User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Variations of "(a) and (B) are completely different from each other", when applied to two items that actually have a lot in common, such as two heavy metal bands, two civilization type games, etc. It's really only a very minor annoyance, but it does seem that a lot of times the two items being compared are actually quite similar to each other in a lot of ways, and that the amount of difference depends on the point of view of the person making the comparison.

The expression "apples and oranges", actually seems to fit this situation pretty well, since apples and oranges are both fruit, and more similar to each other than, say, apples and milk, or apples and asphalt, or apples and communism.

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Oh, one that I personally hate: "Are you Chinese?"
    Well, are you?

MBTI
    GONE

HA! You will get the same response people get IRL.

Sometimes I just lie in my response, I think 1x or 2x I've made up an entirely new country/race and people don't get it.

On and this doesn't bother me, I just never use them:

Same diff
    Whatevs

I also don't get it when people say "that's so gay". What does that mean? That something/someone looks like a hot Angelina Jolie look-alike that you want to explore your personal Kinsey scale reading with by having wild sapphic making out with? You think a pair of shorts reminds you of Chastity Bono? What? What does that mean??

My brother uses the term sometimes so I got back at him. His small furry white dog jumped on his lap while he was driving and I told him, "Dude, you look so gay right now" In this case I think the word was used appropriately. Even he agreed with me.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    I also don't get it when people say "that's so gay". What does that mean? That something/someone looks like a hot Angelina Jolie look-alike that you want to explore your personal Kinsey scale reading with by having wild sapphic making out with? You think a pair of shorts reminds you of Chastity Bono? What? What does that mean??
    I'll admit that I've used this one in the past. When I was a kid it was just another word for "dorky". In my mind it's completely disassociated with homosexuality, so I don't feel bad when I say it, although I completely understand how a gay person may have a rather strong difference of opinion. I've made it a point as an adult to try to refrain from using it, but honestly it feels kind of silly and inoffensive to me. I compare it to the use of the phrases "grammar nazi", "spelling nazi" and the like. It's kind of understood that the word has evolved a second, inoffensive meaning that has nothing to do with comparing a person to an actual Nazi, which would be completely offensive.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFj

Unhappy

I don't think I saw anyone post this one. "How are you doing," as a greeting. This especially gets me if it is someone passing you on the street. Are you supposed to grab their arm to tell them how you are doing if the question can't be answered in one word? What would they say to you if you said, as happened to be true at the time, "terribly?" It's such a stupid question to ask on the run. I answer it with, "Hi!" Works just fine when I can't say, "fine." (This is a particular problem for those prone to depression.)

Also IMO and IMHO (I just learned what those mean) seem unnecessary in most cases.
    "My Journey is my Destination."

"Today Counts Forever." R.C. Sproul

MBTI
    INFP

"Have a good one."

MBTI
    istp

so "how are you doing"
    Scuse me, gotta run, some 'feeling type' is walking towards me trying to make something called conversation

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I don't think I saw anyone post this one. "How are you doing," as a greeting. This especially gets me if it is someone passing you on the street. Are you supposed to grab their arm to tell them how you are doing if the question can't be answered in one word? What would they say to you if you said, as happened to be true at the time, "terribly?" It's such a stupid question to ask on the run. I answer it with, "Hi!" Works just fine when I can't say, "fine." (This is a particular problem for those prone to depression.)
    Me, too. Hate that. I never know what to do.

I'm not fond of "Take care," either. What do you say to that? "Thanks?" "You, too?"

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I always answer that with "Terrible, thanks. How are you?", even if I'm fine. Once in a while I mix it up with "Fair to partly indifferent."

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I'm not fond of "Take care," either. What do you say to that? "Thanks?" "You, too?"
    LOL. You make me giggle, Tallulah. What parting phrases do you accept?

Here's one of mine; people pronouncing "exit" as "egg-zit".
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

MBTI
    INTP

"Have a nice day"
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Its gona be OK

Yeah well I say "shut the F*** UP, you dont know that. I could get hit by a bus tomorrow then wheres my F***ing OK." YouTube - The Irony of Jesus singing,'I will survive!'
    SDMF