User Tag List

First 123

Results 21 to 30 of 30

  1. #21
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,409

    Default

    Looks like this needs to be posted once again, for those who think members have to "go find another forum" if they don't conform to groupthink.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    As I usually say when this comes up, we try to be a site where typology can be investigated and critiqued, not just swallowed wholesale. Which is why we don't delete posts that are critical of MBTI. We welcome skeptics; I am one myself.

  2. #22
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    I already feel this turning into a mine filed.

    There is no accurate surefire way of segregation, leaves room for error--as do most things though. Basically, typing someone is pointless, especially on the forum. A, people are going to be typing themselves, B, others are going to be typing them, C, they're probably wrong, D, it will lead to an array of incorrect generalization.
    Expound upon "segregation".

    I think it's interesting that you're coming forth with these thoughts because they speak volumes about you and your experience.

    I agree with you, but I don't think members should be neutered from asking questions about their type or typology. Yes, it will inevitably lead to misconceptions, but if someone makes a mistake, the realization of their errors will make learning *clunk* harder. Unraveling those misconceptions only comes through more investigation.

    I'm curious why you say that people are mistyped. I wonder if you're examining their behaviors and comparing it to your network of knowledge, or if you're flying with that assumption because of the convoluted road people sometimes take when they come to this forum with inquiries. If you're comparing those people with what you believe about typology, then you're falling prey to the same lines of reasoning that drive you up the wall in others.

    The only way I would even question a person's type is if they clearly demonstrated that they misunderstand the theory, particularly if their misunderstandings are fastened around their self-proclaimed type. It would have nothing to do with my impression of them as a person. Examining a person, person comes first, type comes last for me.

    I think my biggest issue with typing here, is the severity in which people use it to base their opinions on. Yes, there will be some commonalities between those that say they're of a certain type, yes if gives you a fair idea of how someone MIGHT process information based on their type.
    Crazy is crazy. Emo is Emo. Angry is Angry. Yadda yadda. I has nothing to do with type. If a person is unhealthy, they're unhealthy, their behavior isn't specific to one type. If the person is happy, and ambitious, their behavior is not specific to one type. If they have certain hobbies, they're not specific to one type. And yet, people seem to be constantly making these assumptions; and basing a LOT of what they believe about people in regards to behavior, on type. What drives me insane is when people excuse certain things because someone is of a certain type. " oh, yeah, that's common for ___". This leads to generalizations and even dismissal, if not, enabling, of stupidity.

    To me, the idea of type theory is sort of like having a trichotomy of barrels of fish. Small, medium, large. Just because you're getting a medium, it doesn't mean its going to weigh exactly the same size. It only gives you an IDEA of the possible measurements available for that specific option; that if you get the measurements right. In regards to size, which is a fairly simple and static thing, in comparison to the human mind/behavior, which is a very complex, contextual, and ambiguous thing.

    Don't get me wrong, I like type theory, it IS interesting, but at the same time, you have to be careful with how invasive you allow it to be. This doesn't mean that I, myself, don't make stereotypical remarks all the time. It's actually one of my favorite things to do, but not because I believe it, but because it makes me laugh.


    That's my general opinion.
    Your opinion is more than justified.

  3. #23
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    *yawn*

    This argument again? Go find another forum, if you're so unhappy with the central concepts this one is based around
    Go cry some more.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I'm curious why you say that people are mistyped.
    And does it even matter? Check out YLJ's recent comment about his own type:

    Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Well, it IS pretty annoying to arrive here an ENFP, have an adventure trying out 15 other types, and arriving at the same conclusion four years later...


    Trying out 15 other types?
    Let's get real. YLJ is not exactly the only person in this forum who went on a "type trip" to find himself.
    At least he has a sense of humor about it.

    People might as well accept that when they look at a member's profile, it might just be their "type" on that day, week, month or year.

  5. #25
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    And does it even matter? Check out YLJ's recent comment about his own type:
    Dee's opinions might not matter to you, but they matter to me.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,409

    Default

    My post had nothing to do with Dee, whatsoever.

  7. #27
    lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,170

    Default

    This topic NEVER gets old, and it plays out exactly the same every time some one starts a thread about it.
    *goes back to writing tear stained sheets of bad poetry*
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  8. #28
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    My post had nothing to do with Dee, whatsoever.
    Exactly.

  9. #29
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    i wonder about the idea of "mistyping" in and of itself. the term suggests that there is one single, final and correct answer to each person's type, that it is not a matter of perspective nor what that "type" means to the person.

    i think it's more like YWIR's barrels. are you small, medium, or large? well, it's up to you, really. if being a size small satisfies your worldview and whatever it is about your identity that you are seeking, and you can sufficiently explain to others why you are a size small, and others do not throw up their hands - fins? - in protest, then small you are. there is no coding in your DNA that can prove otherwise.

    given, of course, it is usually helpful to the fifteen foot fish when you suggest to him that he might find more comfort and understanding in the medium barrel, if not perhaps the large.

  10. #30
    Senior Member You's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,137

    Default

    Did you just reference a 15 foot fish to prove type is relevant?
    Oh, its
    You
    ....

Similar Threads

  1. What type is Shadow the Hedgehog (Sonic Adventure 2 Battle)
    By Athenian200 in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-29-2016, 05:04 PM
  2. What type is House?
    By RansomedbyFire in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 1046
    Last Post: 11-23-2015, 07:15 PM
  3. What type is he?
    By Climber07 in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-28-2008, 03:34 PM
  4. What type is the most pedantic?
    By Kiddo in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 10-24-2007, 02:11 PM
  5. [MBTItm] Which type is good at guessing type?
    By INTJMom in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-02-2007, 07:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO