Thread: Forum Etiquette

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Hi. I feel compelled by my INFP inner voice to write this post. I will keep it brief: people need to stop being so damn rude to each other on here. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see when others are actually getting upset, so back off. It makes it not particularly enjoyable to be on here, and it drives members away. There are people of all ages, backgrounds, and countries posting on here. Be polite. (And I am not talking about a heated discussion on a particular topic, I am talking about random threads where people come in to troll for no other reason than that they are bored.)

In summation: if you need an INFP to be your voice of reason, you are failing at life.
    I was just going to make a thread about it to chide our very own forum bullies about that thing earlier.
    It's just disgusting to see someone who wouldn't hurt a fly get ganged up on like that.
    There's a difference between two or more disagreeing parties and outright bullying.
    Anyone with a heart should know that it's not even remotely okay or funny.
    It's far worse than physical violence, even.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    I don't know how many of you guys were around 2008ish or so, but right now, the tone of the forum is very different to what it was back then. I think the distribution of types has shifted from being T domininant (INTP) to hopefully being more rounded. It was literally survival of the fittest, and being NF, well it was made quite clear to me, that apparently I didn't have the intellectual chops, simply based on that fact.
    Some of who were around in those days, have simply become more abrasive, and well, if you've ever been through a stinging swarm of INTP's, you learn to drop all niceties, and scrap intellectually. Some of us aren't above the odd personal remark. Especially when people used to take pleasure in bating the Fi-doms.
    Even a year ago, a theard like this would have buried in derision, and put down to INFP whining and over sensitivity. The rudeness and insensitivity you experience now , is nothing compared to what it used. The fact that people responded to this theard, with receptivity and very little sarcasm means this place has changed quite significantly.
    I hope this enlihgtens y'all a little bit.....this theard itself is a little bit of miracle.
    I like to point out that I have been here in 2008, surviver of rudeness !
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I don't know how many of you guys were around 2008ish or so, but right now, the tone of the forum is very different to what it was back then. I think the distribution of types has shifted from being T domininant (INTP) to hopefully being more rounded. It was literally survival of the fittest, and being NF, well it was made quite clear to me, that apparently I didn't have the intellectual chops, simply based on that fact.
    Some of who were around in those days, have simply become more abrasive, and well, if you've ever been through a stinging swarm of INTP's, you learn to drop all niceties, and scrap intellectually. Some of us aren't above the odd personal remark. Especially when people used to take pleasure in bating the Fi-doms.
    Even a year ago, a theard like this would have buried in derision, and put down to INFP whining and over sensitivity. The rudeness and insensitivity you experience now , is nothing compared to what it used. The fact that people responded to this theard, with receptivity and very little sarcasm means this place has changed quite significantly.
    I hope this enlihgtens y'all a little bit.....this theard itself is a little bit of miracle.
    Except for isolated incidents with a few trolls that have been banned, things have never been as generally bad as they are now.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

violaine

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    I like to point out that I have been here in 2008, surviver of rudeness !
    I want that t-shirt. And, because I'm not rude, I'm not even going to correct your spelling. :-)

In a way I like the abrasiveness. I've built a tolerance that has spilled into real life. I was always not too bad at keeping calm with difficult people, now, that has improved even more.

You have to be careful though. As you get used to it there is a tendency to loosen up yourself.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    ^ what's fascinating to me here is that i've witnessed Te types offend Ti types and call them over-sensitive in the same way that the Ti doms in my family offend me and then call me oversensitive.
    Yeah, that seems about par for the course. I think Te is probably the most "hard-nosed" judging perspective out of the four. Te deals with things directly to accomplish a task, while the social ramifications are a tangential issue, while Ti usually depends on the corresponding Pe function to handle its business, and Pe always seems soft compared to Je. Te also will say,"Technically, I did not mean to be offensive and was just working toward this goal, so why are you upset?" whereas Ti is more interested in the essence of things and thus a little more accommodating even if it can be stubborn in its own way to those with even more personal sense..

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    I was just going to make a thread about it to chide our very own forum bullies about that thing earlier.
    It's just disgusting to see someone who wouldn't hurt a fly get ganged up on like that.
    There's a difference between two or more disagreeing parties and outright bullying.
    Anyone with a heart should know that it's not even remotely okay or funny.
    It's far worse than physical violence, even...
    ...Except for isolated incidents with a few trolls that have been banned, things have never been as generally bad as they are now.
    I find it ironic to see these posts back to back.

*needs to sit down*
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Except for isolated incidents with a few trolls that have been banned, things have never been as generally bad as they are now.

What did I miss? I don't think things are bad now at all. I agree with Crystal Violet that two to three years ago there was a much more severe dog-eat-dog mentality, and yes, I learned from the experiences, actually. It was a growth experience and I'm glad I had it. Shiny Te is shiny.

On the other hand, I agree with Saturned that if someone is obviously hurting in some way you should back off. Making people cry is bad, but I think people should be allowed to joke, tease, and make certain points without it being white-washed as "politically incorrect."

There is a line between the two things.

But overall I don't think the forum is that bad right now at all.

violaine

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    In a way I like the abrasiveness. I've built a tolerance that has spilled into real life. I was always not too bad at keeping calm with difficult people, now, that has improved even more.

You have to be careful though. As you get used to it there is a tendency to loosen up yourself.
    Yeah, I remember when I came here from INTPc - the ultimate place for NF hazing... I had gotten used to it and had to calm down a little myself.

As long as people who give it can take it, if they can't, that's the thing that annoys me but I don't see it a lot here.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

In all honesty, the matter of insults and sensitivity is tad complex concerning the individuals invovled. Yes, an internet forum lacks the face to face interface of real life, but that's what emoticons and properly structured sentences are for. Now if two freinds are trach talking each other, like throwing jokes and insults but at the same time openly laughing about it, then that's all fine and dandy. But should such insensitivity be used against everyone? No. Some people are just naturally vulnerable, take insults seriously, and don't like being treated badly; it's who they are. So people should be more catious not to upset such delicate people with insults, and save such talk with those whom don't mind a little abrasive language.

Also, the severity of an insult is crucial to consider; making fun of an idiot who sabotages his reputation my acting like a whiny bitch over nothing (like me ) is probably going to get some negative feedback thrown their way by the community, and chances are they deserve it, at least to a certain extent. But serious insults should probably always be avoided; making fun of someones recently dead mother is awful and will only hurt the victim, thus should be avoided.

That's my thoughts on the matter anyway. Props to Saturned for having the guts to make this thread

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Solution:
    Go to INTPc and come back after a month.