User Tag List

First 234

Thread: WalletTest.com

MBTI
    FREE

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    What I find annoying about the site was the righteous, passive aggressive, manipulative undertones. People who failed to return the wallet were automatically labelled "dishonest". Notice how often they repeated that chant. That is plain stupid. There could have been many reason why some didn't bother to return it.

They also appear to specifically single out blacks. I wonder if they have a hidden agenda.
    I strongly disagree with your judgment. Although I cannot be certain of this individual's motivations, I am inclined to err on the side of caution and give the guy the benefit of my doubts. From my understanding, the guy who performed this informal social experiment came across a similar pseudo-experiment wherein only 15 wallets were dropped, and decided to expand upon that model.

Because the wallet had almost no value, there was no motivation to "steal" it. I also assume it had no items valuable only to the owner, such as ID cards, etc. The stunt is more a measure of how the strictly person follow social rules or how empathic they are to the minor plight of strangers or how much free time they have on their hands. It is not a valid test for honesty.
    I agree with you for the most part. While he labels each person as honest or dishonest, there are other factors at play which are perhaps stronger than a person's penchant for honest behavior. You do assume correctly about the contents of the wallet (although I would recommend doing a little information gathering before making such assumptions in the future), and I'm of the opinion that having a license and credit cards in the wallet would make the experiment more meaningful. It might be fun to attempt the same experiment, but with a more representative and larger sample.

...Here is a list of what was inside each of the 100 wallets:

1) One Wallet - (I searched the internet and found the cheapest wallets available. They only cost about $0.35 each if you buy twelve or more at a time. Considering the price they are really good wallets. There is a zipper at the top, little compartments for your credit cards and a small window to put an ID or a driver's licence. There is even a little mirror too.)

2) One ID Card - (Each wallet had an ID card inside its transparent window that could clearly be seen by anyone looking inside. It shows my name "Paul Kinsella" followed by my home address and phone number*. At the bottom of each ID card I wrote the word "LOT" followed by the wallet's unique number. For example, the wallet in the photo above is wallet #98 - so the ID is marked with "LOT-098".)
    *My address and phone number are blurred out in the photo above, but were legible in real life. - Duh.

3) Two One-Dollar Bills - (Ideally I would have liked to have put at least $10 into each wallet, but I was working on a budget.)

4) Ten Pennies

5) One Fake $50.00 Gift Certificate - (These were added to makeup for the lack of cash. Each gift certificate was marked with a unique number written in the upper right-hand corner. For example, the gift certificate in wallet #98 had "GC098" written on it. Each gift certificate had the following message written on it: "This certificate can be exchanged for N.A.C.S. services or can be redeemed for cash by calling..." The number given is to a fake phone line I had added to my home. The idea was to trick dishonest people into calling and trying to redeem the fake gift certificates. Of the 100 wallets I dropped - 26 were stolen. Of those 26 - there were only 3 instances of people trying to redeem the stolen gift certificates. Click HERE to hear those recorded phone conversations.)

6) One Fake Grocery List - (I added these to help make the wallets seem more real. They were all the same and were crumpled up to give them a 'used' look.)

7) One Fake Receipt - (They are photo-copies of a real gas station receipt with some of the numbers changed slightly. This was added to the wallets for the same reason as the fake grocery list - to add some realism. They were all the same and were crumpled up to give them a 'used' look.)

8) One Broken Tooth Pick - (Just a bit of miscellaneous trash to give the wallets a 'lived-in' feel.)

9) Pinch of Dirt - (Added to make the wallets look a little older.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Maybe I'm cynical, but I believe the fact that only $2.10 was in each wallet makes the survey worthless. Put $100 in there and then see what happens.
    totally agree...i mean if it were full of credit cards and drivers license and any other thing that looked important. i would return it with zero cash in it but if was pretty much empty except a couple bucks i might just not bother...not because i wanted the money but because i didn't think it would be missed...i'd be more likely to just leave it where i found it then take it tho.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

the only conclusion i've drawn from this is that old white people have the most time on their hands. why would you return a wallet with a fake id and 2 bucks?

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Maybe I'm cynical, but I believe the fact that only $2.10 was in each wallet makes the survey worthless. Put $100 in there and then see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    ^ Depends if they gave it back without looking or not, if they looked then I agree.
    Someone could just be curious to see how much is in there. It may or may not affect their decision to keep or return it.

What I find annoying about the site was the righteous, passive aggressive, manipulative undertones. People who failed to return the wallet were automatically labelled "dishonest". Notice how often they repeated that chant. That is plain stupid. There could have been many reason why some didn't bother to return it.
    Yes. Some people have good intentions to return it but are too lazy to do so. Others don't bother because they don't think anyone would miss $2.10. Some don't know who or where to return it to so they just leave it there.

They also appear to specifically single out blacks. I wonder if they have a hidden agenda.
    I'm hoping I'm not sounding racist here but in a way I'm not surprised that the blacks in this study were found to be more dishonest. In the United States, blacks are statistically more likely to be very poor. While this doesn't necessarily mean they are more likely to steal, I think living your life very poor and poverty stricken might lead to the attitude that "society has cheated me so I've no qualms about cheating you."
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

The wallet was worthless, it may as well have been a wallet that had been disposed of after a mugging. I wouldn't have bothered returing it.

If the wallet had credit cards and cash, I probably would return it (after stealing the cash).

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    In the United States, blacks are statistically more likely to be very poor. While this doesn't necessarily mean they are more likely to steal, I think living your life very poor and poverty stricken might lead to the attitude that "society has cheated me so I've no qualms about cheating you."
    Exactly. Even if this was a valid test for honesty, it is blatantly obvious that the poorer groups will be more likely to behave in a way that will allow him to self righteously point a finger at them.

MBTI
    FREE

I guess the moral of the story is to never trust a poor person.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]