User Tag List

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Default The drunk at the last stool of the bar?

I once posted a thread about whether I should start a blog or not (I didn't) and I was told that one should create a blog with an audience in mind, or you'll be the online equivalent of the drunk at the last stool of the bar.

Is this true though?

Several questions were posed:
    Do you read other people's blogs?
    How do you find them?
    I do you weed out the crap?
    How do you build an audience?
    And finally: Is that the goal?

If we are not intending our blog to have an audience, then it should instead be a private journal.

Several years ago, Bill Gates said he had not yet created a blog because he was unsure as to whether it would be worth reading.

"If you build it, they will come" is not always true in Real Life™ and rarely true on the internet.

There is of course a choice between a standalone blog and a forum blog. Standalone blogs are more oriented towards those who fancy themselves artists, or journalists who have interesting things to say about external events and developments.

On the other hand, there are also personal blogs where people discuss their boring lives (sorry, I'm projecting my own uneventful life onto others).

I am curious as to what the motivations are to posting a personal blog on a forum like this?
    Is it for the peer support?
    Does having a blog where you discuss your life make you more 'real' to others in a community like this one?
    Are those who regularly post in such blogs more popular than those who don't?
    What does this imply about those who choose not to make a blog, either in a forum community or elsewhere?

For those with blogs, what are your concerns in terms of privacy, anonymity etc? This question also goes for those who post pictures of themselves online that could be traceable back to them personally.

Would you like to know more about the drunk at the last stool of the bar?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Well if nobody is intrested in the drunk at the last stool at the bar, who is usually me, why should I start a blog then ?

People can come and read my stuff if they like or stay away cause I wont bend myself to entertain their needs.

I'd like to read more from the drunk at the last stool of the bar. Btw did you know that stool means shit in russia ?
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Actually, I was thinking shit as I clicked the thread title. And who can't get enough of stools? Bloody stools, big stools, long stool, toilet stools? I say, sit down and enjoy your stay.

Whether in a bar, in a bathroom, or in a forum, opening your mouth to say something personable, wise or unique is going to make you more real. In the case of the bathroom it might make you real awkward, but real nonetheless.

When overlooking the many blogs on this site, I've noted the same presumptions assumed by your leading question. More often than not, these people are popular. Are they liked? They are engrossed in the community, and took an extra step in become more apart of the dialogue. Its like the guy in AAA meetings who raises his hand instead of waiting to be called on. What does he say?

Who gives a shit.

Maybe its a joke to lighten the mood, or a strange story about waking up with a monkey, face tattoos and being losing a friend for the 2nd time but in Bangkok. Yeah, everyone probably knows where your personal blog stories are going. And yeah, you are milking the happenings for all its worth (peer support), but what's wrong about that? Probably plenty. Meh.

By the way I do have a (standalone?) blog. I won't shamelessly plug it, as I did in an English 120 research paper (and got an A for), but I will say I had an audience in mind when I created it. There are certain people I just don't want to appeal to. I don't want them to get it. But that's no different than speaking English, instead of Russian. Some people might not get wtf you're saying (dumbasses) - maybe both laugh at a stool joke - but an audience is inheriant in any presentation.
    Oh, its
    You

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Hello,

I started a blog here a while ago and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I use it as a place to vent to strangers pretty much. It's easier to talk to strangers because they don't have to keep secrets. I don't do it for an audience, it's kind of like a diary where people can respond or not respond. Either way, I'm subscribed to a few here, as well. People that I like, whatever their blog is about. (I ususally get to them last after reviewing other subscribed threads.) I will subscribe to yours, too.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

I need interaction and feedback, a private blog would not satisfy this extrovert!

I enjoy reading Blog posts in the forums, so long as they are either under 3 paragraphs long or exceptionally interesting. Some are more enticing than others, check out some of the posts in Juice's blog about his "boring life", they're captivating.

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    I am curious as to what the motivations are to posting a personal blog on a forum like this?
    In the past blogs have simply been a chat type thread for me where I have a slightly greater say over the random topic to be discussed and joked about with minimal sincerity and maximum joviality. My current blog was started with the aim of being able to be a resource for anyone who was gender confused or wanted to understand transsexuality. The simple fact for me is the more people who understand, the better my life can be.

For those with blogs, what are your concerns in terms of privacy, anonymity etc? This question also goes for those who post pictures of themselves online that could be traceable back to them personally.
    I have little concern for privacy in regards to people from the forums knowing my name etc, my concerns about privacy are the other way around, those I interact with irl reading things I post in my blog or anywhere for that matter, my main thought revolves around potential employers or other business contacts, as such I'll divulge just about anything in a searchable space except my full name but not because I don't want you to know it.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

A place to vent, a place to post things of a more personal nature that may be of interest to a few but not likely to everyone.

Is it for the peer support?

Sometimes. I have posted things on my blog asking for advice on different issues.

Does having a blog where you discuss your life make you more 'real' to others in a community like this one?

I don't think it makes you more 'real' necessarily. Some people just don't like blogging much or don't see the point. I do think that keeping a blog is a good way to reveal a more personal side of yourself but you don't have to have a blog to do this. You can do this in the regular threads too. I guess its a matter of preference.

Are those who regularly post in such blogs more popular than those who don't?

Maybe. If you read other peoples' blogs and reply to them you're more likely to be seen as friendly and wanting to interact with other forum members.

I confess that I haven't been reading all of the blogs- just a few so I don't have a good sense as to how much blog participation contributes to popularity with other forum members.

One thing I've noticed is that it seems like the majority of the members here with a high post count do keep a blog on here with a couple of exceptions. I haven't seen Jennifer keeping a blog and she's got a far highest post count than anyone here. She's probably one of the more well-liked members as well.

What does this imply about those who choose not to make a blog, either in a forum community or elsewhere?

Some people just don't like blogging for various reasons. They may be hesitant to reveal more personal information- especially if they're newer to the forum and don't know how it will be received. Some people choose to start a blog later after they've been on the forum for awhile. Some people are more terse with their words and alot of writing is a waste of time for them. Some think that there is no point in blogging if they don't think anyone is actually going to read it. Some think, who cares about all the personal details of my life? Why do I need a blog?

The blogs here are only viewable by forum members who've logged in so I don't worry about it too much. Same with posting photos of myself, as long as I post them in the lounge. If the blogs were viewable to the general public, I think alot of us would be far more cautious as to what we posted there.

I don't care.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Thanks for the responses so far...

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Btw did you know that stool means shit in russia ?
    What is it with Germans and toilet humor? Oh, nevermind...

I once posted a thread about whether I should start a blog or not (I didn't) and I was told that one should create a blog with an audience in mind, or you'll be the online equivalent of the drunk at the last stool of the bar.

Is this true though?

Several questions were posed:
    Do you read other people's blogs?
    How do you find them?
    I do you weed out the crap?
    How do you build an audience?
    And finally: Is that the goal?

If we are not intending our blog to have an audience, then it should instead be a private journal.

I read others blogs on here. Mostly people I've interacted with over the time I've been here. I used to be into posting in my blog, I had more time to surf then and a lot of my posts were things that'd caught my interest. It was fun just posting, but I did need an audience, not a big one but a consistent one. I don't want to talk to myself.

I'd like to know something interesting if the drunk has something to say. I started my blog drunk.

MBTI
    XXFP

I actually write a lot, journaling and blogging.

The blog is there because I do enjoy the audience, or at least I'm offering the invitation for commentary. When I write stories (I'd guess the most popular aspect of my blog) about events that happen to me, they are written to be entertaining for the audience.

Speaking of drunks at the end of the bar...A Bar Story

Other times, I post pictures, which people like because...people like pictures.

Other times, I post my philosophical ramblings. People probably don't really read those. If my goal was to garner commercial value from my blog, I'd edit those out - it's best to provide the content people want to see, and to keep to a specific type of content. But this is a psych forum, so I include it so people can see various aspects of me, if they want to.

Maybe if I stuck to just personal philosophy, I'd gain a reputation (and niche market) for it, but philosophical types tend to get scared off by stories about smashing stuff up with crowbars and driving around in the snow.

Also, people like smut. Whether you want to write about smut or not, once you give them a little, they want more.

I haven't looked at my blog's stats since...I can't remember when, but I have average viewership based on the amount of posts I have, if that means anything to you.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

What is it with Germans and toilet humor? Oh, nevermind...
    I've no clue, maybe thats encoded in the Genes

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fZbxKQJ8uI&feature=related"].[/YOUTUBE]
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]