommodate the other, and the other person isn't interested in matters we call "intelligent".

I'm not saying this isn't important. I am saying this is a communication problem much like the usual F vs T discussions here. As for myself, I prefer the company of intuitives, because they just seem to have more of a same area of interest with me. It is more likely I will have something to talk with them. It's like, if you enjoy sports, you shouldn't date a fat slob.

Quote Originally Posted by Idris View Post
    How would you know you missed them?
    Their eyes glaze over.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
    I'm in the process of reading a book on ADD (my dad has borrowed it for tonight) which indicates that such hypersensitivity is A) genetic, B) most common in children with ADD, and therefore C) a likely contributing factor to the development of ADD.* I also have a bunch of vague recollections of relevant studies in similar threads across various fora.

I don't know if "over-excitable" is the term used in the field, but "excitation" in the neural sense is, and "over-" is a rather general-purpose superlative.
    This "hypersensitivity" that you are describing, then, cannot be associated with ADHD. The former is a heightened sensitivity to stimuli, whereas the latter is an inability to concentrate attention.

I would describe the truly intelligent individuals whose research I follow and the very few whom I have met (all professors or other academics) as introverted rationals. I do not dispute that neurological sensitivity may contribute to their intelligence, but that this sensitivity results in behavior that is unlike that exhibited by individuals diagnosed with ADHD. There may be an underlying connection between the two, but there is also quite clearly a disconnect.

In any case, I have read articles which asserted that gifted individuals often express traits associated with ADHD, but that one does not imply the other.

Basically, yes. Here's a quick and dirty source to demonstrate that introverts are more easily stimulated:
    http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/psp/46/6/1303/
    There are many more studies which you can find with Google Scholar which examine this neurological basis for the trait.
    I find this to be entirely credible, but nothing new. Defining "excitability" in this manner is basically positing that individuals with higher intelligence possess more vigorous brains than those with lower intelligence. Nevertheless, this study targets introverts versus extroverts; it does not consider IQ. It is, in my mind, likely that the introverted group possessed a greater average intelligence, but I do not care to follow this conjectural train of thought.

This neurological hypersensitivity is something that would be affirmed by my own experience. I have always been "sensitive" to external stimuli—especially so as a child. Loud noises, bright lights, sharp odors, etc., have always seemed to impress upon me more than most others.

I suppose it would be any field where a person has bothered to develop their knowledge and skill, although aptitudes would naturally be paramount to this since an intelligent person can develop their knowledge and skill much more quickly and easily. The point being an INTJ and an ISTP are likely to have different types of interests, but if equally intelligent can rival the other if these interests happen to coincide.
    I disagree, but I do not care to argue this point at the moment.

Personality is clearly a component of intellectual performance. If this were not so, then we could expect to find that IQ is distributed randomly amongst type, but we know this not to be the case.
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    —Bonaparte