User Tag List

Thread: alchemy

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Default alchemy

i watched this video about alchemy some time ago and went something between these

(this is the first part of eight)

i pretty much always knew that this sort of thing exists(used my deduction skillzors), but never knew it was alchemy, as i thought it was just some ancient myth that you can turn crap metals to gold(like most people do). it shares my view on god(that i have figured out myself few years ago) and i always knew that there was this one thing that all religions and philosophies came from, as they share some basic concepts

i really suggest everyone to watch the video. especially if you want to know where many jungs views about collective unconscious and archetypes(and his view on god/self, and many other things), many religions, philosophy(western and eastern), science, modern medicine and pretty everything you know about the world came from.

what do you guys think about alchemy, after watching the video?

im not really interested about ignorant views about this, but feel free to say your opinion about alchemy in general, even if you dont have any idea what you are talking about, but would be nice if you mentioned it.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

The narrator's voice is so annoying.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

I watched the whole series and then some terrance mckenna stuff... all this stuff puts you on a Ni trip. Its fascinating and put's one at ease... but then I always come back to: what's the goal of ego death and all of this transcendence? There are no increased abilities, and even if there were, you're taught to not want anything. So what: we're just going to float around meditating for the rest of existence??? If we had no wants/needs/pleasures/solutions/etc wouldnt we all just be bored?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

I never understood what the whole thing with alchemy was. It's supposed to be turning lead into gold, right?
    It's funny, as lead and gold are close on the table of elements. Lead has three more protons than gold. You would think it wouldn't be so difficult to change one into the other; though I guess we have not learned how to manipulate atomic structure like that.

So from what I read, the ancients made an occult religion out of it. It's the same sort of thing Astrology is, right? I guess people claimed to turn lead into gold using magic or something?
    I see people sometimes associate type/temperament theory with it, and I've seen Jungian theorists mention stuff like "alchemical change" in figurative senses.
    I don't think the association sticks. If we still tied temperament to the zodiac, as I added info on in a thread on that, then yes. But it no longer makes that claim. It's supposedly about the brain, and hopefully studies linking it to brain hemispheres will one day give it some form of scientific credibility.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    I never understood what the whole thing with alchemy was. It's supposed to be turning lead into gold, right?
    It's funny, as lead and gold are close on the table of elements. Lead has three more atoms than gold. You would think it wouldn't be so difficult to change one into the other; though I guess we have not learned how to manipulate atomic structure like that.

So from what I read, the ancients made an occult religion out of it. It's the same sort of thing Astrology is, right? I guess people claimed to turn lead into gold using magic or something?
    I see people sometimes associate type/temperament theory with it, and I've seen Jungian theorists mention stuff like "alchemical change" in figurative senses.
    I don't think the association sticks. If we still tied temperament to the zodiac, as I added info on in a thread on that, then yes. But it no longer makes that claim. It's supposedly about the brain, and hopefully studies linking it to brain hemispheres will one day give it some form of scientific credibility.
    argh, americans and history... it's a shame really

Alchemy had the goal to find the so called 'philosophers stone' a tool to convey eternal youth, immortality and was able to turn base metals into gold. Alchemy was the precursor to chemistry, there are still tools used in chemistry from that time, it was a sort of first science. It had a lot of mythological, spiritual and mythical components as well, so its no pure science.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    its a metaphor for changing something worthless to something that is worth alot.

like entropie mentioned the philosophers stone, it can be the elixir of life(in psychology in mental sense and maybe physiologically in chemical sense), or turning lead to gold(in science) etc.

the deal with alchemy is that for example venus represents (if i remember right) forgiving love(woman stuff) etc, while mars represents aggressive behavior etc (man stuff) and how these two planets interact is similar to how these psychological functions interact and how the chemical compounds that are also tied to these two interact with each other. dunno if those things are 100% correct, but you get the basic idea.

anyway, people studying those sort of interactions and applying it to other stuff gave birth to modern medicine, newtons gravity laws, jungs archetypes/collective unconscious(which is actually pretty much of an straight copy from alchemy) etc.

the reason i find this so interesting is that maybe there is more to discover from the system and because its historically so significant thing as its pretty much the base for todays society

watch the video maybe?
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

OK, thanks. I basically get it now. (I watched the first video, but it's an 8 part series, and just never got around to the rest of it).
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas