User Tag List

First 123 Last

Ginkgo

Lol. The ethics of MBTI state that it is the test takers' responsibility to decide which type they are. If the test taker wants to be accurate, then it would be wise for the test taker to fully understand MBTI and the concepts surrounding it so they can draw a conclusion on their own terms rather than someone else's, since their motivations are self-evident to them and no one else's.

While the conclusion drawn from a bystander has the potential to be correct, from a theoretical 1/16, their process in doing so will be flawed. It is tantamount to a guess, a crap shoot, or a gamble.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    How the fuck should I know? If most of them are periodically confused about what their type is from the start.
    Just because they're asking for input and haven't arrived at a reasonable outcome doesn't mean they're completely delirious. It actually means they have a healthy curiosity, which, in my opinion, could be better satisfied by independent study.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    Only God can determine type.
    I think you just check mated me.

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Just because they're asking for input and haven't arrived at a reasonable outcome doesn't mean they're completely delirious. It actually means they have a healthy curiosity, which, in my opinion, could be better satisfied by independent study.
    I already feel this turning into a mine field

There is no accurate surefire way of segregation, leaves room for error--as do most things though. Basically, typing someone is pointless, especially on the forum. A, people are going to be typing themselves, B, others are going to be typing them, C, they're probably wrong, D, it will lead to an array of incorrect generalization.

I think my biggest issue with typing here, is the severity in which people use it to base their opinions on. Yes, there will be some commonalities between those that say they're of a certain type, yes if gives you a fair idea of how someone MIGHT process information based on their type.
    Crazy is crazy. Emo is Emo. Angry is Angry. Yadda yadda. I has nothing to do with type. If a person is unhealthy, they're unhealthy, their behavior isn't specific to one type. If the person is happy, and ambitious, their behavior is not specific to one type. If they have certain hobbies, they're not specific to one type. And yet, people seem to be constantly making these assumptions; and basing a LOT of what they believe about people in regards to behavior, on type. What drives me insane is when people excuse certain things because someone is of a certain type. " oh, yeah, that's common for ___". This leads to generalizations and even dismissal, if not, enabling, of stupidity.

To me, the idea of type theory is sort of like having a trichotomy of barrels of fish. Small, medium, large. Just because you're getting a medium, it doesn't mean its going to weigh exactly the same size. It only gives you an IDEA of the possible measurements available for that specific option; that if you get the measurements right. In regards to size, which is a fairly simple and static thing, in comparison to the human mind/behavior, which is a very complex, contextual, and ambiguous thing.

Don't get me wrong, I like type theory, it IS interesting, but at the same time, you have to be careful with how invasive you allow it to be. This doesn't mean that I, myself, don't make stereotypical remarks all the time. It's actually one of my favorite things to do, but not because I believe it, but because it makes me laugh.

That's my general opinion.
    Last edited by figsfiggyfigs; 06-28-2011 at 10:26 AM.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    It's who you are that matters.
    One liners make you smart. The less you talk, the wiser people think you are. I could learn one thing or two with you.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I think one of the main reasons why I'm sick of people using type to base almost all of their discussions on, is that most of the population on here is likely wrongly typed.
    This is probably somewhat (though not completely) true because of the outrageous number of people here who have no grasp of Jungian function theory at all.

It took me a while to learn it, I mean it's not astrophysics, but it's also not as quick and easy as making up lame stereotypes like "iNtuitives are dark and cool and Sensors are good salt-of-the-earth-people." That seems to suit most people, so there you have it.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

To me, the idea of type theory is sort of like having a trichotomy of barrels of fish. Small, medium, large. Just because you're getting a medium, it doesn't mean its going to weigh exactly the same size. It only gives you an IDEA of the possible measurements available for that specific option; that if you get the measurements right. In regards to size, which is a fairly simple and static thing, in comparison to the human mind/behavior, which is a very complex, contextual, and ambiguous thing.
    Yes, it's a range scale of probable characteristics.

(As a disconnected example, there's a decent chance if you live in NYC or another large metro area that you won't own a car, compared to rural locations in the US. But this doens't mean you won't own a car, and it doesn't mean that people in rural areas WILL all own cars. It just denotes a stronger probability.)

The basic type descriptions are compositions of the most likely probabilities for a type, but chances are that every person -- due to being unique -- will deviate from it to some degree.

And types are not exclusive. For example, anyone can like basketball, even if they are not STPs.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Think of your persona like a company – sure your company can be a one-man show, but then it wouldn't grow very much or be very effective, would it? So you need different guys running different parts of the company to make your company the most efficient, effective, and have the most perspective and growth.

Meet Renée Inc. The big boss of Renée Inc. is Mr. Nathan Evans, but you can call him Ne for short. Nathan's task is to gather all the possibilities, evaluate them according to what makes the most sense, and make decisions based on all the facts available to him. Now he could do this all on his own, but as a Managing Director of a big corporation, he needs to delegate work to some other people.

For example, we have his secretary, Ms. Frances Iams, or Fi for short. Her job is to take all the possibilities presented and evaluate them based on a certain list of values she has. After all, poor Mr. Evans cannot make good decisions if no one is there to sort out everything. She does all the trouble of sifting through so that only the very best possibilities land on Mr. Evans's desk.

And then we have the director, Mr. Theodore Exert, or Te for short. His job is to find all the possible means to execute all the brilliant plans that have been sorted out by Ms. Iams. Mr. Exert hasn't been at the company for long, but he catches on quite quickly and susses out all the possibilities that are not only good, but also feasible, presenting ways in which the plans can be carried out the best.

Mr. Exert has his associate, Mr. Simon Insider, or Si or short. Now Simon is very new at the company, but he works very hard to try to find out all the facts so that Mr. Exert can make good decisions on plans to implement the ideas that Ms. Iams has sifted out presented to her by Mr. Evans. Afterwards Mr. Evans gets the revamped ideas back on his desk, and he can decide which possibility is the most interesting based on how Ms. Iams perceives it, Mr. Exert plans it, and the info that Mr. Insider has gathered.

But every once in a while this team goes a little bit haywire. Sometimes Mrs. Iams has such a stack of papers and plans on her desk that she can't plough through it fast enough. And Mr. Evans gets a bit impatient and keeps calling her every five seconds to suggest another plan of action. Mr. Exert gets grumpy because he thinks she's not really being effective enough, so he puts more pressure on poor Mr. Insider, who really can't deal with the overload, being so new at the company. So Mr. Insider says, "Fuck you," quits, and leaves Mr. Exert and Mr. Evans in the lurch. Meanwhile, Mrs. Iams is like, "OMFG," Mr. Exert and Mr. Evans start a fight.

When this happens, the PR director, Mr. Steven Euphoria, but just call him Se, comes in and says, "Gentlemen, gentlemen, what's all the fuss. Here, have a seat! Now let's all eat cake and drink coffee, and I'm sure we'll all have a great time." At this, Mr. Exert storms out of the room, furious, and Mr. Evans kinda forgets that this possibility probably isn't the best because his secretary, Mrs. Iams, is dealing with all the other crap she has to do. So Mr. Euphoria and Mr. Evans sit, eating sugar, drinking coffee, and not really giving a crap. Mrs. Iams gets sick of it, and says, "Mr. Evans, when was the last time I had a break," at which point Mr. Euphoria says, "Awww c'mon, Frances, don't be such a bitch. Siddown and have some cake." She gives up and storms out the door, too.

A few weeks later, Mr. Insider comes back, and sees both Mr. Euphoria and Mr. Evans kinda fat and lazy, totally ineffective, shakes his head and tries to get shit back in gear. He goes over to Mr. Exert, and says, "Damn, we need to move this on," but Mr. Exert says he can't do it without Mrs. Iams, who quit. They call her, convince her to come back, after which point they have a big meeting.

Mr. Steven Euphoria gets kicked out from a furious Mr. Exert, who definitely wants to get everything back on track and makes a plan, kind of curtailing Mr. Evans from continuously piling stuff on Mrs. Iams's desk. Mrs. Iams's accepts, and Mr. Insider politely agrees to help with gathering info. Finally things are back in equilibrium, and the company gets back on its feet.

And this is why you need to know about type. Now when companies start negotiating with each other – that's when the real fun begins.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Think of your persona like a company – sure your company can be a one-man show, but then it wouldn't grow very much or be very effective, would it? So you need different guys running different parts of the company to make your company the most efficient, effective, and have the most perspective and growth.

Meet Renée Inc. The big boss of Renée Inc. is Mr. Nathan Evans, but you can call him Ne for short. Nathan's task is to gather all the possibilities, evaluate them according to what makes the most sense, and make decisions based on all the facts available to him. Now he could do this all on his own, but as a Managing Director of a big corporation, he needs to delegate work to some other people.

For example, we have his secretary, Ms. Frances Iams, or Fi for short. Her job is to take all the possibilities presented and evaluate them based on a certain list of values she has. After all, poor Mr. Evans cannot make good decisions if no one is there to sort out everything. She does all the trouble of sifting through so that only the very best possibilities land on Mr. Evans's desk.

And then we have the director, Mr. Theodore Exert, or Te for short. His job is to find all the possible means to execute all the brilliant plans that have been sorted out by Ms. Iams. Mr. Exert hasn't been at the company for long, but he catches on quite quickly and susses out all the possibilities that are not only good, but also feasible, presenting ways in which the plans can be carried out the best.

Mr. Exert has his associate, Mr. Simon Insider, or Si or short. Now Simon is very new at the company, but he works very hard to try to find out all the facts so that Mr. Exert can make good decisions on plans to implement the ideas that Ms. Iams has sifted out presented to her by Mr. Evans. Afterwards Mr. Evans gets the revamped ideas back on his desk, and he can decide which possibility is the most interesting based on how Ms. Iams perceives it, Mr. Exert plans it, and the info that Mr. Insider has gathered.

But every once in a while this team goes a little bit haywire. Sometimes Mrs. Iams has such a stack of papers and plans on her desk that she can't plough through it fast enough. And Mr. Evans gets a bit impatient and keeps calling her every five seconds to suggest another plan of action. Mr. Exert gets grumpy because he thinks she's not really being effective enough, so he puts more pressure on poor Mr. Insider, who really can't deal with the overload, being so new at the company. So Mr. Insider says, "Fuck you," quits, and leaves Mr. Exert and Mr. Evans in the lurch. Meanwhile, Mrs. Iams is like, "OMFG," Mr. Exert and Mr. Evans start a fight.

When this happens, the PR director, Mr. Steven Euphoria, but just call him Se, comes in and says, "Gentlemen, gentlemen, what's all the fuss. Here, have a seat! Now let's all eat cake and drink coffee, and I'm sure we'll all have a great time." At this, Mr. Exert storms out of the room, furious, and Mr. Evans kinda forgets that this possibility probably isn't the best because his secretary, Mrs. Iams, is dealing with all the other crap she has to do. So Mr. Euphoria and Mr. Evans sit, eating sugar, drinking coffee, and not really giving a crap. Mrs. Iams gets sick of it, and says, "Mr. Evans, when was the last time I had a break," at which point Mr. Euphoria says, "Awww c'mon, Frances, don't be such a bitch. Siddown and have some cake." She gives up and storms out the door, too.

A few weeks later, Mr. Insider comes back, and sees both Mr. Euphoria and Mr. Evans kinda fat and lazy, totally ineffective, shakes his head and tries to get shit back in gear. He goes over to Mr. Exert, and says, "Damn, we need to move this on," but Mr. Exert says he can't do it without Mrs. Iams, who quit. They call her, convince her to come back, after which point they have a big meeting.

Mr. Steven Euphoria gets kicked out from a furious Mr. Exert, who definitely wants to get everything back on track and makes a plan, kind of curtailing Mr. Evans from continuously piling stuff on Mrs. Iams's desk. Mrs. Iams's accepts, and Mr. Insider politely agrees to help with gathering info. Finally things are back in equilibrium, and the company gets back on its feet.

And this is why you need to know about type. Now when companies start negotiating with each other – that's when the real fun begins.
    This was absolutely fantastic.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

*yawn*

This argument again? Go find another forum, if you're so unhappy with the central concepts this one is based around
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte