User Tag List

123 Last

figsfiggyfigs

Default Your Name: Do you feel the connection?

Odd, but inspired by TG's blog:

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Also, is it just me or does anyone hate the sound of their own name?

I have a beautiful name but every time I hear someone pronounce it, I sort of cringe. I do not have this problem with my nickname. Just thought that was odd.

Quote Originally Posted by senza_tema View Post
    It's not just you. I have a pretty name but I twitch a little each time someone uses it, even if that someone is me. Also, there are days when it just doesn't feel like it's mine. I write it out over and over again trying to convince myself that it belongs to me but the more I do it, the more distant it gets.

Didn't use to be a problem with my nicknames, but those have started growing alien as well.

I relate to both posts.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Meh. None of my given names particularly inspire pride or aversion in me. They just are what they are, NBD
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I go through phases, just as I do with words -- if you say them long enough, they sound alien or weird.

I generally like my name, but sometimes I'm bored by it. Then again, if I had a weird or exotic name, it would quickly become the same once I hear it day in and day out.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

No, it's pretty standard here.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I think my first name is awesome. Unusual but not bizarre. It lends itself to annoying nicknames, though.
    -end of thread-

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I hate all of My names, my last name mostly because most people can't pronounce it. And I just don't like the way My first name sounds. My middle name is okay, though, if taken in the proper context.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I was exceptionally lucky that my mother gave me a nickname as my complete first name, that way I cringe when people try to call me a lengthened version of my name...BECAUSE IT IS NOT MY FUCKING NAME. NO, WHAT I AM CALLED IS THE NAME MY MOTHER GAVE ME. MY NAME REALLY IS ___________!!!111

I also like to always sign my name with my middle name involved.

I ponder at times, too, that it would be weird to not have my last name, though I've given consideration to changing my name to my husband's if I married, for reasons of pair bonding and family consistency. But I honestly wonder if I'd ever feel right not having my last name. It's like an institution to me.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

Don't know, I don't particularly like my first name, although it is not a bad name, and at least has some meaning and history. My last name again is a bit impractical because it is a bit difficult for most people to pronounce here often on the first try, but I like it for its origin.

I don't have a middle name because my freaking father forgot to give it to me at the registry office...

Permabanned

I like my name. I used to not to, but it's grown on me.
    One interesting thing about my name is that it is virtually impossible to give me a nickname based off of my real name.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I ponder at times, too, that it would be weird to not have my last name, though I've given consideration to changing my name to my husband's if I married, for reasons of pair bonding and family consistency. But I honestly wonder if I'd ever feel right not having my last name. It's like an institution to me.
    I'm personally opposed to women changing their last name to their husband's when they get married. I mean...why?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp