User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Rhu View Post
    "It's time to go fisting." That'll larn 'em. That'll larn em but good.

OMG, I know you probably meant you'd get all pugilistic on their butts, but I associate 'fisting' with a whole 'nother act entirely and wow, um...

Yeah I'm sure you would larn em but good!

Fo' sho'.

:yim_rolling_on_the_ x2

Hahahahahaha, I have no idea if anyone else is gonna get this, but I'm cracking myself the 'eff up right now.
    Last edited by CzeCze; 04-03-2008 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Got my answer
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

After reading this thread, I know why parents get frustrated and say "Because I said so!"

I happen to think "You're too young to understand" is a perfectly legitimate argument. But then again, I'm 37. No matter how smart you are, there are things you will only learn by experience and by getting older. It's not something anyone wants to hear, but it's valid.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    :steam: and another one I get thrown at me by professors all of the time! (like today when I wanted to know WHY I had to make my sentence diagraming notations in a totally nonsensical manner )

"because the book says so"

THAT'S NOT A GOOD REASON WHY!!!!! :steam: all I want is to understand it!
    Technically, that is a valid answer. You just need to continue to the follow-up question: Why does the book say so?
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

MBTI
    infp

You know what word annoys me? Classic.

Classic is abused so much, it might be one of those words I wake up hoping I don't hear.

When something gets labelled "classic", people often lose the ability to truely appreciate it or form their own independant opinion on it. Its classic, and therefor must be good.

What happens if you don't think its good, though? In my experience, if I, for example, say I did not enjoy Romeo and Juliet, someone (aka my english teacher last year) will say I'm too young or too immature or some shit, and that its a classic. How can you think it is anything less than an auto-orgasm inducing masterpiece, its a classic! The problem with classics is that if you don't like them or whatever you will, in the eyes of some people, suddenly have bad taste, or be immature, or unintelligent. I don't like Pink Floyd. "Dude, you suck, Pink Floyd is classic!". Maybe, but I don't like it.

And is it just me or do a lot of classics have things that are vague or mysterious enough that a lot of people won't have any idea what the hell is going on? Take Shakespeare, it requires translation. Or that movie No Country for Old Men. When that movie ended, there was a collective sense of "what the hell?" in the theatre. I'm betting everyone told their pals it was the best movie ever because they don't want to sound stupid or tasteless, plus all the critics say its great (I didn't think that movie was bad, though, to be honest, but it wasn't nearly as great as it was made out to be).

Maybe these things actually are amazing, great works of art. Maybe, but its impossible to really make sens eof it for yourself with this damn classic cloud hovering over you.

I hate the word classic!

Another thing I hate, a phrase or word, are the things movie critics use. "A compelling and masterfully done swan song for the _____ brothers!". I hate it when people talk about these movies and essentially regurgitate the critics (one of my cousins, who is one of my best friends, does this regularly). Its almost like he memorized the big, bolded words they stick into the movie ads in the newspaper and used them to explain how good that movie was and how he is a "movie buff".

And my final rant of the night (hopefully and its not entirely related to phrases people use, but it sort of is)

Quotations are funny. You see a lot of people recite some kind of famous quote. ""Blah blah blah blah blah" You know who said that? Bryan Walter Higgins". Its almost always someone with three names, too, and its often someone you've never heard of. Edger Allen Poe. Frank Lloyd Wright. (just examples of big names, not neccesarily examples of often quoted people). And some people recite hese quotes and say "you know who said that?" and then name someone who you probably havn't heard of. Its almost like the fact you don't know who the person is is suppose to qualify it as a legitimate idea, or that their three-word name does the same thing. Same with names where there is a single letter for the middle name. Thomas A. Bennett.

Ok, that last rant wasn't entirely serious

MBTI
    ESFJ

I almost forgot, two Cali slang phrases that make me cringe: hella, and butt-hurt. ESPECIALLY butt-hurt. I've heard 35-year-old men say that, and it's just appalling. Plus, the pronunciation it gets: "buddert." Just a vile-sounding word.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I almost forgot, two Cali slang phrases that make me cringe: hella, and butt-hurt. ESPECIALLY butt-hurt. I've heard 35-year-old men say that, and it's just appalling. Plus, the pronunciation it gets: "buddert." Just a vile-sounding word.
    Butt-hurt? For real? Can you give an example? Can't say I've ever heard that one!

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Butt-hurt? For real? Can you give an example? Can't say I've ever heard that one!
    "Jessica was completely butt-hurt when she saw Brad kissing Lauren." It's like emotionally bruised, especially in what the speaker considers a silly way. I heard about 20 times when my sister was watching an episode of Laguna Beach.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFP

It's internet lingo that means "hurt feelings".

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    "Jessica was completely butt-hurt when she saw Brad kissing Lauren." It's like emotionally bruised, especially in what the speaker considers a silly way. I heard about 20 times when my sister was watching an episode of Laguna Beach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    It's internet lingo that means "hurt feelings".
    Woof. Thanks for the explanations. I think that's gonna have to go on my list of annoying phrases right off the bat. Especially if it's said a lot on "Laguna Beach."

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

"I understand... but.." - No. You do not.

"I thought we were friends" - No, buddy.

"You're too young to understand" - And you are too old to see.

"OMG!!!! I luv it!!! I luv yews!!!!" - and you and you and you and you as well.... "Love" is too easily used nowadays...