User Tag List

First 8910111220 Last

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Talionis View Post
    Evidence?

Granted, I have come across my share of hyperactive nerds, but they have been the exception to the rule. I figured that they were simply the results of poor parenting, ADHD, or neurosis. Most of the truly gifted individuals that I have come across in life (professors) are rational introverts. A far cry from being "over-excitable." That strikes me as the type of nonsense one would encounter when watching one of those silly documentaries about "gifted" children.
    It would not be obvious as a fully mature adult; if they developed normally, their executive functions would allow them to get a greater hold on their emotions. "Over-excitable" as a global neural characteristic (which is what InvisibleJim is talking about, not some kind of vague personality description) would indicate that any given neuron is more likely to fire, which would result in considerably quicker learning and more frequent creativity at the expense of easy self-control and stimulation tolerance. As far as I know, introverts are known to have a lower threshold for overstimulation, so there's that.

You are conflating acquired skills with intelligence. Area of "expertise" does not interest me.
    Then what does type have to do with it, at all?
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Over-excitability needn't to be noticeable from the outside; indeed an over-excitable individual might come across as more restrained, because his mental resources are fully concentrated towards filtering all the information he naturally tends to process.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    I care what you've done, what you can do, how driven to succeed you are.
    So you've effectively just replaced one measuring contest with another?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    As I said to Jonnyboy, there is a reason I'm not flaunting my qualifications; because I can easily trump others, but that would stifle debate and even I might learn something new from the thread.
    By all means, what are your "qualifications"? If you can "trump" others, then do so; there is no need for redundant debate.
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    —Bonaparte

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
    It would not be obvious as a fully mature adult; if they developed normally, their executive functions would allow them to get a greater hold on their emotions. "Over-excitable" as a global neural characteristic (which is what InvisibleJim is talking about, not some kind of vague personality description) would indicate that any given neuron is more likely to fire, which would result in considerably quicker learning and more frequent creativity at the expense of easy self-control and stimulation tolerance.
    What is your source(s) pertaining to this elusive term?

As far as I know, introverts are known to have a lower threshold for overstimulation, so there's that.
    As in, they are more likely to be "over-excitable"?

Then what does type have to do with it, at all?
    Define "area of expertise."
    —Bonaparte

Banned

By all means, what are your "qualifications"? If you can "trump" others, then do so; there is no need for redundant debate.
    That's not the point of debate. I'm not here to be 'right' I'm here to investigate what other people think. No-one has a monopoly on wisdom.

MBTI
    INTJ

That's not the point of debate. I'm not here to be 'right' I'm here to investigate what other people think. No-one has a monopoly on wisdom.
    I do.
    —Bonaparte

Banned

I do.
    Prove it. I'm happy to review the conclusions.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

What is your source(s) pertaining to this elusive term?
    I'm in the process of reading a book on ADD (my dad has borrowed it for tonight) which indicates that such hypersensitivity is A) genetic, B) most common in children with ADD, and therefore C) a likely contributing factor to the development of ADD.* I also have a bunch of vague recollections of relevant studies in similar threads across various fora.

I don't know if "over-excitable" is the term used in the field, but "excitation" in the neural sense is, and "over-" is a rather general-purpose superlative.

As in, they are more likely to be "over-excitable"?
    Basically, yes. Here's a quick and dirty source to demonstrate that introverts are more easily stimulated:
    http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/psp/46/6/1303/
    There are many more studies which you can find with Google Scholar which examine this neurological basis for the trait.

Define "area of expertise."
    I suppose it would be any field where a person has bothered to develop their knowledge and skill, although aptitudes would naturally be paramount to this since an intelligent person can develop their knowledge and skill much more quickly and easily. The point being an INTJ and an ISTP are likely to have different types of interests, but if equally intelligent can rival the other if these interests happen to coincide.

* Certain other sub-optimal infanthood conditions (insecure parental attachment) also correlate almost one-to-one (close enough that the difference could be in reporting error), so the theory goes that hypersensitivity to anxiety causes insecurely attached children more stress than normal and stunts the growth of brain areas related to emotional regulation - including arousal levels, hence the attention problems. For the record, insecure attachment is not caused by 'poor parenting' but 'parenting under stress' - simply put, infants mirror their parents' anxiety and therefore can't feel safe with them.
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Yes, no and good lord if I said that I would get stones thrown at me from all angles.
    I'm not necessairly talking IQ in the strictest sense but it's hardly going to be enjoyable if you have to stop and explain every word you use, let alone basic concepts. Stone me if you will, but my experiences are what they are, and I don't see what is so wrong with desiring a relationship where good conversation is just as vauled as sex. It's not like I ask every guy I meet what thier IQ is, but neither am I going to struggle through a relationship with some one who has little understanding of my day to day thoughts,and experiences. If that's intellectual snobbery, you get to cast the first stone.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]