First 2345614 Last

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Yeah magic, I'm with you on that. And I'm also 100% with TBGO on "everything happens for a reason". I really hate that one too and have blogged about it in the past. #

Jen, actually I think the most genuine apologies don't need to make use of the word "sorry" at all. If someone realizes they're wrong, the best thing to do would be to admit it and, moreover, change their actions to prove it.

edit - I've no issues with text speak - IN TEXT MESSAGES!!!! If it's the only/main way that a person writes in any context, however, I tend to feel not so much annoyance at the person, but at the education system and society that's failed them. But then that just begs other questions that invalidate the entire concept of having any problem with any form of spelling or grammar at all, and I end up not really being bothered...
    You're a better person than I. One day I hope to have the patience with people and life in general that you do. It's never to late right?

As for the education thing I blame the parents. But I suppose if the parents are stupid and uneducated it might wind its way back to being the education systems fault. I believe it's also a gene thing. Oooo I'm gonna get it now, but if stupid people reproduce would it be considered wrong of me to not be surprised that their offspring are dimly lit bulbs as well?

I agree with you, sorry doesn't cut it. It's admission and bettering things by not repeating.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    You're a better person than I. I hope to one day have the patience that you do. I blame the parents.
    Thanks, but "I blame the parents" was gonna be my next phrase that bugs me... heheheh...

Reason being, most people who say it don't really know much about either the kid/s or the parent/s in question, and are just judging on face appearances. Being a parent of an Aspies kid who is just normal enough for it to seem to strangers that she's "just naughty", but just autistic enough for normal parenting methods to be completely useless. I do my absolute utmost to help her learn to behave politely and conderately and stuff but as yet she's only little and has a long way to go. It's very demoralizing and hurtful when me and her are both doing our best, but some ignoramus to whom she commits the terrible sin of forgetting to say "thank you" corrects her in an overbearing way and gives me judgemental looks as if to say "if you were any kind of parent, you'd have taught her manners by now!"

Also, it sorta discounts the fact that kids are human beings with their own minds and personalities and freewill, and often even the most well brought up kids still behave badly because it's just what they choose to do, and short of keeping them on a leash 24 hours a day and drilling them like they were in the army, there really isn't much a parent can do to change their behaviour, and yet even so they still try their best.

I think when people say "I blame the parents" it's quite an ignorant and judgemental thing to say, and it's not in the least bit constructive... and it can be heartbreaking for most parents who really do their very best... I swear nobody can know the pain and heartache it takes to get my Aspie to do a single worksheet of homework...

Not meaning to get at you Jen cos you were probably only (half) joking. But generally... that phrase, when I hear someone say it, I have to leave the room because I know I'll tear into them otherwise...

edit - oh, I just saw your edit after I posted this lol as regards stupidity, neither of my parents were particularly bright, but they have three out of five kids having held MENSA membership at one point, and the other two aren't dim either
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

I remember about 10 years ago it seemed like everyone began every sentence with "basically." Some people still do it.

"High rate of speed." "High rate of distance over time" is fine but "high rate of speed" is stupid.

"Physically." "I physically manipulated the object." Unless you've developed telekinesis you're going to physically interact with objects. You don't need to tell us how.

Prefixing a metaphor with the word 'literally'. Metaphors are not literal, ergo, you are a moron.

English, motherfucker. Do you speak it?

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    WooHoo! I want a "daycation! hehe ;P

I was told over at INTPc that it was polite to say IMHO or IMO when giving advice in a thread. I suppose it's helps one come off as less of a know it all. The 2cents thing annoys me too. I am pretty blunt irl but online I try to be a little more tactful and will give them the imo now and then to keep the peace. That and I promised Ivy that I would behave over here and I am a woman of my word.

Understand beeatches?

I am truly sorry. Is this better?

Zerg I couldn't agree more. Text speak really pisses me off. It proves how Idiocracy is alive and well in the world. God help us all. Intelligent people please reproduce so the "Britneys" of this world will become the minority.
    It is a very important to preface certain statements with IMO for because some people have a writing style that is very authoritative and convincing. Without using IMO, ones reader could be misled into believing the statement was a fact as opposed to an opinion.

I hate when I am told that something "will be a good learning experience". Whenever someone says that to you there is a good chance that you getting screwed.

MBTI
    ENTP

Related to what sassa said, I don't exactly hate it, but find it a bit odd, when people start a sentence with "No..."

I don't mean just one like "No bananas are blue" or whatever, but one where someone uses the word "no" to introduce a completely irrelevant sentence or topic, hoping that this will make it sound like a continuation of what the group was already talking about. Example:

A: ...so when is it?
    B: Thursday, I think. Better ask Steve, he's making the flyers
    C: How much is it gonna cost us?
    B: About ten dollars each, but allow a bit extra for eating when you get there
    D: No, I really do think those flowers would look better over in that corner...

That sorta thing?
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Thanks, but "I blame the parents" was gonna be my next phrase that bugs me... heheheh...

Reason being, most people who say it don't really know much about either the kid/s or the parent/s in question, and are just judging on face appearances. Being a parent of an Aspies kid who is just normal enough for it to seem to strangers that she's "just naughty", but just autistic enough for normal parenting methods to be completely useless. I do my absolute utmost to help her learn to behave politely and conderately and stuff but as yet she's only little and has a long way to go. It's very demoralizing and hurtful when me and her are both doing our best, but some ignoramus to whom she commits the terrible sin of forgetting to say "thank you" corrects her in an overbearing way and gives me judgemental looks as if to say "if you were any kind of parent, you'd have taught her manners by now!"

Also, it sorta discounts the fact that kids are human beings with their own minds and personalities and freewill, and often even the most well brought up kids still behave badly because it's just what they choose to do, and short of keeping them on a leash 24 hours a day and drilling them like they were in the army, there really isn't much a parent can do to change their behaviour, and yet even so they still try their best.

I think when people say "I blame the parents" it's quite an ignorant and judgemental thing to say, and it's not in the least bit constructive... and it can be heartbreaking for most parents who really do their very best...

Not meaning to get at you Jen cos you were probably only (half) joking. But generally... that phrase, when I hear someone say it, I have to leave the room because I know I'll tear into them otherwise...

edit - oh, I just saw your edit after I posted this lol as regards stupidity, neither of my parents were particularly bright, but they have three out of five kids having held MENSA membership at one point, and the other two aren't dim either
    Yeah I was sort of joking. The part of me that wasn't joking was directing my comments to parents who are uncaring neglectful individuals that should have never had children in the first place, but I understand what you're saying . We are in the process of having our son evaluated to find out what's going on. Because I want to protect him from less understanding people I am now homeschooling him. He is very smart but is somewhat a mystery to us at this time.

You're an interesting person for me to communicate with because according to MBTI my ideal partner is an ENTP. Now I am very happy with my INTJ and like him you add an alternate perspective to our conversations which I find fascinating.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INTP

Yeah, I get that you have to differentiate between opinion and actual fact, but I just feel like the IMO thing gets taken too far and is used far too often. Sometimes just taking the time to phrase one's opinion thoughtfully is all the "diffusing" one needs. Usually it's just stuff with the general attitude of IF SOME PEOPLE ARE TOO STUPID TO SEE X THEN THERE IS NO HOPE FOR THEM, with a little "IMO" on the end.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

After having a conversation that dragged on longer then it needed to with an ESFJ "Are you sure?"

It should only be asked once, not five fucking times.

Yes, I'm sure. Go home.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

you guys have already suggested some really annoying ones!

I hate it when people use redundancies like PIN number or ATM machine :steam: THE WORD IS INCLUDED IN THE ABBREVIATION!!! Also, I hate the term "personal ID" which I hear sometimes from customers- who else's IDs are they carrying around to use?

ugh- and So what? as a response to something- it's unintelligent AND uncaring! *grrrr*
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    After having a conversation that dragged on longer then it needed to with an ESFJ "Are you sure?"

It should only be asked once, not five fucking times.

Yes, I'm sure. Go home.
    TOTALLY!! I just had a similar experience yesterday, except with an ISFP! In this case it was because she asked me a favour (to give her a ride somewhere) and I said yes. She REALLY wanted to be 100% sure that I didn't mind!!